Author Topic: Thinking about a trip out to the Maritimes  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Thinking about a trip out to the Maritimes
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »
Hey,

So the girlfriend and I were thinking about spending a week (9 days) out in the Maritimes at the beginning of the summer. Her brother goes to school about an hour away from Halifax so we thought we'd start in Halifax but then we're open to driving around, seeing some sights and doing the B&B thing. We've also got a friend in St Johns, NL.

Neither of us have been to the Maritimes.

Thoughts on places to go, things to see would be really appreciated.

We'll probably rent a car and drive around. Then maybe fly to NL.

Thanks in Advance.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
Re: Thinking about a trip out to the Maritimes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:35:08 am »
I was out there not last summer but the summer before for two weeks. It was a great trip and I would definately do it again. A good idea would be to go to Nova Scotia, Newfieland or whatever other province you want to go to and check out their toursim websites and request their tourism books. They helped out a lot when I was out there.

I would definately drive the Cabbot Trail. The views are spectacular, the roads are so much fun to drive and there are a lot of little hikes and I'm sure there are quite a few B&Bs.  Halifax is a cool city and I wish I had had more time to explore. Lunenburgh and Mahone Bay are cute little areas too. The Bay of Fundy is a must and I thought the Rocks Prov. Park was cool too. If you have any questions just fire away Zaider and I'll try to help out the best I can.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:43 am »
I'm from St. Johns, it's a gorgeous city and lots of nice sites around the city.  Being the oldest city in north America there are no shortages of historic sites if your into that as well as outdoor stuff to to like hikes (East coast trail) and boat/kayak tours. Make sure you visit "the rooms" it's the new museum/cultural center that goes through the whole history of the island.  If your interested in doing some sailing while you're there my dad has a c&c 38 and is always up for taking people out for the day.

Cardinal

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:38:44 am »
I played a season for the Moncton Wildcats, Loved my time there, very friendly people, I'd have to say St. John's was also my favorite! Lots of historic things to see there!

Offline Murray Peterson

• Patchy Faced
  • Profile pic by Ian Gulinao
  • Ride: Honda S2000
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:24 am »
It's hard to know where to start...

Stay at the Garrison House Inn in Annapolis Royal.  Eat at their really good restaurant and go for a candle light tour of Canada's oldest graveyard: http://www.tourannapolisroyal.com/graveyard.html  If you are lucky (like us), it was foggy and seriously atmospheric :)
Spend a day at the Fortress of Louisbourg.  Huge place -- amazing history.
Cabot Trail
Fisheries museum in Lunenburg
Peggy's cove (crowded as all get out with tourists, but it really is as pretty as the postcards)
Drive from Lunenburg back to Halifax via the back roads.  Takes hours, but the scenery is incredible.

Halifax:
Visit the fort in Halifax
Go on the Keith's brewery tour.  Trust me, this one is a lot of fun.
Eat, drink and enjoy the music at the Split Crow pub
Go to Maxwell's Plum and try a beer taster or three -- over 60 beers on tap
Walk through the Victorian gardens in Halifax
Walk around the docks in Halifax -- touristy but fun when it's your first time

Hint -- driving in Halifax is a pain.  Best to stay somewhere near the waterfont and walk.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:51:25 pm »
Awesome. Thanks guys! Gives me a lot of great places to start!
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:42:21 pm »
+1 Keith's brewery in Hali..
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:23:17 pm »
Don't forget to get Screeched in when in NL...
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:03:10 pm »
Well. Trip is booked (yay Airmiles!)

Heading to St Johns first, staying with a friend. Then after a few days there, head to Nova Scotia... head up and drive the Cabot trail for a few days.. be lazy about it... and then to Halifax for a few days and then to the Bay of Fundy.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:06 pm »
Well. Trip is booked (yay Airmiles!)

Heading to St Johns first, staying with a friend. Then after a few days there, head to Nova Scotia... head up and drive the Cabot trail for a few days.. be lazy about it... and then to Halifax for a few days and then to the Bay of Fundy.

