Author Topic: Chemteks 08 WRX  (Read 18325 times)

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1996 Ver2 STi
Chemteks 08 WRX
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:29:51 pm »
Bought this lovely lady late February this year with 53698km on car and 0km on engine.  Its my first Subaru and I was already addicted before I picked her up.

The obvious first thing I did for her was to purchase a set of Hakka R's with steel rims.

Tonight I ordered the Sport Grill, Spt carbon fiber trunk trim, and a WRX grill badge from SubaruGenuineParts. 

So it begins....

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
Re: Chemteks 08 WRX
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:34:25 pm »
Thanks A.J. for for the WSC license plate frame.

Offline booSTIn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:54:59 pm »
Looking good buddy!

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:18:32 pm »
So today my parts came from Subaru Genuine Parts and I must say between the brokerage fee and duty, $98.27 seems high on a $341.95 plus shipping order.
But I love the way the parts do look as I couldn't wait to install them.  :D

The parts when i opened box

I didn't follow the directions and left the bumper on while changing out the front grill.  Didn't see the need to drop it.

And then pics of the finished products.

I think my next project will be a small one too.  Rally armor mud flaps for her!

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »
Did they ship with UPS?

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:07:09 pm »
Sure did.  I picked United Parcel Services in a hurry thinking it was USPS.  I figures if it was UPS it would be written UPS.  That`s my mistake I`ll only make once. :(

Offline richie_rich

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 Airboy Stage 2 SWP WRX
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »
Looks good!

Offline Justin brace

• Stubbly Faced
Chemteks 08 WRX
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:12:57 am »
Nice grill man car looks good

Sent from my iSheep using Tapatlak

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:28:36 pm »
Ordered my urethane Rally Armour mud flaps today from Fast Toys, Winnipeg Manitoba! :)
Black with red lettering!

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 05:07:13 pm »
My newest addition.  Rally Armor!! :)

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:08:07 pm »
WTF.... So I'm parked over night at The Sheraton (the old Capri) in Red Deer and come out to this lovely scratch

A closer pic shows the real damage.

The lighting and reflection makes it look a lot worse then it actually is, but it does look like hell.
You would think parking right in front, in an actual parking spot so the front desk could see, would keep my car safe!

Wonder if a buff/polish job will fix this >:(

So not impressed right now.

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 11:02:25 am »
FINALLY my exhaust came in.

Next to order will be a Cobbs Tuner.

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:04:11 pm »
So I ordered the AP tuner from Perrin Performance.  They will also email me their stage 2 map which I guess is more aggressive then Cobbs.  I do plan on a protune in the future, but I'm going to do things in stages.  Also bought a used Cobbs downpipe today  :)  Thanks Claw.  Probably won't install it for a while though as I want to try stage 1 first.

Not sure where what I want next!! Short shifter and bushing?

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »
Well I am very impressed with Cobbs stage 1 map.  It fixed exactly what I expected it to.  Car now pulls nice throughout the  rev range.  I figure I'll run Cobbs stage 1 map for a week or so then run the Perrin Stage 1 map and compare my thoughts and feeling on them.  Still gonna wait on installing the downpipe for a while.

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 09:40:01 pm »
So, I have done a few small things these past few days.  Nothing to major.

Cleaned up the used Cobb downpipe I bought off Claw.

Took a few line up pics  of some budz from works cars.

And put on a used set of Nitto Invio 225 45 17R that I bought from a bud that had them
on a Cavalier.  Got them with about only 1000km on them.

Loving the way my car is progressing.  I ordered a Grimmspeed turbo heat shield, gaskets,
and Hawk Hps brake pads from Touge Tuning.  I plan on going to JB's to buy some DEI
exhaust wrap and spray and should hopefully going stage 2 by early July.

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 09:40:20 pm »
Finally got around to DEI wrap & paint my downpipe.  Cant wait to install it but I have been trying out different Cobbs and Perrin stage 1 maps.  I just wanted to make sure my car is running healthy before diving in the deep end.  Once installed I will look forward to an appointment in Calgary (Airboy).  I was also maybe thinking of a VF52 swap beforehand but that not %100 yet.  Kind of not digging the lack of top end power with the TD04 but I don't wanna go to crazy with the mods.  Anyways heres a few more pics....

