Author Topic: How To: Replace Combination Switch (Signal Stalk) GD  (Read 1439 times)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
How To: Replace Combination Switch (Signal Stalk) GD
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
Symptoms:
At random times if I turned a signal light on while the headlights were on, the headlights would turn off. Turn the signal lights off, and the headlights would come back on. This would happen for both direction of signal.
Once this happened once, everything would work properly until the next time I started the car.

As well, when going over bumpy terrain like a gravel road or winter roads covered in packed snow, the headlights would flicker slightly. Not a direct "on/off", but I could tell something was jiggling.

There are several threads on nasioc about this, but this one:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888182
...led me here:
http://www.honest-bob.com/combo-switch-fix
(Note: exactly 1 day prior to me doing this replacement, the above site went down. Google cache saved it, but who knows if it exists as of right now as you are reading this.)
After seeing that this problem resurfaced for the guy a few months after fixing the grounds, I decided just to order the whole damn thing and replace it.
Also, verify that all your relays are working properly before trying this fix.

So here we are.
How to: replace combination switch on steering column to stop the headlights from flickering and turning off whenever they damn well please.
This replacement was done on a 2006 USDM STI. It should work on any GD, and probably works on most subarus.

Part:
83115FE051 - ~$60 from SGP

You'll need a philips screwdriver. 1 size will work if you know what you're doing, but you could use a bigger one and a smaller one. Figure it out.
(You'll also need a 10mm wrench to undo the neg battery cable)

We'll be working in this general area here.

Start by disconnecting the battery ground. This seems like a fairly simple mod, but I always disconnect the battery whenever I'm doing anything near the steering wheel to prevent any white powder explosions from happening.

Locate the steering wheel.
If your hat is sidewayz, it will likely be on the wrong side of the car.

Lower the steering wheel to it's lowest point, and leave the lever down. It will need to be down to remove the bottom half of the steering column cover.
Locate the screw on the bottom of the cover, and remove it.
Here's a blurry picture to help you find it.
(Notice the lever for the height adjustment is up. Do as I say, not as I do. Lower it.)

Remove the lower cover. It is held to the top cover by clips. You can just tug on it and it will come off. If you cry like a little girly baby when you break clips, you can push *in* on the top cover at the seam and pull *out* on the bottom cover at the seam. I've owned a Mazda3 GH. Breaking clips doesn't phase me anymore.
You should probably just man up and pull it off.

Once the bottom cover is off, you can see the bottom screw holding in the signal switch. You still need to remove the top cover to get at the top screw.
There are two screws holding the cover down.
Here's one.

The other is in the middle of the column. Slide the screwdriver up between all the bits and bobs, as shown.

You don't need to remove the top cover. Once the 2 screws are gone, you can just bump the top cover up an inch to reveal the top screw on the switch.

Unplug the harness plug from the switch.
It's the big one. You really can't miss it. If you miss it, look again. Jeez, do I have to hold your hand through this entire process? Stop crying and unplug the damn thing.

Remove the 2 tiny screws holding in the switch. This will need the smaller philips (or just be efficient, use the same damn screwdriver and stop whining about it)
When the screws are out, the switch just slides out to the side.

Make sure you have the same one.

Reverse all above procedures to install.
Reset steering wheel height to your preferred position.
Reconnect battery.

Start car, go for a drive.