Sweet. I'm moving to Halifax on June 1st. I've been eyeing this thread for suggestions of places to visit when I'm living there.

Have fun on your trip. When are you going?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »
May 31 :)

Air Miles High Season starts June 1st so we saved about 3000 airmiles by flying a day earlier.

Offline BLM

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STI
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 11:22:34 am »
Hey, being from Halifax, it seriously depends on what you want to do. You can hit up the citadel, but only tourists go there. The locals don't go. I haven't  been there in 20 years. Good for a look of the harbour though. If you want to party, definitely hit the Lower Deck. Maritime music, total mixed crowd of young and old, guaranteed to have fun and I think it's the oldest pub in NA. Also the most famous bar in Halifax.  To start out your night, hit the Shoe Shop. The most unique and coolest bar in the city. It was my home away from home and a very popular spot. Also, try the Pogue for pub/dancing. If you're into big clubs, do the Liquor Dome or the Palace. I avoid those places like the plague though. Crowd is way too young. Lots of under-agers, so check ID's! Maxwell's and the Ale House will give you 2 of the biggest selections of beers around. Another great place to start out at is The Bitter End or the Fireside. Great martini bar's, cool atmospehere's.

To eat, My brother Darrell's (best peanut butter burger you can find) and chicken wrap, Your Father's Mustauche (pub food), Five Fisherman (high end good seafood). My fav lunch spot was always The Argyle....more because of the waitresses.

Definitely check out the waterfront. Do a boat cruise. They even have licensed boat cruises at night. Good way to start out and then you can walk anywhere from there. Halifax has the biggest bar per capita of any place in NA, last I heard.

Heading up the Cabot Trail, make sure you head up on HWY 19 along the coast when you get onto Cape Breton. You see the ocean for most of it and go through lots of small towns along the way. Port Hood, home of Al MacInnis! Takes about 3.5 hours from Halifax to get to Cheticamp. Stay in Cheticamp first. Get a waterfront chalet at the Pilot Whale or something. Beautiful little Acadian town. Definitely a throw back. From there, you can take a whole day just driving around the Park. Stay in Ingonish. My fav part of the park. World famous golfing, really nice beach. I would own land in this little town if I could. Go to the Thirsty Hiker Pub for wicked celtic music....and last time I stopped in there, a female soccer teams decided to swing in for the evening. Oo la la! On the way back to Halifax, hit up Baddeck. Another beautiful town on the Bras D'or lakes!

Also, when you get to Halifax, you want to do a beach, hit up Rainbow haven. Awesome sandy beach. If you're a little more adventurous, go to Crystal Cresent. Every more beautiful, crystal blue waters, white sandy beach....and nudists :) Mostly old dudes though, so don't get too excited. If you're bored and want a cool hike, do Duncan's Cove. 1.5 hours one way along the mouth of the harbor along huge craggy rocks. Well beaten path. Watch ships come in.

CHeck out the Museum of the Atlantic. The best Titanic display. You can see parts of the ship. Not sure which town your brother lives in. If it's Truro, that's where I grew up. Pretty lazy slow town. You can see the Tidal Bore (The tide comes up and pushes the Salmon River in reverse. pretty neat) If he's in the valley in Wolfville, way better. The valley is beautiful. Hit up a vineyard or 2. Stutz is a good one just outside of Wolfville. You can also get a great experience with the tides at Scot's Bay. If you get time, hike Cape Split. One of the top 3 hikes in the Maritimes. When you walk out to the point, you stand a top a giant cliff looking over the Bay of Fundy. Watch the tides come in there. Super sick!

Anything else, PM me. I know the whole province like the back of my hand. I traveled for like 7 years for various jobs and I've seen everything.

Mike

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:46 pm »
Wow! Thanks Mike! So much information! We'll definitely check out some of those restaurants and places to stay that you recommended!

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
Wow! Thanks Mike! So much information! We'll definitely check out some of those restaurants and places to stay that you recommended!

+1.

And due to the fact that Ill be living there, I'm actually gonna hit up every single thing on your list.  ;D

Time wont be a problem!!

