Author Topic: Red's Not So Red Brighton  (Read 10474 times)

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
Red's Not So Red Brighton
« on: December 09, 2011, 12:32:58 am »
Whelp, I think it's time I added my wagon to the selection of projects in the ongoing department.

What I've got:
1998 Subaru Impreza Brighton Wagon.

Originally a Victoria car, bought by a little old lady who never drove it hard. Sold it to my a family member of some relation, whose family out grew it with the addition of their second child. So they sold it to me, for 3500 with 114,000 KM on it. So November 6th of last year, I was on my way home with a monster.

Issues when first got it:
- I've never driven stick, so the first drive home was... graceful. Yeah, graceful.
- The roof racks that came with whistled. The entire way. At any speed. Needless to say, first 20 minutes home, I had removed them and have yet to put them back on, and likely never will, so anyone who wants them, PM me.
- Had summer tires on, took off the Yokohamas and replaced them with blizzacks (both sets came with rims and with the car, ALRIGHT).

Really wasn't paying attention to the issues cause I was ecstatic, first time being back into a car - that I could call my own, and not a truck - since my previous car had kicked the bucket.

Then I was back up in Edmonton, with no car. Because of where I lived, being in college, and not making any money I left my car at my parent's place in Ponoka, so I didn't drive it for a week. Then the Remembrance Day weekend came, off to BC! In a standard car. During the first snow fall. ALRIGHT. Had no issues driving stick after getting back from the 2 days, after changing gear every thirty seconds (according to my mom). In my defense, I was wanting to learn and what better way to try and try again?

So for the rest of the school year (taking Telecommunication Eng Tech *important*), I only drove it on weekends to and from Red Deer, and the occasional Edmonton week. So what better time to start researching modifications. I joined DirtyImpreza.com and by coincidence, EDJ found me, and suggested I join WSC. Go to Burger Bar meet almost immediately after joining, where I met GrantC, Zac, I'm sorry (drove back and forth between Calgary, and just recently moved there) and I'm sorry can't remember your names (white 08+ STi wagon, complained about how the JDMs have Recaros and push button start). Any rate, I thank you for being so welcoming.

Some time later: enter, Rocky Mountain Rally: Result: The way I wish to take my car. NO, not a rally car.

I really liked being behind the scenes of the rally, something about helping everyone else enjoy racing, being right up close to these cars that the owners have babies in the garage and tormented on the road, is just awesome. And the people I was working with really made me want to do it again. But I really wanted to operate the radio. Because I like hearing the sound of my own voice and cause of what I'm about to graduate in (give or take a few months). This will also give me the opportunity to retain what I will be learning in the next semester, and go further than the curriculum.

TL;DR Impreza Radio Car

Necessary Modifications:
- Get better suspension. Something that keeps fairly close to stock height, or a little lower.
- Remove stereo. Only have 2 working speakers, and one doesn't work half the time.
- Remove radio antenna to make way to whip.
- Get advanced amateur radio licence, wait, that's for me.
- Fire extinguisher. 

What I've done so far:
- Debadged
- JVC stereo install, BTW, it's not the greatest of ideas to do an install in -20 or to keep the car running, or to keep the dome light on while doing stereo work (I didn't realize the dome light and stereo were on the same circuit. Lesson learned)

Optional Modifications:
- Install Roof scoop (need a frame ordered from Japan, know where to get it)
- Put the car on a serious diet to make way for:
- Tire pump in back, along with 120V converter. You just never know. Plus wagon, I got the space :D
- And relocate battery to wagon.

So yeah, this won't see much action until I start making some money and not be in college anymore. But that's the plan.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
Re: Red's Not So Red Brighton
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:53 am »
That's a pretty cool idea for a build. The car certainly has the room to run a bunch of gear. You could try replacing the rear springs if you end up having trouble with butt-sag after installing something heavy, but I don't know what you could replace them with.

Jealous of your 1998 and its fancy re-bushable shift linkage. :)

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:46:32 am »
That's a pretty cool idea for a build. The car certainly has the room to run a bunch of gear. You could try replacing the rear springs if you end up having trouble with butt-sag after installing something heavy, but I don't know what you could replace them with.

Jealous of your 1998 and its fancy re-bushable shift linkage. :)

Is there a difference of linkages between your 97 Leg and mine? I'm really not up on the technical stuff at the moment.

