Author Topic: Head Gasket Issues  (Read 9322 times)

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: My own two feet
Re: Head Gasket Issues
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 08:14:00 am »
I have 210,000km on my STi, and it's been stage 2 for half it's life.
Do your regular maintenance and don't red line it on every shift and it'll last a long time.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 08:52:02 am »

I have a 98 leggy 330000km on it beat the hell out of it doing tsds and rally cross has not given up yet. I do run shorter oil change intervals. But that's about it.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 10:52:10 am »
So they aren't reliable? 16, male, SW calgary

Offline Grasp

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Soren
  • Ride: All Toyota, All the time haha! 1990s Hiace Van, Crown Athlete with 1J! and Altezza
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:48 am »
Uh, did you just give a new, young guy the "you think I mean one terrible thing, but it turns out okay" meme?
Might want to check next time that it doesn't begin with murder and end with homosexuality - especially with a 16 year old.

hum.  Anyways, welcome, and Subarus are fantastic.  You know this, because you are here.  Try to find something low mileage, and be aware of which models are prone to this issue.  I had a 99 wagon, and it was a beast.  Very good mechanically, and never had issues.  Loved that car.
Right is tight. Come Check out the Import-Era
http://import-era.com

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 01:15:45 pm »
Uh, did you just give a new, young guy the "you think I mean one terrible thing, but it turns out okay" meme?
Might want to check next time that it doesn't begin with murder and end with homosexuality - especially with a 16 year old.

hum.  Anyways, welcome, and Subarus are fantastic.  You know this, because you are here.  Try to find something low mileage, and be aware of which models are prone to this issue.  I had a 99 wagon, and it was a beast.  Very good mechanically, and never had issues.  Loved that car.

impreza wagon? and turbo or non-turbo? what would you suggest?

Thanks for the scare jutes, I will forever be sleeping with one eye open....

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 01:24:59 pm »
Na wagon would be good. Depending on year you can find them for 500 to 10000.

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 02:18:06 pm »
ya so far I have found a bunch of wagons on kijiji, any other places I should be looking?

Offline Grasp

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Soren
  • Ride: All Toyota, All the time haha! 1990s Hiace Van, Crown Athlete with 1J! and Altezza
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 02:47:51 pm »
If you are feeling adventurous, then perhaps something like this:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Subaru-Impreza-2-5-Rs-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ321052137
If you could do a RHD car, then this would be the one.  Good colour, body at a glance looks pimp, and LOW K's, plus bargaining power.  Probably get it for 2500 or so?
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-Subaru-Impreza-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ329152334
Another way to go for RHD and more POWAAA!
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-low-km-1995-Subaru-Legacy-twin-turbo-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ328311926

Not terrible for K's
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2000-Subaru-Legacy-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ328205825

Just some suggestions of what I'd look closer at (without knowing your budget)
Lots of these cars on the 'jeej right now are 230,000+ Km.  Some even over 300+  wow.  That's decent longevity.
Right is tight. Come Check out the Import-Era
http://import-era.com

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions! would the '04 rs be a good option? My budget is mainly under $5500 my parents will match whatever I contribute up to $2000 each (they are divorced) and currently I am pretty broke and applying for jobs everywhere. I will need the vehicle by the beginning of second semester, so end of january. how much would parts cost for that?

I can't do a JDM, I don't want the RHD and my dad won't let me.

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 03:20:46 pm »
You might get pretty close to 5500 with that 04. He has listed roughly 1-1500 in damage. Who knows what else is wrong.

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 03:23:49 pm »
could I do used parts instead of new? and is 1000-1500 the price if I took it into a shop or for parts?

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »
If you are replacing fender and bumper its going to look gehto as hell unless you get them blended. Tie rod ends strut LCA your looking maybe 1k used bumper and fender couple hundred for used.

So doing your own work your around 2k, If you get a shop to do it you would be looking close to 3-4k.

Keep in mind i'm guessing at some of this but you need to leave a health margin for tho Oh itshay stuff. It would suck to get it all pulled apart and realize you need another 1k in parts and not having the cash.

