Author Topic: Whats the best starter bike  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Waller

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
Whats the best starter bike
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:40:17 pm »
My girl friend really wants a motorcycle. It has to be a sport bike and under 300cc. Anything higher then that is to powerful and to heavy for her to learn on. I went and looked at a CBR125r and thought it wasn't powerful enough. Top speed of 120km's if you are lucky. If you don't have passing power on the freeway I don't think it's very safe. I went and put a deposit on an 09 Ninja 250r. I look at an 08 that wasn't for sale and thought it was a really nice starter bike. Is there anything else out there I should be looking at?

Jotun

Re: Whats the best starter bike
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:34 pm »
I've ridden the Ninja 250 and thought it was a great starter bike. The other bikes I've ridden have all been at least 500cc, I think it's one of the few 250's that is actually pretty good.

I'm not much of a biker though so take it for what it is :)

Offline mtn05

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:13 pm »
Suzuki used to make a 450 or 500 GS- F a few years back. It had the same rake and suspension as the GSX-R models, same basic look, but no sport-bike fairing, and a respectable second seat. Not sure if it's still made, but I know it was much more tame when compared to the GSX-R.

Have you given any thought to the 'Enduro' look bikes? Little bit more upright, V-twin motor for predictable power delivery and anywhere from 250cc to 600cc... jus' me 2 cents.

Good Luck.

-M.

Offline Waller

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:42 pm »
The ninja 250r has a v-twin and retails new for around $4300. Top speed of 170 km's. The G/F won't take anything but a sport bike. The only other bike I can find in that class is the Hyosung GT250R but I've never heard of the company in my life.

Offline RIP

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Outback
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 10:19:53 am »
Suzuki SV 650
Now this bike has more power, but it doesn't feel like it does
unless you try to tap into it.  It is LIGHT and has a good feel.

Good for a starter because it really lets you progress at your
own rate and it not very loud so you don't feel like you are
going fast when you aren't.

Jotun

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:57:04 pm »
^^ RE: SV650

My buddy has a mint 2006 SV650-S (fairing version) with a Yoshimura pipe that he hasn't ridden in forever, he might be interested to sell it. Let me know. :D

Offline Chavez

• Stubbly Faced
  • Going were no wrx has gone before
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:05:25 am »
Suzuki used to make a 450 or 500 GS- F a few years back. It had the same rake and suspension as the GSX-R models, same basic look, but no sport-bike fairing, and a respectable second seat. Not sure if it's still made, but I know it was much more tame when compared to the GSX-R.

Have you given any thought to the 'Enduro' look bikes? Little bit more upright, V-twin motor for predictable power delivery and anywhere from 250cc to 600cc... jus' me 2 cents.

Good Luck.

-M.

I got one of these (GS500) for my first bike, the small amount of riding I do with it was pretty easy, better than my dads buel.