I don't think I'd get that much equipment installed in there to require heavier suspension O,o
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:57 pm »
I had a considerable amount of sag with a ~200lb transmission sitting in the back of my Outback Sport so it might be worth doing some measurement. That said, the OBS has soft springs.

The linkage is different; TiC has an entire linkage replacement for the 98+ that will fix a lot of the shifting issues and make it user-serviceable but I'm probably screwed on replacing anything other than the return spring.

Have you figured out how to get your rear seats to fold completely flat instead of just hunched over yet? I was shocked when I found out about it.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:56:05 pm »
Have you figured out how to get your rear seats to fold completely flat instead of just hunched over yet? I was shocked when I found out about it.

laff.
This one is awesome.
Definitely on the list of "itshay about your subaru you never know until someone shows you"

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 03:49:49 pm »
I had a considerable amount of sag with a ~200lb transmission sitting in the back of my Outback Sport so it might be worth doing some measurement. That said, the OBS has soft springs.

The linkage is different; TiC has an entire linkage replacement for the 98+ that will fix a lot of the shifting issues and make it user-serviceable but I'm probably screwed on replacing anything other than the return spring.

Oh sweet, I'm adding this to the "itshay about your subaru you never know until someone shows you" list... I have a feeling that it may get quite long...

I was planning on getting stiffer springs and better struts, bushing, everything due to a leaky front strut, and then the other side went. So I'll do everything at once. If it'll be outta commission, it'll be out for as long as possible.

The seats confused me at first, I was looking for the handle thingy underneath the back seat (where it was on the Volvo), until Scott showed me.

Oh! I shall have to install a tach eventually, the brighton model never came with one.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline vicali

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 98 GF4 L, 08 Foz AE
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 04:32:00 pm »
nice wagon  :)
When I picked mine up it had a set of wheels in the back,
so it did the saggy butt all the way home.
mike

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 05:07:23 pm »
nice wagon  :)
When I picked mine up it had a set of wheels in the back,
so it did the saggy butt all the way home.

That is quite a wagon you got yourself :D I like the rims you got going on.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:27:10 pm »
Oh! I shall have to install a tach eventually, the brighton model never came with one.
You should be able to just swap in an alternative gauge cluster if you don't want to make your dash look terrible with a Walmart tacho. All of the wiring is already there but the gauge cluster is different between models.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:17:03 am »
You should be able to just swap in an alternative gauge cluster if you don't want to make your dash look terrible with a Walmart tacho. All of the wiring is already there but the gauge cluster is different between models.

The eyes have been on the watch, but the clusters seem really expensive. And are rather picky unless it's from the same year. But I'm not in much of a hurry, so long as I can still hear the engine, I should be unkay dory. And I won't be driving it until April, at least, so I've got amble time.

I've been lurking around for some cheap (~$500) struts and springs, highway boats are not fun and the Monster happens to be one of them. Should probably be done before anything else.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 07:29:29 pm »
Small update time:

- Education has finally racked in a job and monies can start flowing into the car.

- Suspension has *finally* been changed. Run of the mill Part Source structs. Major difference, wow. Tiny imperfections in the road no longer cause oscillations that last just until the next bump and corners are now fun.

I'm thinking googling or god forbid read a manual to get a better idea of how to remove that brake line would have been a good idea. That retaining clip was the second most annoying thing to figure out. First thing was compressing the springs in just the right way. Luckily, nothing/no one was damaged.

Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »
Bit more of an update:
- Changed oil (the trim should take a lesson and be that black); needed the change and finally got around to it.
  - Used Valvoline conventional 10W30.
- Changed rear diff oil.
  - Used Valvoline Gear Oil (Limited slip) 80W90... Me thinks.
  - The oil was still relatively clean, no metal shavings or even any discolouration, which struck me as weird.

Issues I came across:
- with the Rear Diff, how full is it normally?
- Small cars are small and offer no space and offer very little space for taking anything off the undercarriage.

Another thing that I have begun to notice is a howling sound coming from the rear end, hence why I changed the diff oil. Happens every time I am between 40 - 80kmph, stops (or becomes unnoticeable) at QE2 speeds. Does not sound like a brake squeal.
Been looking online and it has been suggested to check the noises when going around corners to check for wheel bearing stress, which I shall pay more attention to on my way home from work.

