Author Topic: Looking for advice and opinions  (Read 1788 times)

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
Looking for advice and opinions
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a bike this spring and just looking for some help in the form of advice and opinions.

I've been doing some research on what type of bike I want and I'm looking towards a full suspension trail or all-mountain bike. I know how much I'm willing to spend but what I need help on is what type/brand of components are considered good quality, what should I stay away from and what are some of the pluses and negatives of different brands and bike companies.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Looking for advice and opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:12:03 am »
I think to start if you gave uis a budget range we could assist a bit more. There are varying levels of components within each brand. With an approximate budget we could recommend some full builds. If you are looking new, for a trail/all mountain fully, you are looking at $2K min and likely more. You can find very good deals on prior year models at bike shops (can get to 30-40% discount). Let us know and I am sure we can make some suggestions.

Also the best thing to do when bike buying is head to a local shop and test ride a few different bikes to see what fit feels right for you. Different brands fit differently. Most of all, have fun! It is exciting to get a new bike.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »
My budget is about $2500 and I'm looking at a 2010 Giant Reign X1. I've done a lot of reading at it seems to have the better componants for that price compared to some Norcos and Rocky Mountains.

I Live up in Fort Mac so I don't really have access to a wide selection of bikes and bike shops, but luckily I'm heading down to Edmonton this week So I'll be checking out bikes and fitment after work. Are there any shops that I should stay away from when it comes to customer treatment?

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:58:40 am »
I am not sure about shops to stay away from but I tend to go to Pedalheads on Calgary Trail and have had great service every time i have gone in there. The Reign X1 will be very good if the majority of the riding you do is downhill. It is the beefier and longer travel version of the reign, also a bit heavier than a normal reign. I just got a trance X1 (5" rear travel) as I do a very mixed bag of up and down. It iwll still be good up and good on the downs as well.

The spec you can get on the Giants is very good for the price when comparing to other models int he same price range. Hopefully you have found something or the search is going well. I know this response is pretty late from your last post.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:10:25 am »
I ended up gonig with a 2012 Giant Reign X2 from Western. They had the nicer of the staff compared to the other shops I visited and the Manager was nice to deal with too. I can't wait for pedal season to start  >:D

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:38 am »
Very nice! That will be a fun ride this summer!
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)