Author Topic: Slotato's wagon: For Sale  (Read 17779 times)

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2003 S2000, 1998 Civic
Slotato's wagon: For Sale
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:16 pm »
Current: Stage 2 Cobb OTS

Well I decided that I should start one of these since i need a place to write everything I've done down or ill probably forget, haha.

I bought my car on March 19/11 after looking since late 2010. I wanted something with a turbo  >:D, that was easy to get more power and wasn't FWD like my last car (protege5, fun car but not much power and i got bored of the fwd after a year and a half). i had heard some things about the wrx and there mystic ability to actually accelerate faster than a turtle so i decided to start looking into them and decided i wanted one  :P. So on March 18th after work on friday i hopped on a bus and started out on one of the most boring uncomfortable trips of my life and headed to winnipeg, to go pick up my 2005 WRX Wagon with 127,XXX KM's.

If you just want the short version and to see pics and mods/plans go down to the dashed line and continue reading after that. to get the full experience haha, continue on from here.

It seemed like the perfect buy. All maintenance history, always taken to Frontier Subaru, never modified (so i thought) and it was a Wagon 8). So i drove it home and ended up getting home around midnight. i had gotten a few rocks on my windshield on the way home but nothing out of the ordinary, and the first morning of owning the car i walk out to look at my prized new possession and i see a crack in the windshield  :'(.

So i take it to work to give it a good look over and i see that one valve cover is leaking one is seeping and there is a tiny bit of wetness around some spots of the timing cover (which had all recently been resealed at the subaru dealership. i also see aground cable that is supposed to be on the starter that is not hooked up. then some other minor things like seeping axle seals and a couple other minor easy fix things. o ya it also had a minor case of piston slap (figured it just gave it character, haha).

So besides the crack in the windshield and the few leaks that aren't too bad and i figure i'll get around too, everything is going awesome. im loving the car, finding all the wonderful noises it makes. clunking while shifting a little harder than normal (in goes the TIC klunk killer) and the wonderful grinding when slowing down with the clutch engaged (exedy replacement clutch that was put in not too long before i bought it, i have since found out that the spring design on the clutch can cause them too rattle).

so we are having a Saskatoon/Regina meet @ a small town in between them. i decide to go for a super awesome rally shot and bend a rim (which was all part of a master plan too get the wheels i really wanted ;)) so now i'm on a donut for the rest of the day and at the end have a fun hour long drive limited to 80km/hr ahead of me. on the way back something starts to feel a bit wierd in the back end like it is holding me back. i check the e-brake but it isn't on, and then i feel a pop and it frees up but now im hearing a rattling. i touch the e-brake handle again and i can feel the rattle in it so i figure there was a stone jammed in the brakes from my awesome rally driving ::) and it is not rattling around in there.so i get back home and go to work to check for damage from the bent rim (which turns out to be just the bent rim. but i realize that i can shake my axles at the diff quite a bit. and long story short my car came with extended warranty and i now have a new rear diff in my car (spider gear broke into 6 pieces and wrecked some of the other gears).

So the new rear diff is in and im on winter tires since one tire and rim is wrecked. I've really been wanting to do autox so i decide to buy new wheels and tires since i cant geat a replacement rim anymore and mine cant be fixed. so i get some 17x8 +48 gold ultraleggaras in 225/45 hankook ventus v12 blah blah blah long name tires. not the best but they were pretty cheap for what they are. so i get out to the autox track and i am marshalling the first heat then my heat comes up and im getting excited. i finish my run and get back in line. then i notice white steam coming from my hood. i take a look and there is coolant everywhere after only 1 run. so again it is back to work to take a look. and it ends up being that my engine moved arounf enough that my alternator pulley had been slicing my rad hose and on that run finally got through it. so on goes a new rad hose trimmed to give more than enough clearance and a kartboy pitch stop mount (love it).