Is there anything else that could be the cause of this problem, asides from a diff that is slowly dying?
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 05:45:10 am »
So I got these from Way-do:

Which should go great with my nice beige interior. But comfort doesn't care about style! As my living room floor is running out of space and I have a few days off... Install and carpet cleaning seems to be in order.

Pictures of the escapade to follow in the coming days.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:12:54 pm »
Nice bike - Opus?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »
I have a gauge cluster from my Forester I would trade you for a booze or two.
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 07:52:52 pm »
Thanks Claw, it's a Giant Defy. Light and comfortable are not enough to describe compared to the one I had before.

Teacherman, it's a 98 to 01 yeah?

So the seats are now in. While the front seats were out, the floors got a shampoo and vacuum. What a world of difference. There was a bit... Lot of dirt ground into the carpet.

Now, the seats. A road trip was in order for science, the supports at the bottom of the rib cage are fantastic. I'm not sliding around while taking the exits and feel firmly planted in the seats. And they don't look half bad in the car.

Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »
It's out of an 02, which is still based on the GC platform. Pretty good chance the harness has the wires in it already. Plug it in and try it.
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 06:01:05 am »
Another thing that I have begun to notice is a howling sound coming from the rear end, hence why I changed the diff oil. Happens every time I am between 40 - 80kmph, stops (or becomes unnoticeable) at QE2 speeds. Does not sound like a brake squeal.
Been looking online and it has been suggested to check the noises when going around corners to check for wheel bearing stress, which I shall pay more attention to on my way home from work.

Is there anything else that could be the cause of this problem, asides from a diff that is slowly dying?

When my rear diff went, it houled and grinded pretty loudly between 40 and 80. The noise did also disapear when I went faster than 100 km/hr.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »
Wheel bearings are common as well.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:43 pm »
When my rear diff went, it houled and grinded pretty loudly between 40 and 80. The noise did also disapear when I went faster than 100 km/hr.

I'm not hearing a grinding, just the howl right now. When I replaced the rear diff oil two months or so ago, the oil was dirty, but free of metal shavings.

I'll go for a spin and warm of the wheel bearings and see how my wheel bearings are. The car has as 155k, so i wouldn't be overly surprised if I needed new ones.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »
Can you even really blow up an open rear diff?

I can see wearing out a viscous LSD like on the WRX to the point where it becomes open, but I don't think you can really wear out an open diff.

You can usually test your wheel bearings by jacking it up and then spinning the wheels by hand. It should be pretty obvious when they're cooked because they'll often sound something like this:

Oh wait, no. More like this:

It should also feel "rough" when you try to rotate it by hand.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:26 pm »
That's the sound. Not the supercharger, although entertaining, but the wheel spinny one.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 07:40:57 pm »
You can ignore it for a little while longer, but eventually it will get really obvious that your wheel bearings are el tostados.

Where are you going to get it done? I wonder if GD+ WRX wheel bearings are more burly to deal with the extra weight.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Re: Red's Not So Red Brighton
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 12:52:13 am »
You can ignore it for a little while longer, but eventually it will get really obvious that your wheel bearings are el tostados.

Where are you going to get it done? I wonder if GD+ WRX wheel bearings are more burly to deal with the extra weight.

They'll be done asap. If I say next week, it'll end up being done when the rear axle is being replaced. Which is decidedly more expensive and troublesome.

Would they fit even? Actually, I'll just go back to the Partsource and get them to find that out. Or is there a cheaper place or bearings? If this was Clue, I wouldn't know the person.

As for where, that's still unknown. I do have access to my dad's garage two hours away from Calgary, but lacks proper jack stands. And that would only really work on my next week off, which happens to be a ways away. And my weekends are anything that's two days in a row. So.. If anyone has an inching to have good beer, bad food, and an ugly car take up a driveway, please let me know via PM and I'd appreciate to work something out. And hopefully replace some shotty wheel bearings.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 05:47:04 pm »
Well, I have parts. Some of them anyways. Need a grand total of 2 more then I can start the work.

It will be a parasite in my parent's garage, just taking up space while the parts doddle in. In the mean time, I've changed tail lights (jdm,yo?) I like the clear markers and the lacking of a crack.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up