Author Topic: Computer Show & Shine  (Read 74394 times)

Offline Mischief

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Flip-Flopper
  • Ride: Can't keep up
Re: Gaming Computer Buildlog
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:42 am »
I've always wanted to go to one, but my gaming lately has become increasingly diminished to just MMO's and MOBA's.

You might be interested in a LAN Tournament I am organizing here in Saskatoon then.. I want to bring back the fun to LAN Parties, such as AoE 3, BF3, CS:S, TF2,  etc. for pc, and the usual for Consoles (fighting games, car games, sports). No official information will be out until April 1st to allow me to just finalize all the details and get the games confirmed and the pamphlet made up, but it's looking like 70 or so are already wanting to go.. so I will probably make room for 100 PC's and maybe 20 or so consoles.

www.prairielan.com is my website so feel free to check it out and spread the word!  We have people coming in from manitoba, some talks of a clan from california coming up and a large local sponsorship already.

Offline harrymonster

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 265
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:59 am »

Nice setup! What cooler do you have right now? You should be able to pump that up to 4.7GHz on air cooling if you have a decent cooler.  I would definitely go closed loop CPU cooler for going around 5GHz though, once the Ivy Bridge comes out I will probably upgrade to that system as well!   The air cooler I have right now is really freaking massive (and heavy), I thought for sure it would look tiny in this giant of a case but I was wrong, it sits maybe an inch 1/2 (maybe less) away from the side of the case.. I play BF3 if you want to add me up! Name: MischiefDynasty

Thanks.  I'm running the stock Intel cooler. That's why I'm thinking of going with the Corsair H80, get her up to 5.1, friend of mine runs 5.0 with his H80 cooled 2600k.  I have no clue on how to OC through the bios and use the Asus overclock utility through windows.  Tips would be great! 

Does your fan take up a RAM slot?  Looks like a pain if you have heat spreaders.

Crappy picture because the case is closed, cable management is clean but the yellow wires are case fans that I was too lazy to tuck away

Offline Mischief

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Flip-Flopper
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 11:00:46 am »

Thanks.  I'm running the stock Intel cooler. That's why I'm thinking of going with the Corsair H80, get her up to 5.1, friend of mine runs 5.0 with his H80 cooled 2600k.  I have no clue on how to OC through the bios and use the Asus overclock utility through windows.  Tips would be great! 

Does your fan take up a RAM slot?  Looks like a pain if you have heat spreaders.

Crappy picture because the case is closed, cable management is clean but the yellow wires are case fans that I was too lazy to tuck away

It does take up a slot if I use both fans, but if i use the corsair vengeance low profile series with no heat spreader it will fit in there just fine.  I find for gaming no more than 8GB of RAM is needed anyways and I don't do much video/photo editing that requires more than that.  The ASUS utility is quite simple to OC up to around 4.8 I believe then it becomes complicated as you have to manually enter in voltage for your CPU/RAM as to not go over a specific point.  That coupled with the fact that each CPU is different in how much it can OC per volt means there is no real cookie cutter way to do it..

I personally am stupid when it comes to messing with RAM timing and voltage settings so I just set the multiplier to 45 and said good day sir. I am sure you could just set your RAM to XMP/Auto and set the multiplier at 51 and see what happens, but thats up to you.

Case looks pretty good!

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 11:03:53 am »
In the picture I posted on the front page, all visible wires that were not black i have put 1/8" split loom on to make them all look all the same. Lol. I didn't think that first that it would bother me but every time I showed it off it did.
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 11:37:07 am »
I've always wanted to go to one, but my gaming lately has become increasingly diminished to just MMO's and MOBA's.

That's sad.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:02 am »
@SLo_STi - Saskatchewan is a little far for me to lug my entire gaming rig.

@ulimatt - Why?! WoW/SWTOR/LoL/D3 - What else do I need?

@harrymonster - I have a 2600k w/ an H70, and using the "OC Tuner" option in the bios, it OC's to 4.4GHz. I haven't bothered going past that, as I don't need it, but it's fairly easy. You can find guides that essential run down what you need. Start low, work your way up till it crashes, then just slightly pull back. Typically you start turning up the multiplier. Then when it's unstable, you turn up the voltage a little. Then more multipler, etc. I've never bothered with RAM timings, so don't even ask haha.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline harrymonster

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 265
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 12:14:48 pm »
@harrymonster - I have a 2600k w/ an H70, and using the "OC Tuner" option in the bios, it OC's to 4.4GHz. I haven't bothered going past that, as I don't need it, but it's fairly easy. You can find guides that essential run down what you need. Start low, work your way up till it crashes, then just slightly pull back. Typically you start turning up the multiplier. Then when it's unstable, you turn up the voltage a little. Then more multipler, etc. I've never bothered with RAM timings, so don't even ask haha.

Interesting, I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tips.  Though I dont need to go any faster than what I'm at now, I figure it's like a car, could always be faster!  >:D

I tried playing BF3 and right now I'm terrible at PC shooter games! It's so different from consoles, definitely need time to adjust for sure.

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2012, 12:29:22 pm »
With an 2600k H70 running on a pretty standard Asus p67 series board, I have a tune for 4.7xx GHZ that's stable if you wanna try.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »
With an 2600k H70 running on a pretty standard Asus p67 series board, I have a tune for 4.7xx GHZ that's stable if you wanna try.