Again all is going good and so i decide to order a Cobb Ap and go stg 1. and 2 days after ordering it and just at the beginning of cruise weekend when we are having the boxer battle my car decides it wants to spin a bearing, :-[. that was just over 2 weeks ago now and we are still sorting out with warranty what is going to happen, hopefully a new short block. This is where i find out that my car had been modifies before, as it has a Cobb uppipe on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHORT VERSION
-not the best work done by previous dealer
-cracked windshield
-bent rim (my fault obviously)
-rear diff broke (new one put in by warranty)
-Alternator sliced rad hose
-engine spun a bearing (replaced shortblock and cleaned and grinded heads under warranty along with a new turbo)

So right now my car is just sitting around with no engine in it and i figure why not do a few upgrades while it's out and hopefully make sure the loss of oil supply doesn't happen again. so just a few moments ago i ordered a killerB pick up and baffle and im getting an '06 STI oil pan and dipstick tube/dipstick also but haven't order them yet. and i also ordered a invidia catless downpipe the extra 02 bung, a Grimmspeed heat-shield, group N engine mounts and hella supertones. and im also going to get rid of that crap exedy rattle clutch and get an oem clutch.

So i will be updating this as i order and put stuff on my car and of course everyone really only wants to see pics so hear they are

Birds Hit: 4

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Saskatchatoon's Busted Wagon
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »

it came with the konig runaways

after the claybar and wax

Gauges

relocated clock

lights to help find cupholders at night, green to match dash lights

ridin high with no engine  :'(

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:57:21 pm »
MOD LIST

On car when bought

-Cobb cast 304SS uppipe
-Viper 5901 2-way remote start/alarm

Mods Done

Interior
  -ATI Clockpod (Plasti-dipped)
  -SMY Gauge Cluster surround
  -AEM boost,egt,oil pressure and wideband gauges (Digital except egt)
  -cupholder lights (to find cupholders at night, green) and extra hatch lighting (white)
  -Redline Goods shift boot and e-brake boot (Bride material with blue stitching)
  -Plasti-dipped centre console/radio surround
  -clock relocated to change holder
  -WeatherTech digital fit floor mats front and rear
  -02-04 black hazard switch
  -Kenwood KIV-BT901
  -Kenwood KFC-1664S speakers up front
  -Kenwood KFC-1064S speakers in the back

Exterior
  -Rally Armour mudflaps
  -debaged/front grille pillar delete
  -Bluebatmobile yellow fog overlays
  -Rear bumper protector
  -Subtle Solutions WRX front license delete plate
  -20% tint on back 5 windows
  -STI hoodscoop
  -Hella Supertones (Black)
  -Cleared headlights/Bezels painted satin black
  -Fog covers
  -HID high beams 4500k
  -LED license lights
  -Subaru crossbars

Engine, exhaust, etc.
  -Cobb AP V2
  -Kartboy Pitch Stop mount
  -Group N engine mounts
  -Invidia bellmouth downpipe extra o2 bung
  -M2 Performance 3" catback painted flat black
  -Kartboy extended urethane exhaust hangers
  -Grimmspeed turbo heatshield
  -Killer B oil pickup tube
  -Killer B baffle
  -06 STI oil pan, dipstick and dipstick tube
  -Painted alternator shroud some random textured silverish metallic
  -Silicone Intercooler hoses
  -Intake resonator / air funnel removed
  -FMS steel braided power steering line
  -Deatschwerks DW200 fuel pump
  -STI TMIC
  -STI Splitter
  -Intercooler water spray (STI nozzle and check valve, hooked up to rear window washer pump)
  -Perrin turbo inlet
  -K&N Intake (Plastidipped black)
  -Grimmspeed EBCS
  -Grimmspeed rad shroud
  -SokieTech hood dampers

Transmission etc.
  -TIC Klunk Killer
  -Torque Solution urethane transmission mount
  -TIC transmission crossmember bushings
  -COBB rear shifter bushing
  -TIC 5mt linkage update
  -TWM front shifter bushing
  -TWM short shifter
  -TWM weighted shift knob (bronze)

Suspension/Wheels
  -ebay rear strut bar
  -Whiteline quick release strut bar bolts (modded to fit)
  -17x8 +48 Gold O.Z. ultraleggeras
  -225/45r17 Hankook rubber
  -Painted Stock wheels blue, with pirelli winter rubber
  -ADMotorsports 25mm adjustable front swaybar (wagon specific)
  -Energy Suspension urethane front swaybar bushings
  -Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear swaybar
  -Whiteline urethane rear swaybar bushings
  -Kartboy Endlinks (front and rear)

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:55:54 pm »
Any news on the motor?  Or are you keeping that hush hush haha
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
Saskatchatoon's Busted Wagon
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:12 am »
It's just gonna be a regular 2.0 again this time the v7 is gonna have to wait. I just want to get it back up and running. I've had enough of the thunderbird, haha.

