Author Topic: Video editing software question  (Read 2626 times)

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
Video editing software question
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:16:28 pm »
I'm trying to cut down a video that my friend shot with his GoPro on the weekend, and I don't seem to be having much luck with it as far as quality goes. The video is 30 minutes long, takes up 1.76 gb of space, and I want to chop the first 5 minutes and the last 7 minutes from it. I've tried using the Windows Movie Maker software installed on my computer, but it can't edit an MP4, so I converted it into a .wmv file. When I went to import it into the program, it was too big so the computer said no. I then downloaded Pinnacle Video Spin from the interwebz, and it let me cut the video down where I wanted, but the play back quality sucks.

So here's the question, what are you guys using for this? I've seen some great quality video's made here that have been shot from a GoPro, so I figured this would be a good place to start.

Thanks,
KJ
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
Re: Video editing software question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »
Are you looking for something free or paying for an actual product? 

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:32:50 pm »
Are you looking for something free or paying for an actual product? 

I would prefer free, but I'm open to options as I'll hopefully getting a GoPro or something similar in the spring. Not looking to spend a fortune though.

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:40:14 pm »
I would prefer free, but I'm open to options as I'll hopefully getting a GoPro or something similar in the spring. Not looking to spend a fortune though.

Well, since you're a teacher (?), you could always get the education edition of Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 but that's pricey.  If you're looking for cheaper, you could always go with a Sony Vegas product (I don't know which version would suite you best).

Or, you can always give this converter a try:  http://www.squared5.com/

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »
You are gonna slap me Kevin but.....

iMovie is free with Mac and really is quite incredible. Easy and fast/fun to use.
We edited this vid with it pretty quickly for fun.

I am working on a film score right now, and the whole movie was edited in final cut pro (not by me of course)

But that is the pro option.  However it's pricy :(

I used some free ones back in my PC dayz but never found one a really liked.

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:57:48 pm »
I've used Free Video Cutter with some success for just chopping video.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:55:48 am »
Great job on splicing that video together Vicar. I like how the music doesn't cover up the engine sounds. I've read some good things about iMovie, but I'm a PC, and can't afford to switch right now. As for the free versions available, it looks like they all reduce the quality somewhat, and that just doesn't do it for me. I did some checking on the Adobe software, and I can get a deal through SAIT where they pay for it, so I'm going to go that way as we shoot a lot of video during our shop demos.  It won't be in till Monday or Tuesday, so after I figure it out, I'll post the results here. Thanks for the great input guys  :)

Oh, BTW, anyone have a problem watching a video of some big dual sport bikes riding Harold Creek Road  :P

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:12 am »
thanks man, and you are welcome!

let us know how it goes :)

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 12:47:28 am »
Another option I have used is this free, open source, linux stuff: http://www.kdenlive.org/

It took some work installing it on my Macbook, and apparently you cannot install it on Windows, however you can run it on a windows machine from a live CD. (http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/frequently-asked-questions/can-i-test-kdenlive-my-windows-computer)

I barely scratched the surface (it was for a school project) but it seems to be a pretty powerful piece of software.

Side-by-side comparison with Windows Movie Maker:
http://video-editing.findthebest.com/compare/13-31/Kdenlive-vs-Windows-Movie-Maker

Good overview of features, and links to various versions (including live cd) under "Downloads": http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kdenlive-stable-versatile-free-crossplatform-video-editor-linux-mac-live-cd/

Apparently the distro called AV Linux (available as a live cd) is tailored specifically for Audio and Video editing. I've been using the live cd for a few months but haven't yet really played with the tools and applications that come with it.  http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

Quote from: Overview
AV Linux is a non-GPL custom shop modded and rodded Linux based Operating System built from a hand-picked selection of available tools including Debian/GNU Linux, the LXDE Desktop Environment and Remastersys. AV Linux is first and foremost a well-rounded OS suited for most common daily computer tasks and runs on most PC's and Intel Macs. On top of this versatile base is a full complement of the best Linux Audio and Video creation software encompassing both open-source excellence and commercial demos. AV Linux can be operated in a variety of ways including running from a LiveDVD, LiveUSB or installed to the Hard Drive either by itself or as a Dual-Boot with another Operating System.

edit: there's also this: http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/
I haven't tried it. Apparently it's "available for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows under the GNU GPL license."

also: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/312382-Try-Linux-Video-Editors-on-Windows-the-easy-way
Using portable linux from a usb drive on a windows machine, and then testing out KDEnlive or OpenShot  (would be unbearably slow, however)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~