Author Topic: SnowBreeze's 1997 STI V-Limited 02/555 - Back From The Dead  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Re: SnowBreeze's 1997 STI V-Limited 02/555 - GOT In A CRASH
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 02:08:07 pm »
Ahh, okay that makes more sense. Insurance companies can be hit and miss with those sort of topics though. Best of luck

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Altezza
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 02:21:24 pm »
Thanks guys. Ya I meant the parts I put in timingbelt, clutch..etc, they only have around 3000kms on them.

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 04:01:23 pm »
Ok so I've ran in to a problem. The appraiser that took a look at my car gave me a good price for the car but estimated the damage price to be a lot less than showcase auto. He said it would cost around 4000$ to fix. They said if they can't find the parts then they are going to pay me the 4000$ as a cash settlement for the parts and labour but they wont write off the car which is uckfaying bs in my opinion, I've never heard of this happening. What am I supposed to do with a broken car and 4grand.

I asked if I could get another appraiser to take a look at the car and she said no this is the price that's decided. I also told her I don't want them to send showcase auto a check until I figure this out but they said it's too late. This is the first time I've talked to her in the past week and a half because my calls weren't being returned. I left like 4 voicemails and 2 emails but they wouldn't call me back.

Seeing as my car was hit while park I should have the biggest say in this.theres no reason for me to take such a big loss. If the car takes  6000$ to fix or even 4 I'm gonna loose a lot of money when I try to sell it not to mention the freshly painted parts probably won't even match the rest of the 18 years old paint so honestly I'd rather it doesn't get fixed.

Can someone give me some advice on what to please. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Offline lenglish

• Stubbly Faced
  • Livin' the dream...
  • Ride: Evo 5
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 05:17:02 pm »
Sounds a lot like the BS I experienced with my accident. I obviously did not want to take the lowball payout either.

What I did was told them I didn't feel safe driving the car so I was going to need a rental. Well, as soon as the insurance company started losing money, guess what happened? They actually started returning my calls in a timely manner!

So they can't force you to take the pay out. They do need to either fix the car or write it off. What I did, was researched parts cost and estimated time of delivery and presented them with that information. Once they realized how long they were going to have provide me with a rental, plus the cost of parts from Japan, they finally decided to write the car off. This whole process took almost two months and was really annoying, but I'm glad I didn't take the 4gs they offered.

Some might say I was "working the system", but I was not going to take a loss for an accident that was not my fault, nor should you.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 05:29:55 pm »
Yeah, that's a load of BS. They either have to repair the car (and btw, you can get the car repair appraised wherever you want. By law you can have it repaired wherever you deem suitable, and the insurance company has to comply) or YOU yourself have to say "no, i'll just take a payout", oooor they will just write it off an give you a cheque for the total value of the car minus a buyback fee.

Do what lenglish said and look up part costs, and get everything on paper for them. Maybe even ask for a rental! I was offered one, but I didn't take it because I had another vehicle.

The process was veeeeerry tedious and frustrating, but they cannot push you around like that. That is a load of BS. If you need further legal advice, contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada. They have an office downtown and they will help you come to a conclusion and lead you onto the right path so you don't get screwed around.

Their number is 780-423-2212.

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 06:14:34 pm »
Ok thanks a lot guys! They offered me a rental or 25$ a day so I might take the 25$ a day if I can drive my dad's car.
As for looking for the parts price do you mean to import or to find some locally? Because some of the parts like the inner liner and a radiator support I don't think I'll even be able to find locally. Anyone know if the usdm RS radiator support is the same as the jdm one?

Also the reason the appraisers price was lower is because he couldn't find most of the parts so he estimated them which sounds stupid, that should show them how hard it will be to find the parts. Probably thought I'd take the settlement since she realized I dint really know how the process worked.

I thought that I'd be forced to take a settlement but it's good to know I don't. They can keep paying me that 25$ a day till my car is fixed or till they write it off. Thanks again guys!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 07:17:14 pm »
Ok thanks a lot guys! They offered me a rental or 25$ a day so I might take the 25$ a day if I can drive my dad's car.
As for looking for the parts price do you mean to import or to find some locally? Because some of the parts like the inner liner and a radiator support I don't think I'll even be able to find locally. Anyone know if the usdm RS radiator support is the same as the jdm one?

Also the reason the appraisers price was lower is because he couldn't find most of the parts so he estimated them which sounds stupid, that should show them how hard it will be to find the parts. Probably thought I'd take the settlement since she realized I dint really know how the process worked.