---
- Sent from my iSheep using Tapatlak

Offline Mischief

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Flip-Flopper
  • Ride: Can't keep up
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:10:36 am »
It's going to be fun when your car is running stage 2! Great build thread so far and it's a very nice read up on the history of the car (/jealous).

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:33:57 am »
Looking good. Seems youve done a lot of research. Well done. Every mod is tasteful so far. Keep up the good work.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37:58 pm »
Thanks, I've done quite a bit of reading up on as much as I can about this car. I like to know what are the weak points and the strong points.

---

Offline thought

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2011 STi Hatch, SWP Sport Tech
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:27:05 pm »
I can't wait for you to get your baby up and running again

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »
Update!!!
Just found out that insurance authorized a NEW shortblock!!
So I will have a new short block, heads cleaned and a new turbo!!
So glad to see this moving ahead.

Can't wait to get her back, and it really sucks that I'm not allowed to work on it.

---

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »
Thats great news. Refurbished or new shortblock. When I got my shortblock replaced three times, they could never guarantee me that it was new. The first one only lasted 300 to 400 kms, so I knew it was a faulty refurbished one. :)

As long as warranty/insurance covers it, your good to go.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 05:27:46 pm »
Oh ya, I did look before, and it is a refurbished shortblock.
And hopefully there's no problems with it, I don't want to have my car down during winter.

---

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »
Oh ya, I did look before, and it is a refurbished shortblock.
And hopefully there's no problems with it, I don't want to have my car down during winter.

---

I'm sure it will be fine. My first one only lasted 400ish kms because of human error. Subaru city in edm won't admit it, but the wrench monkey screwed up on the timing belt install. And the second time the monkey wrench screwed up on the camshaft. Lol. So the moral of the story, as long as the mech is half decent, I'm sure you will be fine.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »
Hey Brandon, does Subaru have to do it then or what's the deal.  Our secretary at work's husband is a tech. there.  I can say he knows his stuff that's for sure.
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:50:43 pm »
No, it can be done at my work. We dont actually deal with subaru at all. It is just directly with the company subaru uses for extended warranty. im just not allowed to work on it at all, for the warranty stuff :(. So i have to watch the other guys work on it while i work on other cars, i gotta say it's quite the distraction, haha.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »
got some parts from Touge Tuning!!

also repainted my grille and painted my alternator shroud

also took out my seats to vacuum

needs a good steam clean

and here is a pic of my cleaned heads

Offline thought

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 01:10:02 pm »
*jealous of your skills and shop*

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:36:16 pm »
Haha, working on your back under a car is pretty awesome too.
I should have had your grille done too but a bug landed on it and it just went bad from there. So hopefully it'll be finished next weekend.

So I got the downpipe mostly in, not gonna bolt it tight till the engine is in (hopefully tomorrow!) and the engine is pretty much all together.

Sent from my iSheep using Tapatlak

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 09:21:51 pm »
Very interesting build, good job, keep up the good work!
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:54:55 pm »
Wow, looks good!
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:12 pm »
Thanks, I'm definitely doing things faster than I intended, haha!

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »
It's back!!!! Took it out to start breaking it in/seat the rings. Feels great to be back in it!!!

It only took a month and 3 days, haha!

Offline thought

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 12:22:03 am »
Haha, working on your back under a car is pretty awesome too.
I should have had your grille done too but a bug landed on it and it just went bad from there. So hopefully it'll be finished next weekend.

So I got the downpipe mostly in, not gonna bolt it tight till the engine is in (hopefully tomorrow!) and the engine is pretty much all together.

Awesome!  I'm excited about getting rid of the huuuuge six-star badge.  So, how's the car running now?  How long until you giv'er full beans?

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 10:44:38 am »
Well talking with my dad, I've decided to up my top rpm every couple hundred rpm. I'm at 4,500 right now. And around a 1,000km is when I'm gonna start drivin however I want.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 10:54:31 am »
And here's some pics to keep everyone happy, haha.

I was getting a p0420 code for the last few months. It was the really random when it would come on, sometimes a full tank of gas inbetween. And when I looked at all the data it all looked good, except when I looked at the freeze frame, the rear o2 voltage would be 0.
But when I went to put my downpipe in, I took out my o2 sensor and the bung on the downpipe broke off. So I'm pretty sure the crack around the bung was my only issue.
This is the bung from the stock downpipe.

And this was the worst bearing

STI oil pan and group n motor mounts installed

And here is my grimmspeed heatshield and brand new turbo