Author Topic: 2011 Control Arms on 09 GR. Rear subframe bushings.  (Read 2552 times)

rith

2011 Control Arms on 09 GR. Rear subframe bushings.
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »
Got around to installing the 2011 control arms on my 09 STI along with the rear subframe bushings.

Control Arm Install went well considering I'm kind of a noob to mechanical type stuff. All of the bolts came off easily w/ the impact wrench.
In the future if I remove the control arms I'll disconnect the end links before jacking it up so they're not loaded.

Rear subframe bushings were super easy to do..  Jack rear up, put it on jackstands, pull the 6 bolts out, lower diff down a bit,  remove washers, hammer down the tabs on the large top washers, grease up inserts, squeeze them in, put washers back on, put bolts back in, raise diff, torque down bolts.
Pretty easy.

First impressions, car feels less sloppy in the front end, the 255 tires aren't wandering around like they did before with the 09 control arms. Doesn't feel like I have to correct as much anymore, Before it felt like I was running huge oversized mud tires on the car, making the tires follow any sort of deformity in the road.

Rear end feels stiffer and more planted, it doesn't feel like the rear is shifting around too much under load now.
Anyways, the car feels a bit more predictable now.

Both seem like great upgrades for anyone with a 08-10 that has already done other suspension stuff. (in my case, rce blacks/rce sways)

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Cholo
Re: 2011 Control Arms on 09 GR. Rear subframe bushings.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »
I knew they re-did some of the suspension components on the '11s to help run a quicker time around the Ring but wasn't sure exactly what they changed. Good writeup and even better to hear some solid results even after doing the sways. I have an '09 and done with power mods for the winter, just gonna collect suspension parts for now. What kind did you go with? Aftermarket or did you order straight from the dealership. 
Yeah your car is like a mythical creature.

*was

rith

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:16:02 pm »
Went with RCE sways and RCE regular guy springs, bought all of it from Dales Alignment.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »
I think he meant the control arms and bushings.

I believe the control arms would be a dealer order item. They upgraded to a pillowball style rear bushing instead of a chunk of rubber that's full of holes and is supposed to deform. You can get replacement press in bushings from Whiteline and Perrin and a couple others that can add caster as well if that's what you're after. They'll probably be cheaper than 11 control arms and will be about the same amount of labour.

As for the subframe bushings, based on the install notes I'd say it sounds like the Whiteline subframe bushing inserts. They are about $50-$60 and fill the voids in the stock bushings with PU. The 11's have stiffer bushings, but to replace an entire bushing you have to drop the rear subframe and press them out. If you're going through that much work though it'd be a better investment to get the Whiteline bushing replacements instead of OEM bushings or inserts. Whiteline is making an insert for the 2011's, but it's only been released in Australia so far. Hopefully not long before it makes it over the pond, they're definately on my want list.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

rith

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:09 pm »
I think he meant the control arms and bushings.

I believe the control arms would be a dealer order item. They upgraded to a pillowball style rear bushing instead of a chunk of rubber that's full of holes and is supposed to deform. You can get replacement press in bushings from Whiteline and Perrin and a couple others that can add caster as well if that's what you're after. They'll probably be cheaper than 11 control arms and will be about the same amount of labour.

As for the subframe bushings, based on the install notes I'd say it sounds like the Whiteline subframe bushing inserts. They are about $50-$60 and fill the voids in the stock bushings with PU. The 11's have stiffer bushings, but to replace an entire bushing you have to drop the rear subframe and press them out. If you're going through that much work though it'd be a better investment to get the Whiteline bushing replacements instead of OEM bushings or inserts. Whiteline is making an insert for the 2011's, but it's only been released in Australia so far. Hopefully not long before it makes it over the pond, they're definately on my want list.

Yeah I know, I bought the control arms and new bolts from Dales, he gave me a better price than the local stealerships.

And I dont think the full bushing replacements are a smarter idea, you have to press them out (which isnt a small task) while with the inserts you just have to drop the subframe a little, lube up the inserts, push them in by hand and bolt it back up.

Control Arms swap again is a better option than the bushing replacement on the 08-10's, You need a press to push out the existing bushings and press in the new ones to keep using the 09's.... (not by hand) the control arm swap is literally 3 bolts to remove and put back on for each arm.

I managed to crossthread one of the subframe bolts.. I'm leaving it there, I won't worry about it.. it's not squeeking haha.. I did start it off by hand but I'm guessing the threads got damaged or I didnt thread it enough.. :P

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:30:51 pm »
I didn't know Dale's sold the Subaru control arms, cool. As far as the bushings go, I definately agree that the bushing inserts are the way to go, but if someone was considering replacing the 08-10 Subaru bushings with the 11 Subaru bushings because they're "improved", I would then recommend the full PU replacements because although the 11's are better, they still suck.

If you have access to a press then it would come down to a cost comparison for replacement LCA bushings or replacing the entire arm.

Did you do the front bushing as well while you had the control arms off?

I've also heard that the transmission cross member bushings, a stiffer transmission mount and rear diff bushings also go a long way to making the car feel more solid.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline BuzSTid

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:45 pm »
any updates on the performance of the 2011 lca's? i am looking at doing the upgrade for my 08

rith

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
When I swapped over I didn't find too big of a difference mainly because my outer tie rod was gone ::)

I'm sure its a worthwhile upgrade, the stock rubber donut bushing does wear out.