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 01:30:09 am »
Check for oil residue along the seams of the TMIC.  If you see oil/dirt, then the TMIC is leaking.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
I finally got around to installing my Cobb downpipe and went stage2.

I used a new donut gasket between the 2 different types of flanges and it seems to work rather well.  I also jacked up the downpipe to get a square fit before tightening.

I first flashed the Cobbs stage2 map and immediately felt the torque difference.  I drove most of the day with this map collecting a few logs with the AP.  The boost holds rather well in second and third but seems to overboost in forth (18.8 was the highest I seen).

Tonight I flashed my Perrin stage2 map and the boost comes on sooner then the Cobb map but doesn't hold as well.  A positive is I never seen anything higher then 17.2 max boost in forth.  I think I might pull a specific log for Chris at Perrin and see how well he can adjust my map.

The install took a little longer then I would like as I did it myself (brother never made it over til I was done) but loving this new mod so far and the saving begins for Airboy.  :D

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 06:19:54 pm »
Had a trip booked for Mexico on August 8 with my daughter, but Hurricane Ernesto changed them plans.  So settled on a 4 day Banff adventure.  Today we went to Rafters 6 Ranch where we spent the morning on an 18 obstacle rope coarse 10 meters up in the trees, finishing with a sweet zip line run.  This afternoon we took a 2 hour horse ride.  So proud of my little 8 year old dare devil. 

Lovely roads here to drive.  Here's a pic I snapped of my car!

Yes, lots of bugs on her!

Offline TQuon

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »
What do you mean and how did you get it with 0 kms on the engine? It's scary how similar our cars are, even with the mods

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 07:12:41 pm »
What do you mean and how did you get it with 0 kms on the engine? It's scary how similar our cars are, even with the mods

Not sure what your asking with the first part, but I bought this car bone stock from Millwoods Honda used in February this year.  While Millwoods Honda owned the car, it was taken to Rally Subaru where a new long block was put in because of warranty issues.  I'm pretty sure the Pcv valve had something to do with it but there was noise coming from number 3 cylinder. (kinda going on memory here, I never seen the car before it was fixed, kinda stumbled on it while the process was happening.)  I never looked to far into the warranty work considering a whole long block was installed, I considered myself lucky.  Of coarse I'm not stock anymore so my new 1 year warranty on the new engine is out the window, but I'm happy all the same.  If I had to do it again, I'd look for a newer STI.  Will probably changeover in 3 years or so.

Offline TQuon

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 12:52:52 am »
Not sure what your asking with the first part, but I bought this car bone stock from Millwoods Honda used in February this year.  While Millwoods Honda owned the car, it was taken to Rally Subaru where a new long block was put in because of warranty issues.  I'm pretty sure the Pcv valve had something to do with it but there was noise coming from number 3 cylinder. (kinda going on memory here, I never seen the car before it was fixed, kinda stumbled on it while the process was happening.)  I never looked to far into the warranty work considering a whole long block was installed, I considered myself lucky.  Of coarse I'm not stock anymore so my new 1 year warranty on the new engine is out the window, but I'm happy all the same.  If I had to do it again, I'd look for a newer STI.  Will probably changeover in 3 years or so.

Yea you answered my question. I was curious how you got the car with a fresh engine.

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 05:32:07 pm »
New wheels, tires, Cobb short shifter, and front & rear shifter bushings.  Digging the way the shifter feels!  Also flashed to Torqued Performance Stage2 map to hold me over.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 07:15:48 am »
New wheels, tires, Cobb short shifter, and front & rear shifter bushings.  Digging the way the shifter feels!  Also flashed to Torqued Performance Stage2 map to hold me over.

Shifter bushings was one of the first mods I did on my car. Enjoyed the crispnes of shifting after that. But still on the fence wether I want the Short shifter.

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 08:37:21 am »
Shifter bushings was one of the first mods I did on my car. Enjoyed the crispnes of shifting after that. But still on the fence wether I want the Short shifter.

So far I like the feel of the short shifter, but for 135 bucks, I better like it. Haha. Pretty sure I'm at my budget for this year as a bought a pnp  vf52.  The Torqued Performance map feels amazing and I will probably use his vf52 map until I get protune next spring.

Thanks for looking!