I thought that I'd be forced to take a settlement but it's good to know I don't. They can keep paying me that 25$ a day till my car is fixed or till they write it off. Thanks again guys!

Do like a half locally, have import list. I know jdm tuners gets in nose cuts all the time, so maybe give them a call and see how much i'd be for the parts this way. Your insurance company will probably tell you that they'll only pay for one gender, or whatever, so just factor in what each piece will cost.

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2015, 11:56:15 am »
The insurance ended up deciding to write off the car after "further inspection" of the damage. Now I'm just deciding if I want to buy it back. They're are asking more than I thought they would but it's still worth it for me to buy It back I think. Everything worked out pretty well so I'm happy  :). Special thanks to Markkas and lenglish for the good tips. I would've gotten stuck with a broken car and 3500$ if it wasn't for them.

Can anyone recommend a place to straighten out the rad support and part of the frame. Show case is a bit too pricey to fix it out of my own pocket. I plan on painting and installing the new fender and bumper myself so I only need to find a shop that can fix the bent rad support and "frame".

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2015, 12:02:23 pm »
It's always dicey fixing the frame. The metal is fatigued and can never be properly "fixed". It will always be a weak spot in the car, and could cause issues in another accident. You will also need to have the car inspected to be re-certified. I believe Hilux knows quite a bit about that.
You'll need to cut out and re-weld a new rad support in to do a proper repair.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

DaDuke99

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2015, 12:14:12 pm »
Dude it definitely sounds like you got the better end of the deal. I'm probably going to have to fight with insurance about giving me a replacement rather than repair.. Will have to fight about resale value I think (even if I don't plan to sell it...)
Anyways,  got a lot of good info out of this,  good that things are working out for you  ^-^

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 12:34:41 pm »
It's always dicey fixing the frame. The metal is fatigued and can never be properly "fixed". It will always be a weak spot in the car, and could cause issues in another accident. You will also need to have the car inspected to be re-certified. I believe Hilux knows quite a bit about that.
You'll need to cut out and re-weld a new rad support in to do a proper repair.
Oh really? Insurance was just gonna push it back. It's a really sleight bend you can barely see it but I guess that would affect it like you said. Ya I realize it has to be inspected, I'm not looking to bring back to show condition I'm gonna buy another car to use as my main car, I just wanna get it road legal and use it as my winter car or something.

Dude it definitely sounds like you got the better end of the deal. I'm probably going to have to fight with insurance about giving me a replacement rather than repair.. Will have to fight about resale value I think (even if I don't plan to sell it...)
Anyways,  got a lot of good info out of this,  good that things are working out for you  ^-^
Ya I got lucky, I was so close to getting screwed over. They were only gonna give me a rental for 7 days even if te car wasn't gonna get fixed so my only option was to take the settlement for like 3600$. I called and kept complaining to the manager and they finally decided to write it off. I think they thought I would've brought it to court if I got stuck with a settlement which I probably would've.

I saw what happened to your car that's really ittshay, best of luck!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2015, 12:07:56 am »
Judging by the way that the insurance company is handling the claim, and judging from the photos that i've seen, i'd almost say that it wouldn't be worth repairing/inspecting to make road legal again. Take a write-off settlement, and buy the car back. You can easily part it out and get a fair amount worth from everything. Just to give you a ball-park, when my wrx was written off, I had it up for a couple of weeks asking ~$4k (I think) for the whole thing, and I think I made just over that parting it all out. With a car like yours, i'm sure you'd be able to part it out for a good price. Plus you still have that WRX RA that you picked up in the late summer as well, right?

Oh, and if you do go with a part out, let me know as soon as you decide! I would definitely be interested in a few things!

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2015, 08:02:44 pm »
Edit:
I decided not to buy the car back

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2015, 08:26:22 pm »
Good to hear dude. At least progress is being made on it. Hopefully it'll be all fixed up and ready to go soon!

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: SnowBreeze's 1997 STI V-Limited 02/555 - Back From The Dead
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2015, 12:21:12 am »
Well i didnt buy the car from insurance which i really regret.I contacted the auction it went to and tried to find the new owner but they wouldnt disclose the information.

I'm happy to say that i've found the new owner and he fixed the car :), he ended up buying some parts off me a month ago and while chatting with him i realized he had bought my car. I offered to buy it off him but he really likes it.

Here she is all fixed up :)