Author Topic: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 25544 times)

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
Re: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2011, 01:41:58 pm »
I lied. I didn't wait until the 26th. We drove out to Highwood Pass and hiked up on the east side of highway. Driving out we were wary, but once we actually got up into the alpine there was no question, it was going to be a good day. Threw down my first powder turns of the season, built a fun little booter, and found a decent drop with enough coverage on the landing. Hopefully we will head out there again next weekend, or at least once more before the highway closes for the
 season.

So how do you get to this place.  That looks like an awesome place to spend an afternoon!!!

Do you need any specific back country training?

Looks like sooooooo much fun!!!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2011, 03:04:26 pm »
So how do you get to this place.  That looks like an awesome place to spend an afternoon!!!

Do you need any specific back country training?

Looks like sooooooo much fun!!!

If I told you it wouldn't be my little secret ;)

There is definitely avalanche terrain up there, but I don't have any formal training. With my limited knowledge of avalanche conditions, we just stayed in the safer areas. This meant no big lines, and staying away from the steeps. I know MEC rents avalanche equipment and if there gets to be much more snow out there I would definitely rent a beacon, shovel, probe, do some reading, and then learn how to use it (practice!) before heading out.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2011, 08:58:03 am »
If I told you it wouldn't be my little secret ;)

There is definitely avalanche terrain up there, but I don't have any formal training. With my limited knowledge of avalanche conditions, we just stayed in the safer areas. This meant no big lines, and staying away from the steeps. I know MEC rents avalanche equipment and if there gets to be much more snow out there I would definitely rent a beacon, shovel, probe, do some reading, and then learn how to use it (practice!) before heading out.

Thanks man.  It doesn't actually look all that far from Calgary!!!  That's a big plus!!!

Anyone know where I could go get a course / training for Avalanche / back country riding?  I would LOVE to do this, but i simply don't have the balls to go out there without proper training.  Those mountains can literally eat you alive if you don't know what your doing.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2011, 09:00:05 am »
MEC has some great resources... http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary/Learn/Snowsports/AvalancheSafety.jsp

That link is in the the first post in this thread as well, along with a whole bunch of other useful links :)
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2011, 12:58:57 pm »
MEC has some great resources... http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary/Learn/Snowsports/AvalancheSafety.jsp

That link is in the the first post in this thread as well, along with a whole bunch of other useful links :)

Thank you very much.  I will have to take a good look at all that stuff :)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2011, 09:56:20 am »
I updated the first post with a list of resort opening dates, it mirrors the webcam thread.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2011, 01:14:57 pm »
Two of my favorite things... radical!

http://vimeo.com/signalsnowboards/ishred
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline booSTIn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »
Sunshine opening day today isn't it !?   Wonder how it is there.

I for one find panorama to be up there in the ranks, snow conditions haven't been the greatest the past few years, none the less they still have the most wicked back country spots....  An one kick assay resort/village to boot!

Hopefully I don't have to much trouble with my legs this year. Might have to take up skiing again! Going down a hill on a plank really wears on a guy.

rith

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:11 pm »
Booking for a trip to Revelstoke on Dec 15, 16, 17, 18  , 15th we'll drive down in the morning, get setup and board for the fri/sat/sun and hopefully get back in 1 piece before midnight sunday :P

Offline pie

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »
Day off on sunday = day trip. 

Is the gondola @ louise up and running yet?  If not I'll have to go elsewhere =(

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2011, 08:30:04 pm »
Two of my favorite things... radical!

http://vimeo.com/signalsnowboards/ishred

wow that was really cool, i can't believe they just thoguth of that and had the know-how to put it together....wonder how it would be like to ride an aluminum base haha

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2011, 12:35:34 pm »
So stoked for this season. All I have to do is wax my boards up and I'm good to go  8)

I've got some friends living in Revi so we are planning on making atleast one trip down there. Hopefully the first one is for New Years.

This is about the time where I wish I didnt live so far north and so I could make it to a good hill every weekend or so.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2011, 09:08:53 am »
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »
Looks like I'll be heading out that way.  Cousin is in town that weekend, and since she rarely rides, I'm going to assume we'll be hitting beginner- intermediate runs.

are most in your group skiing or riding?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2011, 01:27:15 pm »
Looks like I'll be heading out that way.  Cousin is in town that weekend, and since she rarely rides, I'm going to assume we'll be hitting beginner- intermediate runs.

are most in your group skiing or riding?

Should be a good mix, we will have some beginners as well, probably have a couple groups of people strewn about the mountain.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »
Ah bugger I will be hitting Sunshine that Saturday. Louis is a bit a stretch from Edmonton for the day :(
Anyone going to sunshine though?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »
Ah bugger I will be hitting Sunshine that Saturday. Louis is a bit a stretch from Edmonton for the day :(
Anyone going to sunshine though?

It's only half an hour further! That's only 1/48 of your entire day!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »
True true, but plans have changed as they always do for POW chasers. Marmot is opening up the top half of the mountain on Saturday after getting DUMPED on (61cm in the past 48hr) AND COUNTING.

This should get me at least a few pow turns. And for a first time out this season I don't mind. 

rith

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »
I'm going to marmot on saturday too!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »
A few of the BC resorts are open now! Fernie and Kicking Horse open next Friday... so much snow already, it's looking to be another epic season of storm chasing.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:25 pm »
Spotted several other subarus in the sunshine parking lot today.  Cold on the lifts wasnt it!

rith

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2011, 10:12:50 pm »
Marmot was pretty awesome for it being nov, lots of powder..
I got stuck twice in the trees by sinking :(

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2011, 12:39:21 am »
I found myself with a free day pass for Fernie today... it was solid gold. Knee to waste deep on the top half; such a great start to the season. Sounds like everyone else had a great day too! I didn't take any pics... I never do on the really good days. Anyone else get some photos?
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline bejamin

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Forester, 2002 Outback Wagon
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »
Just booked a 5 day trip to whistler in March, i can't wait!!!

A friend just skied there on Friday, said it was epic!!
"It's a rally car. And we were bored with chess"

rith

« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2011, 12:40:27 pm »
Went yesterday to marmot with the magic bus.  Conditions were great.. Got stuck TWICE in some super deep powder, went up to my waist and took me like 30min to move 20 feet through it, was so tired after..
Awesome day of fun for $140 :P