Author Topic: the wonderful sounds of Roo are taking shape  (Read 3883 times)

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • rides spanning 20 years of boosted goodness
  • Ride: Pretty much everything
the wonderful sounds of Roo are taking shape
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:36:41 am »
welp..  just finishing up a pretty much ground-up stereo install in my wrx and i thought i'd throw it up here where some fellow sound enthusiasts might take a gander.

nothing extremely fancy or competition worthy, but definitely meets my needs, and i am very happy with it.  the goal is simple, clear, loud enough, and permanent.  i want to do it once and not have to replace and upgrade all the time.

Mount Audio.  starting the install

here's the basics:
-Pioneer AVIC F900BT head unit
-Optima Red Top
-Stinger 0ga power/ground (250A ANL fuse from battery) to trunk
-Bassworx AFS fused power distrobution block (0ga in, 2x 4ga out)
-Bassworx unfused distro block for ground (2x 4ga in, 0ga out)
-4ga power/ground wires from distro blocks to amps
-shielded RCA's x3 (can't remember brand)
-some random amp ignition wire, not that it matters
-Power Acoustik BAMF4000/1D mono sub amp
-Power Acoustik BAMF1600/4 4ch component amp
-Energy ENC650CV2 6.5" component front door speakers with crossovers and 1" tweeters (4ohm)
-Energy ENC525X2 5.25" 2-way coax rear door speakers (4ohm)
-IA performance complete speaker adapter kit for GD Subaru (absolutely excellent product)
-2x JL 12W3V3-4 12" single 4-ohm voice coil subs
-2x Audio Integrations perfect fit GD subaru specific subwoofer enclosures (driver and passenger sides)
-14ga shielded speaker wire ran fully from 4ch to all speakers (no factory wiring re-used)
-12ga shielded speaker wire from mono to each sub (wired parallel for 2ohm load)
-'Big3 and then some' for engine bay wiring, 4ga with 100A AFS fuse for alt-pos connection, 4ga neg terminal ground, multiple 8ga engine ground points feeding 4ga to neg terminal as well.

the system has the potential to draw far more current than the stock subaru alternator could ever hope to produce, and i've never really been a big believer in capacitors or second batteries/power cells etc. that are just band-aids to keep lights from dimming and such when the issue is that more power is needed than is being produced.   i plan to just fix the problem by replacing the stock 85ish amp alternator with a much more capable 200-250 amp one, and make sure the whole car has all the power it needs.

i'm looking at a few, the front runners being the PowerBastards Fitzall 220+ (universal: would take some work to install, but quite affordable and i've heard a lot of good things about performance and durability) and the DC Power Inc 250amp subaru specific (baller all-aluminum case, better idle and max amperage, direct fit plug and play, unfortunately twice the price of the fitzall).  with power production capable of over 3000watts, i'm sure starving the amps of power isn't going to be an issue.

when i beef up the alternator i'll also be beefing up some of the engine bay wiring, 0ga alt to pos with a 250Amp fuse, 0ga neg to ground etc

next, some install pictures

-sean
AWDsome.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: the wonderful sounds of Roo are taking shape
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:26:43 am »
so starting out, some stuff I had installed previously.  the head unit, 0ga power wire, all rca's, amp ignition wire, and some engine bay wiring improvements were already in place.

starting with the door speakers.  the ia performance speaker adapter spacers are great.  the full kit is only like $40 and has everything you need to upgrade speaker sizes.  the depth of aftermarket speakers is usually a problem for GD impreza's what with window clearance etc, but the kit had everything i needed.  it came with 2 thick brackets for the rear, 2 thick and 2 thin brackets for the front, extra washer type spacers for huge speakers, every screw you'll need, a brief install guide card that was actually quite helpful without being too in depth, a sticker (as everything comes with these days) and a sweet little weird smiling review mirror hangy ball decoration (which my roommate's cats immediately perceived as some sort of diabolical enemy and proceeded to tear to tiny shreds).  the thick rear brackets were perfect first shot, no clearance issues anywhere on the 5.25". i had window clearance issues when i tried using just the thick 6.5" front brackets, but doubling up with the thin bracket under the thick worked awesome.  the kit comes with extended door skin clips as well so you won't have clearance issues with the cone or surround of the new pushed-out speaker hitting the factory speaker grille.

here's the passenger rear door, all bracketed and wired up

here's the beefy 5.25" 2-way installed

and here's the finished product with the extended door clips.  can't even tell

comparison of crappy stock plastic speaker and new sexy real speaker

comparison of stock and new door clips

the front doors were quite a bit more involved.  i actually had no problem whatsoever installing the tweeters, because the case around the new set had a hole in the center of the back side (right where the stock tweeter screws to the bracket).  all i had to do was use the same screw to chew some threads into the the hole in the plastic case, and voila: mounted new tweeter to stock bracket.  lucky i guess

feeding speaker wire through the rubber boot for the door wiring harness is terrible.  horrible.  worst ever.   the rest was pretty good.  with the 2 brackets on each 6.5" woofer, there were no clearance issues, and once again there was lots of grille clearance thanks to the new door skin clips.  also, lots of room under the armrest lumpy ridge thing to put the crossover!

once again: can't even tell what's in there.  perfect :)

the trunk area makes me happy.  the Audio Integrations enclosures are pieces of art.  they use every little hole and dip in the rear corners of the trunk to make the biggest possible boxes that take up the least interior trunk space.  each enclosure has roughly 1.15-1.25 ft3 of inernal volume, which is pretty bang on for a lot of moderately powerful subs in a sealed enclosure.  might not be the best match for a 2500watt competition sub, but you're not in the market to save space if you're running something like that.

the boxes are thick fiberglass, they bolt right to existing holes in the trunk pan, they are solid and the carpet matches really well.  i'm super happy with them.

one of the deciding factors in amp choice was size.  i went with something compact enough to give me lots of mounting options (i still haven't finalized mounting spots yet).  i can mount them on either side of the pass through and still have it fully useable, or i can mount them under the rear deck and retain a maximum amount of useable trunk space. yet to be decided.

here's a couple snaps of the trunk as of now.

once everything was in and wired up, i had some alternator whine and startup/shutdown popping.  i did some research about possible issues, and it seems like a lot of head units (pioneer especially) have a very sensitive internal pico fuse for the grounding circuit of the RCA outputs.  apparently when this blows, the external outputs from the head unit can't ground their signal at the source and must use the whole length of the rca cables to ground at the amp.  this extra length to find a good ground allows the engine noise and other problems to enter the cables themselves.  i'm not sure when mine blew (head unit was purchased used, and previous setup used harness speaker wiring not RCA's) but i tracked down a couple potential solutions involving grounding the outer shield of the RCA outputs from the head unit right to the case of the head unit itself.  this provides the same ground impedance as the internal grounding circuit would, and essentially simulates the original circuit being unbroken.  i did exactly this with some random wire i had lying around and, lucky me, it works perfectly!  not a single noise, hiss, whine, pop, nothing except pure audio signal coming out of the system now!

i haven't tuned the setup yet, and i haven't blasted it real loud.  i'm going to wait until the new alternator is in before putting the system through it's paces, but even now it sounds terrific.  the components are known to be pretty bright sounding, so i have the crossovers down to -6db. the highs are still nice and crisp, but not tinny.  the speakers are absolutely clear as a bell, and the performance for the price can't be beat.  in fact i've had speakers in previous cars that cost easily twice as much that didn't sound this good.

the subs, well lets just say i underestimated them.  the w3 is a pretty mid-range sub for JL, and i was expecting not a massive amount of volume, but some good punchiness and quick response.  just so happens that they are loud as holy hell, and STILL quick and clear.  no slop, no out of phase echo, definitely a great sub for a sealed enclosure.

so there's still a few things left to do, but i'm very pleased with how it's turning out.  going to have to chase down rattles, put a little bit of dyanmat in the doors to warm them up a little, general tweaking.  i put a lot of thought and planning into matching the pieces of this system in an effort to keep it as simple and efficient as possible, and i'm very pleased so far.

i can't wait to finish off the beefier charging system and really give it some gas :D

-sean
AWDsome.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:50:01 am »
Have you looked into the audio integrations hidden amp rack? I think I read somewhere that they were going to be doing another run of them soon. It holds the amps up under te rear deck hidden and out of the way.

Looks good! I'm about halfway through a similar project for mine.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:48:42 pm »
Have you looked into the audio integrations hidden amp rack? I think I read somewhere that they were going to be doing another run of them soon. It holds the amps up under te rear deck hidden and out of the way.

Looks good! I'm about halfway through a similar project for mine.

Yes I sure have.  although it is a nice unit indeed, something in my brain just doesn't want to pay over $300 shipped for what is basically a piece of sheet metal with hinges on it ha ha..  I may try to make something similar myself, fail, and just end up getting one anyway. We'll see
Thanks for the comment, what sort of audio goodies are you putting in yours?

-sean
AWDsome.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 04:16:14 pm »
I've got an audio integrations single 10 box with a JL 10W6. I pre wired it for components up front and it's all powered by a HD900/5 under the drivers seat. The sport tech came with pioneer speakers up front (which are good enough for now) and a U310BT that I upgraded to a Z130. I'd still like to do some dynamatting at some point, but it's good enough for now.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 06:10:00 pm »
I wish that I had those brackets while doing my install. I just put in a deck and speakers and it probably took me longer then you  because i had to make 4 custom ones lol. Looks good I bet it sounds even better lol good job
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:25:43 pm »
AJ: good stuff! I'm a little jealous of you hatchback guys, it takes so little work to just be totally immersed in awesome sound. The interior of your guy's cars is like a resonance chamber ha ha. In a sedan you'd barely hear a single 10" in the trunk, but I bet yours pounds. I put a beefy 12" in the hatch of my rx7 for a few days once, almost killed me ha ha

tperkins: man, I can't even express how happy I am with the spacer kit. I probably couldn't even have got the materials to make my own brackets for $40 let alone have them be perfectly formed and include all the hardware ha ha. And yep it sounds great. Gonna sound insane with a new alt

Thanks guys

-sean

AWDsome.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:16 am »
AJ: good stuff! I'm a little jealous of you hatchback guys, it takes so little work to just be totally immersed in awesome sound. The interior of your guy's cars is like a resonance chamber ha ha. In a sedan you'd barely hear a single 10" in the trunk, but I bet yours pounds. I put a beefy 12" in the hatch of my rx7 for a few days once, almost killed me ha ha

tperkins: man, I can't even express how happy I am with the spacer kit. I probably couldn't even have got the materials to make my own brackets for $40 let alone have them be perfectly formed and include all the hardware ha ha. And yep it sounds great. Gonna sound insane with a new alt

Thanks guys

-sean

I have a single 8 inch slim under my passenger seat (boss600) and polk audio slim speakers all around.  sounds fantastic. 

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:53:00 pm »
quick update:  got the amps all mounted up..  went with the back of the seats just cuz it was easy.  might  do an amp rack in the future, we'll see

i'm still liking the massive amounts of useable trunkspace left, and keeping the full use of the pass-through.

oh, and i'm not sure if i mentioned or not, carpet and board were trimmed to leave full access to spare tire etc.

probably the last update for this until i get my alternator, i finally have some non-stereo related stuff ordered again haha.. looking forward to it!

been being a little more adventurous with the volume levels, and it sounds absolutely insane.  so clear, no distortion, but man do i ever have some rattles to track down.  still not gonna give it the full beans till i produce the amps to back it up.

-sean
AWDsome.

Offline T9Sniper

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:48 am »
Thanks for the great thread, I just dropped the same speakers into the front doors and using your info here it was a snap. I didn't get the kit but just a 1/4 inch 6X6 spacer and that was all I needed. The door just popped back on. You are right, threading the door boot was awful. Thanks again.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:33 pm »
no problem buddy, glad it helped :)

-sean
AWDsome.