I have the P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3.0
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32593
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:41 pm »
Same Mobo only not revision. Didn't bother as the guy I made it for is only using the Sata3 ports.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline Mischief

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Flip-Flopper
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 05:54:43 pm »
Got kinda bored tonight so I tried over clocking from my current 4.5GHz  to 5.0Ghz, but the CPU temps were sitting around 72-77 on full load so I dropped it back down to 4.8Ghz and it is sitting at 70-72 on full load. I havent actually seen this cpu at full load yet in any games but its probably best to be safer than sorry haha.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
Re: Computer Show & Shine
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:21 pm »
No choice but to join this partay.  My mobo died.  Gonna get a new mobo, cpu and case and replace other things as needed.  I have 4gb of ddr2 and a 8800gtx that suit me until the 12000pt futuremarked cards get cheaper

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:54 pm »
FYI, the new mobos are using DDR3.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 07:54:45 am »
Ivy Bridge was just pushed back by Intel. I believe it's slated some time around June now.. Rumours are there are problems with the manufacturing business.

EDIT: http://gizmodo.com/5888514/intel-confirms-that-ivy-bridge-is-definitely-delayed

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:19 am »
FYI, the new mobos are using DDR3.

are they backwards compatable?  i need monies for other things right now so i was planning on just buying an Asus mobo with  a 2600k cpu and using my exsisting setup. 

4gb ddr2
8800ggtx
850psu

ram is cheap and i planned on going with corsair vengance 16gb, but since i am using most of my disposable income skiing and working on my house i wanted to just build a system that can be massivly upgraded when the time comes (extremely powerful video card ;) )

item of note - i will never be buying a mobo from EVGA again.  this is the second 680i SLI that has failed on me.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 10:19:46 am »
I had a 680SLi for 2 years, and recently sold it (I even bought it used).
The only problem I ever had was that one of the ram slots stopped working. Right now I'm using an ASUS mobo.

As for DDR2: I don't think it's backwards compatible. However even 8GB is only $50 right now.

Also: http://gizmodo.com/5888958/intels-greatest-new-cpu-already-overclocked-to-7-ghz

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
Ya, they aren't backwards compatible. 8 GB DDR3 can be had for $35~40 if you wait for a sale. You should be fine to reuse the PSU and vid card though.
You might want to look at a mobo with PCI- Express 3.0 as the newer video cards will be moving to that soon. That part is backwards compatible with previous PCI-E versions.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 11:35:37 am »

are they backwards compatable?  i need monies for other things right now so i was planning on just buying an Asus mobo with  a 2600k cpu and using my exsisting setup. 

4gb ddr2
8800ggtx
850psu

ram is cheap and i planned on going with corsair vengance 16gb, but since i am using most of my disposable income skiing and working on my house i wanted to just build a system that can be massivly upgraded when the time comes (extremely powerful video card ;) )

item of note - i will never be buying a mobo from EVGA again.  this is the second 680i SLI that has failed on me.

yeah for mobos I'd stick to gigabyte and asus
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Computer Show & Shine
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2012, 08:17:11 am »
I'm actually thinking about just replacing the mobo.  It'll cost 50$ and I want the 1000$ it would cost to get a new system for other things.  I don't game anymore. :-(

Maybe if a new game comes out that I really want, but for now my ps3 is keeping me happy.  I used my computer as a media server most of the time

Offline calarina

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '14 GTR
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:25 pm »
I don't have any pictures of the build, but I have a picture of the finished product:

• Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
  • Asus ROG Rampge III Extreme mobo
  • Intel i7 990X Extreme Processor
  • 24GB of RAM
  • nVidia GTX 560Ti 1.5GB video card
  • OCZ Vertex III 240GB SSD
  • 1.5TB 7200RPM HD (from the old pc)
  • 1200W Corsair Professional Gold Series power supply
  • NZXT Phantom 410 case

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:10 am »
So who wants to setup the LAN party?? (In Calgary =P)

Offline calarina

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '14 GTR
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:58 am »
So who wants to setup the LAN party?? (In Calgary =P)

I can seat at least 8 between my dining room table and breakfast bar!  :D

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16:40 am »
This is why I need a gaming laptop.. or a normal laptop that's decent at gaming. The thought of lugging my tower, and just one of my monitors makes me cry inside.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:39 am »
i will be playing this.  on my crappy desktop.  my house reno's trump my want of a new computer

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:46 am »

It's not so much a case, but a fully enclosed racking unit. In its previous life, it was one of the bays for an old Mitel SX-2000 phone system. Until I stumbled into this hotel that was switching to VoIP and the IT crew was wheeling it out of the basement. For the grand price of $0.00, this thing found it's way into the hatch (with a surprising amount of ease) and came home with me.

There must be an easy way to fill 20 rack units... Starting with a 4RU case of whatever newegg has for cheap and subsequently fill that with whichever components my wallet allows. A switch, custom built PS3 rack case, a sound system of some sort, server for my media and another for remote backups (I've lost entirely all too much data), and an assortment of other goodies that may inevitability reach my hands. Two fan units; one horizontally polarized to blow air up and one vertically polarized to suck air in.

Asides from the dust that's turned into mud, the extras that I didn't need (the innards), and the casters, it's in really good shape.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.