Author Topic: What happens when you add water/meth injection?  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
What happens when you add water/meth injection?
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
You lose power.

What?

When water/meth is injected into the air stream, it lowers the temperature and the mixture burns slower.  Slower burn is similar to igniting the mixture too late (not enough ignition advance) and doesn't produce as much torque.  How much lower?  Here is an example: as much as 25ft-lb and 25whp was "lost" when the system was activated.

To get the power back and then some, the mixture has to be leaned out and ignition advance added.  If the turbo setup allows it, more boost can be run as well.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: What happens when you add water/meth injection?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »
And when the system is tuned? What do you get? :)

Im excited about my new HFS-6... but it'll wait until I get a new turbo so I can run more boost as well.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:21 am »
I'll try to find the thread, but I've read that meth will increase the deterioration of your ringlands. Unless you have very good compression to start with adding meth and more boost will only weaken your engine. I can't remember the thread, but it is the reason I haven't set-up a meth system yet.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:04 am »
Yeah, Im going to do a compression test on the motor before adding meth and a new turbo... but i assume its the higher cylinder pressures that you can run leading to faster deterioration of the ringlands.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
I'll try to find the thread, but I've read that meth will increase the deterioration of your ringlands. Unless you have very good compression to start with adding meth and more boost will only weaken your engine. I can't remember the thread, but it is the reason I haven't set-up a meth system yet.

If you are referring to the corrosive nature of methanol in relation to the Aluminum in the engine, consider that E85 is mostly Ethanol and that is also corrosive to Aluminum.  I am pretty sure the FFV running around uses aluminum engine/pistons :).  I think you have to submerge the metal in the stuff for it to be an issue.  The fuel handling components (fuel pump, lines, etc) have to be made from different material though.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)