Offline BLM

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 10:57:19 am »
I'd love to go back. If you see a WRB 02 WRX all pimped out with rally car decals, give him a wave. He's my old room mate and the guy that convinced me to buy an STI. He's a cool cat too. If you see a John Stamos looking guy driving a SWP 09 STI, give him the finger.....and then give him a wave....and then tell him the finger is from BLM and then call him Mr. Furious. He will laugh. :)

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 11:17:59 am »
I've been to Halifax a few times; it's a really beautiful city with a lot going for it. We stayed on Robie Street which is pretty far away from the waterfront but is still within walkable distance of downtown and major attractions, so we didn't have to rent a car and drive. Their public transit is also a lot better than Calgary's, but I think they're currently in the midst of union action so it might be difficult to get that.

The naval museum is pretty cool to look at, I've gone every time. Don't forget to gawp at local real estate and find out how $350k will buy you a beautiful house in the forest with a pool, a sauna and twisty roads.

Offline BLM

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 01:42:16 pm »
Don't forget to gawp at local real estate and find out how $350k will buy you a beautiful house in the forest with a pool, a sauna and twisty roads.

lol, or buy you a 2000+ square foot home with 3 acres of ocean front property including a 2 car garage, boat launch....and probably the boat to go with it.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:37 am »
this is very convenient.  i just booked a flight to moncton in august

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:57 pm »
Booked a couple places to stay. Thanks to BLM's recommendations, we're staying in Cheticamp and Baddeck. Some B&B's with great reviews.

Trying to decide whether to stay two nights in Cheticamp and just drive through Inngonnish and not stay there or to keep trying to find a nice place to stay there. The one place with great reviews is super expensive and the rest of the places around there aren't getting great reviews.

Probably end up staying in a hotel in downtown Halifax so that its convenient to get around because most of the B&B's in Halifax are further out.

Offline DRAGON

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Forester XT, wheelie machine
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 11:42:58 pm »
I'm going to be living there for 2 years! so this is very cool great info. no pubs for me tho

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:24 am »
Well, leaving Edmonton end of may, start new job in Halifax June 11th.   :D

Offline BLM

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 06:15:45 pm »
Booked a couple places to stay. Thanks to BLM's recommendations, we're staying in Cheticamp and Baddeck. Some B&B's with great reviews.

Trying to decide whether to stay two nights in Cheticamp and just drive through Inngonnish and not stay there or to keep trying to find a nice place to stay there. The one place with great reviews is super expensive and the rest of the places around there aren't getting great reviews.

Staying downtown Halifax is key. You can walk everywhere. Commuting to the downtown blows. There's not parking and it's really confusing to get around if you're not from there.

Probably end up staying in a hotel in downtown Halifax so that its convenient to get around because most of the B&B's in Halifax are further out.

Cheticamp is beautitful. You can't go wrong with 2 nights there. My personal preference would be a night in Ingonish. I just like the beach and landscape there. If you're a golfer, the gold course there is beautiful. The drive from Cheticamp to Baddeck can be done in a day. Depending one what you're doing, it might be a little time crunched.

I would recommend going into the park one of the days you are in Cheticamp, and do some hikes/sightseeing on the west coast and then beeline the next day north and east around the top of the park and get to the other side so you can spend a day over there. There is a wicked hike just inside the park from Cheticamp called the Skyline Trail. It's about an hour or so one way. If you get a sunny day, do this. It hikes along a mountain ridge out into the ocean with the best view you will ever see in the park. You'll even see some whales way down in the ocean. Look out for moose and coyotes though!

Enjoy your trip. I gotta get back east sometime!

Yvan, DRAGON....I'm jealous :)

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:42 pm »
BLM, a few pics to make you home sick!!

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 03:16:55 pm »
And a few of the Tall Ship Festival. Sorry about crappy Iphone picture quality:

Sailing away...

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 04:39:37 pm »

Love those two photos! Is the lighthouse Peggy's Cove in NS?  Have you been to St Pierre & Miquelon? Combine a charming and picturesque maritime village with baguettes, cheese, wine and Renaults!
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~