Author Topic: WSC Scotch, Whisky, and Whiskey Aficionado's (But no Bourbon)  (Read 19740 times)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
Re: WSC Scotch, Whisky, and Whiskey Aficionado's (But no Bourbon)
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2018, 12:51:48 am »
When I've been drinking (and it hasn't been very often), it's been wine, so I completely forgot this thread existed.

Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year... It's very different from all my other stuff. I like it.

That was my go-to staple.  Unfortunately, I finished my most recent bottle of it last year (or was it 2 years ago?) and haven't replenished it with like yet.  However... I did get a Lagavulin cask strength about 4 or so years ago.  Yet to be cracked.  Maybe soon?

Has anyone tried the Crown Royal Northern Harvest? Whisky Bible voted it the best whisky of the year. I wasn't overly impressed.

I got one of these for a Christmas present about a year and a half ago.  It's the most drinkable rye (straight or on the rocks) that I have ever had.  Not something I would see myself running out to buy when it runs out, but at least it's not like someone is feeding me turpentine, like other straight ryes.  Which makes me agree with this part of this post:

For a $40 bottle of whisky, it's pretty decent.

Now, about Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban...
Polished off a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I HIGHLY recommend it. It is reasonably priced (I guess this is subjective but whatever, I think its a bargain for the quality). It's got great complexity, hint of toffee and some sort of spices but yet very easy drinking. I've never gone through a bottle this fast. I LOVED it. Will be kept in my permanent rotation from now on
I got a bottle of this from a Professor as a token of gratitude for the hard work we did in reporting on his research grant.  In turn, I made it my "year-end is now complete" celebratory dram.  Unfortunately, with the passing of my late father-in-law, I put that on hold for many years.  I think I might break into it again this year, the last year that I'm going to be overseeing my current team's year-end reporting.  I might even bring it into the office for everyone to share...

...oooh, somehow I sense liability falling onto me if someone decides to drive afterwards.  Hmm.  Let me mull about that for a bit more.

New additions:
Since the Auchentochshan 3+ years ago, I've killed off the aforementioned Lagavulin 16, a bottle of Jameson, Macallan cask strength, Dalwhinnie 15, and only added a Bowmore 15 "Darkest", and a Aberfeldy 12.  I think the Lagavulin cask strength was added before the Auchentochshan.  Lots of uncracked bottles sitting there now as I work my way through the opened (and not-yet-dried cork stopper) bottles, privately hoping uncracked bottles won't dry out the corks.

I had the (good? mis?)fortune of trying a Japanese whisky in March.  Supposedly was a high-end one, something a good buddy of mine had in his collection, received from another friend of his.  Had the refinement of a young-ish whisky.  They've got a long way to go to try to reach the same level of standard as single malts, for better or for worse.

That's all for now.  Until then, may your drams be neat, and your palates be full.   :haplo90:
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2018, 02:11:32 pm »
My bro in law is part of Dram Initiative/All Things Whisky group in town and they held a friends and family festival on Friday.  Anyone else part of the club?

I am new to this stuff and just wanted to try some new stuff and to hang out with my bro in laws. 

It was nuts about 97 different Whiskeys of all kinds, of which my light weight Asian self only sampled a small fraction of them. 

My favorite was the Glenmorangie Signet, and I brought home a bottle of Arran Amarone Cask Finish.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2018, 04:01:57 pm »
My favorite was the Glenmorangie Signet, and I brought home a bottle of Arran Amarone Cask Finish.

Ohhh. Yes. The Glenmorangie Signet is very nice. I have one of those. I find the Glenfiddich 18 is like a mini Signet, at a fraction of the price. Chocolaty, smooth, delicious. I also highly recommend Glenmorangie Bacalta.

Yes, the Arran's are very nice. I finished my Amarone bottle just the other day. Now picked up their Arran Madeira finish which is also very good.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2018, 11:59:29 pm »
Had some Signet today at the World of Whiskey festival, it was great.

I have a few others marked off, including Dalmore King James III I think?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2018, 08:55:52 am »
Three of my work buddies and I went in on a United Way auction item. Private scotch tasting with one of our VP's. Gotta keep it together for a little bit at least...
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2018, 03:57:11 pm »
Had some Signet today at the World of Whiskey festival, it was great.

I have a few others marked off, including Dalmore King James III I think?

King Alexander III

That was very good. Your reaction to the price was better.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2018, 05:44:39 pm »
*sip*
"$365"
*almost spit*
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2018, 08:21:18 pm »
*sip*
"$365"
*almost spit*

Yeah, that's not two fingers drinking while playing WOW pricing.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2018, 06:48:15 am »
Between the Liquor Depot 25% sale, and the WoW 20% sale, fantastic awful things happened. Of note, Liquor Depot is doing another 25% off everything in store tomorrow.

Offline ButterBear

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: TP Stage 2 2008 Impreza WRX Sedan
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2019, 10:34:40 pm »
20% off scotch from January 19-27th at Liquor Depot

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2019, 03:09:23 pm »
Bump! Anyone else attend the World of Whisky festival this last weekend?

Did the VIP New World Seminar, and it didn't feel as worth it as previous years, but it was still good. Have added 2 to my list to grab bottles of, Forty Creek Victory, and Orphan Barrel Entrapment. Also found out that Alberta has it's own distillery, with it's own Single Malt Whisky.

https://eauclairedistillery.ca/spirits/single-malt-whisky/

It's a little young, but as they get longer aged spirits, I'm excited to see what they produce.

Offline greenturbo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 WRX
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2019, 08:27:37 am »

... and Orphan Barrel Entrapment. ...

I didn't go, but i have been eyeing that bottle for some time.. i have been told its basically crown royal from before they got bought out... 
sounded interesting.. but still on the pricey side

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2019, 09:27:56 am »

I didn't go, but i have been eyeing that bottle for some time.. i have been told its basically crown royal from before they got bought out... 
sounded interesting.. but still on the pricey side

Being a 25yr whisky, I expected the price tag to be much higher than $200.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2019, 02:24:52 pm »
Sad cause I was on vacation and missed our United Way Auction. One of the VP's does a Scotch Tasting Event at Kensington Wine Market. Went last year and it was pretty great. Lots of interesting bottles and its run by the guy who owns KWM. Gonna have to get in on it next year.

Now that its winter, I can move away from the tequila and back into the scotch.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2019, 02:30:36 pm »
Now that its winter, I can move away from the tequila and back into the scotch.

Hey, a tequila old fashioned is a great winter drink; just like scotch and soda is a nice summer refresher.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography