Author Topic: The Wine Thread  (Read 10844 times)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
The Wine Thread
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »
Hey,

So I adore wine, and since we have a beer thread, I figure we need a wine thread as well.  Here are some of my recent favorites

2009 Pascal Toso Malbec Reserve - Argintina - ~18$ a bottle - Smooth, fruity and easy drinking red
2009 Township 7 Sauvingon Blanc - Naramata Bench BC - 22$ a bottle - crisp with a dry short after taste, and light citrus
2007 Township 7 Chardonnay oak barrel - Naramata Bench BC - 24$ a bottle - caramel and citrus
2008 Cave spring Chardonnay CSV - Niagra Escarpment On - 29$ a bottle - its been a while since i have found a bottle of this, i tasted it at the vineyard and loved it.  It was a bold Chardonnay
2010 Elephant island Black current - Naramata Bench BC - 20$ a bottle - this one is odd, its tart and fruity and pairs well with salty things.
2009 Elephant island pear - Naramata Bench BC - 20$ a bottle - light and crisp summer sipping wine
2008 Hillside estate Cabernet Franc - Naramata Bench BC - 30$ a bottle - Very bold Franc that needs decanting and pairs well with red meat, similarly to their Shiraz

Looking forward to recommendations :)

The haul from this year (2012)

8 bottles of elephant island black current
1 bottle of elephant island casis
1 bottle of elephant island crab apple
3 bottles of elephant island pear
1 bottle of elephant island blackberry
1 bottle of lake breeze pino nior
1 bottle of misconducts big take
1 bottle of cab franc from hillside estates
3 bottles of lang vineyards farm reserve reisling
5 bottles of township seven cab sav blanc
1 bottle of township seven reserve oaked chardonnay

Drank one of the black currents out of a gatorade bottle on the beach in penticton paired with sea salt and vinegar kettle chips and downed the crab apple at the campsite.  the black current is godly.  but the crab apple was just, ok.  couldnt taste it at the vineyard so i had to buy a bottle.  same goes for the blackberry

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
Re: The Wine Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:02:39 pm »
Nice. You seem to have many Canadian wines. Way to support locally, thumbs up.

Im no wine connaisseur but I love red wine.

My favourite red wine grape variety is pretty much any Cabernet Sauvignon from Southern Australia, Chili and France... yes I know, Cab Sauv is VERY strong but I love it. Its an acquired taste, just like coffee, beer, many high end cheeses and.... well.... anything that is good. :)

My second favourite is the grape variety of Malbec. After spending some time in South America, I realized that when I want something that is a little "lighter" to drink compared to a Cab Sauv but still maintains good flavour, is a Malbec from the region of Mendoza. Basically any brand/vigniard of Malbec wine that is from the Mendoza region in Argentina is great.

For cheap good Cab Sauv, I always grab a bottle of Wolfblass or Lindeman. Hmmm, might grab one tonite actually.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »
Definitely into wine.. but not a connaisseur.. just enjoy a nice glass.

I recently took my girlfriend down to Napa, Ca to spend some days doing wine tours and tastings... if you're a foodie, you'd also enjoy it there.

Basically went from Winery to Winery and drank wine until I couldn't taste the difference.. then kept drinking.

A few of my favourites:
Three Pears by Mason Cellars (Cali) - Really nice white... full of flavour, very fruity
Dona Paula Los Cardos (Argentina Malbec)
Castillo de Montserrat (Spain, Ganache)
Anything from the Phelan Vineyard, especially the Cab Sauv
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
I definitely love the red wine as well.

A couple of my favourites:

Fetzer Merlot - Napa California - Very nice easy to drink, goes with anything red wine.
Malbec - Argentina - Haven't tasted an Argentinian Malbec that I haven't loved, The one that the Gf and I have been getting lately is Trapiche (or something like that).

I'll add more as I find them, but I'm no connoisseur, so don't expect reviews like Jeff's from me  ::)
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
The Wine Thread
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:42:57 pm »
I've toured the Naramata bench and the Niagra Escarpment, the bench 5 times and Niagra once so that's where my love of Canadian wine comes from.  Canada makes amazing white wine, but if I want a red usually I go abroad, Italy, Argentina and France. 

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:06 am »
Gonna bump this back up and see if anyone has found anything new and interesting. 

EDJ picked me up a bottle of Elephant island Cabernet Franc and a bottle of Black current.  looking forward to trying the Cab Franc as its winning awards and is supposed to be fantastic. 

Im keeping my eye out right now for a nice bold peppery shiraz, and looking for ideas.  not found one i like yet.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:54:03 am »
If you're looking for a really nice white wine, try Kung Fu Girl by Charles Smith Wines. Also really nice is the Liberty School Cab Sauv (09)
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:19 am »
If you're looking for a really nice white wine, try Kung Fu Girl by Charles Smith Wines. Also really nice is the Liberty School Cab Sauv (09)

will do.  available at any local liquer store?  what country are these from?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:21 am »
Had a bottle of the Elephant Island Black Current last night with some fatty, salty pork; very nice pairing. I've never really been into fruit wines before, but that stuff is something else. Also picked up a bottle of Township 7's Reserve 7 Meritage 2008. Seeing as how I'm moving down to Penticton at the end of the month, this thread will probably be seeing a little more of me as I learn about wine and figure out what I like.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline hands..off

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:46 pm »
Im a complete wine noob, but I know what tastes good, and am a bigger fan of red than whites.
Lately Ive only been drinking three:

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:04 pm »
The significant other is a bit of a wine snob and has cultured me a little. Went to a few wineries around Kelowna when there a few weeks ago and got schooled a little in the process. I'm definitely a bigger white than red fan, even tho I'm told "real" wine drinkers drink red, I'm okay with that lol.

My favorite so far is 2010 Gewurztraminer from Summer Hill Okanagen BC

Offline hands..off

• Patchy Faced
The Wine Thread
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:38:06 pm »
Oh, oh! Side note...
Has anyone toured the Mission Hill Winery in Kelowna? I'll be in that area in Sept and am wondering of its worth it, what to look for, what to do, etc.
Thanks! (sorry for partial thread hijack!)

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:35 am »
I can't help but levitate towards wines created in the motherland (mine that is!) Some standbys that always make me happy:

Rosemount Shiraz or the Shiraz/Grenache blend
Bin 555 Black Label Shiraz
Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Cab Shiraz blend - drink this one by the gallon

Then a kick assay California drop called J. Lohr. I think that's a Cab Sauv blend, very yummy.
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:30 am »

My favorite so far is 2010 Gewurztraminer from Summer Hill Okanagen BC

brave man.  Gewurztraminer is my least favorite.  Far to sweet.  Also the hangover is murder.

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:13:02 am »
I'm on a Canadian wine kick at the moment.  My favourites are Jost Marechal  & Seyval Blanc, See Ya Later Ranch Rover & Gewurztraminer, and Sumac Ridge Pipe. 

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:46:43 am »
will do.  available at any local liquer store?  what country are these from?
Kung Fu Girl is a Riesling from Washington
Liberty School is from California
Both should be available at any liquor store that has a nice wine selection.

The fiancee and I went down to Napa last year (and got engaged there) and did a bunch of wine tours around there. Some great stuff but my fav was the Phelan Cab Sauv. I could drink that all day. I definitely drank more white while I was down there because it was 38 degrees during the day and when you're sitting in a courtyard in the shade of a tree overlooking vinyards... well... a nice chilled white really hits the spot.

There's also a new winery that people should try if you're passing through the Shuswap area. Its just off the highway between Kamloops and Salmon Arm. Sunnybrae winery. They've got a couple of amazing whites: SIEGERREBE and ORTEGA
http://www.sunnybraewinery.com/
They've just opened their tasting room last summer and I think they were going to open a patio to serve wine and cheese. Definitely worth the side trip. I think we're gonna order a few cases for the wedding.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:40:59 am »
I can't help but levitate towards wines created in the motherland (mine that is!) Some standbys that always make me happy:

Rosemount Shiraz or the Shiraz/Grenache blend
Bin 555 Black Label Shiraz
Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Cab Shiraz blend - drink this one by the gallon

Then a kick assay California drop called J. Lohr. I think that's a Cab Sauv blend, very yummy.

You and my sister would get along well, she loves her Australian Shirazs

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:03 am »
You and my sister would get along well

[shifty-eyes]

Offline Murray Peterson

• Patchy Faced
  • Profile pic by Ian Gulinao
  • Ride: Honda S2000
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:17 am »
Wines under $20 that I regularly buy:

Sandhill Cabernet-Merlot blend (Superstore liquor store)
Vieux Brandon (J. Webb)
Heartland Shiraz (J Webb)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 09:33:41 am »
couple bottles drank saturday

we destroyed a bottle of the elephant island black currant.  Looks like ill be bringing a case of that home in the next two weeks.  I LOVE THIS WINE

we also took care of a Italian Franchescobaldi that was interesting, it was tart and strong.  Pretty nice but i dont think ill buy it again.

We also took care of a nice cabernet franc from elephant island (cant remember the name) but it was pretty good.  I was actually not a huge fan.  I think it needed red meat.

Shopping list : (plus whatever else i decide to buy)

2009 Township 7 Sauvingon Blanc - half case
Elephant island black currant - half case
Elephant island pear - 3 bottles
Elephant island cab franc - 3 bottles

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »
Joie Farms (BC) Noble Blend is good.  After having a few bottles of their stuff I did some research into the winery, turns out I went to school with the proprieter.  Funny how that works.

Another good BC wine is Blue Mountain Pinot Noir, but is difficult to find here in Edmonton.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 01:47:02 pm »
Joie Farms (BC) Noble Blend is good.  After having a few bottles of their stuff I did some research into the winery, turns out I went to school with the proprieter.  Funny how that works.

Another good BC wine is Blue Mountain Pinot Noir, but is difficult to find here in Edmonton.

virtually all wines from bc are hard to get in alberta.  the good ones anyway.  i found its mostly ontario wine they send us... and most of it is really not that good.

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 04:01:49 pm »

I can't even find it in Connect Logistics.  http://www.liquorconnect.com/

I guess you can only order it from the winery direct or find it in restaurants. 

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »
canehdianJ, have you been to Misconduct Winery out here before? The dude who runs it is super rad and they have some great reds. I really enjoyed "The Big Take", a blend of Merlot, Cab Franc, and Cab Sauv. Absolutely friggin delicious with BBQ.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 08:52:04 pm »
canehdianJ, have you been to Misconduct Winery out here before? The dude who runs it is super rad and they have some great reds. I really enjoyed "The Big Take", a blend of Merlot, Cab Franc, and Cab Sauv. Absolutely friggin delicious with BBQ.

MUST.  GO. TO. THIS. VINEYARD