If you do want to pick it up get it looked at by a good shop and go from there.

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 04:52:29 pm »
Regarding reliability:

Depends on the engine.
IMO:

EJ22's are damn near indestructible. I had a legacy with 330K on it.

The NA EJ25 headgasket issues for most years. In the RS' and foresters I'd be surprised if they made it 200K without needing a HG replacement. If I was shopping one I'd budget for it needing to be done if it hasn't recently.

EJ205 in the 2002-2005 WRX is okay-ish. They don't handle modding very well though as the bottom end is pretty weak. If stock I think they are mostly reliable.

The EJ255 & EJ257 are much sturdier and have fewer problems at moderate modding levels.

The EJ207 is smooth like butter, and reliable.

I wouldn't buy a turbo subaru and expect the engine to last 300K without keeping a close eye on it.

To ad to it: I think the post 2003 EJ25s are more reliable than the previous years.
The cars are generally reliable, though not without their quirks. There are a good number of random noises you'll be told are because "it's a Subaru." They aren't as reliable as a Toyota or Honda, but are much more car.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 05:00:38 pm »
ej25? is that engine? sorry I'm still new.

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »
Yes its whats in pretty much every Subaru made for north America since 2002 excluding turbo models and leggys with an H6.

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 06:51:07 pm »
alright, thanks!

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »
if you're looking for reliability definitely go for the ej22, mines at 280 000kms and still running strong.

Offline alistairh

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 Sedan
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:47 pm »
My odometer says 16k km's, and I've only gone through one engine, two exhausts, a rear main, and four clutches!

My buddy got an old ej22 legacy, we recently did the oil/water pump as PM w/ 240k+ km's on the clock. The ORIGINAL fuel pump finally died just recently.

I Broke what, and it's going to cost HOW MUCH to fix?!
343AWHP/425AWTQ - Airboy POWER!
Rockin a DGM Sedan since before it was cool

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 01:54:04 am »
btw just a heads up, the headgaskets went on my n/a 2007 legacy.  had about 80 000kms on the motor --EJ253 series.  i really figured subaru had fixed the issue by now, but i guess not.  it's strange cause all the maintenance has been done to the T according to the subaru maintenance guidelines and i've kept an eye on the fluids.  i did notice the coolant dropping every once in a while but i never had issues with overheating.  i drive like a grandma and my car is even automatic.  so, luck of the draw i guess  ;D  fortunately, vex is taking care of the repair for me.

to be safe.  you should buy a honda civic and have no worries.  >:D

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 06:39:44 am »
Did you look at taking it to a dealer? You are still within warranty on mileage might be tight time wise tho.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 10:23:48 am »
nope.  car was manufactured dec 2006.  car is also from the US since i used to live there.  so i didn't bother cause i do my own maintenance most of the time, and i'm pretty sure i don't have every single oil and parts receipt proving my maintenance and what not since i've probably moved about 7 times in the past 5 years (i have may be 75% of it and most of it logged on mysubaru). 

i could maybe argue my case and have subaru extend the warranty coverage based on "goodwill"  but to be honest, i don't really care at this point, just wanted to get it fixed instead of dealing with cross-border warranty, staying on the phone for hours at a time dealing with automated telephone systems and then low level clerks, to middle managers before finally getting in touch with someone who will just tell me i'm SOL. 

uckfay that noise.  i've dealt with it too many times before.  and what's to say the OEM gaskets aren't going to go again once they get replaced, pretty sure if i asked for aftermarket gaskets at the dealer under a warranty repair they'd tell me to GTFO haha.  yes, i'm a jaded individual.

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
I was guessing something like that. It can't hurt to check if your dam close. But regardless vex has a fantastic set of techs who do good work.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

Offline smrt_ass_engr

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 12' Audi S4, 99' 2.5RS
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2012, 03:30:46 pm »
whats this?  a post in the NA section, get out !!  :o

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:02 pm »
to be safe.  you should buy a honda civic and have no worries.  >:D
A Honda with no worries about head gaskets:o