Author Topic: 2008+ WRX/STI >FOG LIGHT OUTPUT MOD< *MORE IMAGES ADDED*  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Moscato

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2016 WRX Silver
2008+ WRX/STI >FOG LIGHT OUTPUT MOD< *MORE IMAGES ADDED*
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »
This mod consist of removing the glare shield from within the fog light assembly.

**THIS MOD IS INTENDED TO INCREASE POWER OUTPUT FOR OFFROAD/BAD WEATHER CONDITIONS ONLY**
**YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR FOGS PERFORMING THIS MOD, PERFORM AT OWN RISK!**

If you are of the breed which likes to run the fog lights all the time then please do not attempt!!!

With that said, this mod will give you roughly double your current light output even from the OEM bulb. The JDM versions of these fog lights already come this way from factory but our market gets the shield because they assume drivers will run the fogs all the time.

The increase in glare is nominal and in MY PERSONAL opinion well within acceptable limits. The beam pattern stays the same on the light it simply outputs more light with the shield removed.

The fogs are very tough to open and you risk breaking the lens when doing this mod so please use caution.

I removed ALL plastic components from the fog light and then baked it for 15min at 265f.
The epoxy used is different from headlights, this stuff will not soften much and will break apart similar to an eraser when prying ( slow and steady )
Once open, let it coll a bit so you can handle it easier and then simply remove the 1 screw holding the cap in place.
Then re-bake the unit and replace the lens, after you will need to seal the lens unit via hi-temp sealant to not chance any moisture.

Then simply re-install the fog lights and re-align to hit the ground about 20 feet past the car ( this will ensure it does not bother other drivers when used in foul weather conditions )

PICS!

Results:
Just fogs

Fogs with stock HID low beams

Overall I'm very happy with this mod, I contemplated getting the JDM fogs so i wouldn't have to open them... But that was bloody expensive sooo hands ON = free!

Hope this helps,
"Character is much easier kept than recovered."

Offline BlackLightning

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Re: 2008+ WRX/STI >FOG LIGHT OUTPUT MOD<
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:43:02 am »
At first I was   ::)
Then after the output picture I was like  :)
But I would HAVE loved to see a before picture to see if you still retained the stock cutoff.
I will say those OEM fogs look great and seem to have a real fog light pattern.

but I'm still undecided until I see before and after.  :-\

The big thing about fog lights is great light to the ground and no light above the cut off.
Post a review when you encounter fog and/or heavy snow.

Offline Moscato

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:33:33 pm »
Unfortunately i only got 1 before picture just to use for ref. as to what would happen to the beam pattern.

Before mod:

My iphone's camera is not great so i had to move a bit further back for the after picture... The exposure was too hot after the mod so i had to stitch it together from further away.. Its a crappy stitch i know..

After mod (this is 1 fog lamp):

And a shot of the wall with the HID's on too:

How it looks outside of the beam:

How it looks inside of the beam:

Ill try and post some pics of use in rain or fog if we ever get some decent amount this summer, if not ill wait till next winter storm

Offline Moscato

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:40:38 pm »
From my results, I can say is the beam pattern seems to clean up a bit after the mod and becomes more flat/straight.
Also the power output is greatly improved, Now my $40k car has usable fog lights! HORAAAaaaaH!   ;D

I may try some yellow bulbs now and see how this combo works.

Offline BlackLightning

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Re: 2008+ WRX/STI >FOG LIGHT OUTPUT MOD< *MORE IMAGES ADDED*
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:05:48 am »
 :o Wow, I do have to say this is the first time I saw a shield removal improve beam pattern.
Now, I can't ever smack talk people that are "upgrading" lights.  :'(

Offline thought

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2011 STi Hatch, SWP Sport Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:04:32 am »
Definitely going to try this!  What a shame that the run-fogs-all-the-time idiots have ruined the original purpose of them for the rest of us.  This mod seems to be just the ticket!

Offline steven

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 sti sport tech.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:38:42 am »
I did this a while ago.  Then put HID's in them (will only fit if reflector is removed)

I only run them when needed.....and they work!

nice write up.
I possess neither effective descriptive abilities, nor a clear recollection of the past.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:53:33 am »
Good time to also put some kind of protection infront of the fogs.  Both mine are shattered from rocks from all my highway driving during the winter.

Offline steven

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:42:34 am »
Did that too.  a rock had drilled a hole straight through a fog light glass without cracking it.  I cleaned it out and put a yellow 3M tint film on it.

Looks nice, protects the glass, and a whole lot cheaper than buying colored bulbs.
I possess neither effective descriptive abilities, nor a clear recollection of the past.

Offline jonathan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:25:46 pm »
Good time to also put some kind of protection infront of the fogs.  Both mine are shattered from rocks from all my highway driving during the winter.

http://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1239
"I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?" - Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Moscato

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 11:14:54 am »
Some folk where wondering about this mod so...

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 01:03:39 pm »
How did you turn the fog lights on with the headlights off?

Offline Moscato

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
i didnt, i simply cheated and covered my headlights with towels for the test haha  :P

Offline thetallone

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Bazinga!
    • Edmonton Subaru Club
  • Ride: SWP 2009 WRX 265 Sedan
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 10:16:10 pm »
So I gave this a go the other day. Passenger fog light lens popped off with a little prying, no problem. Drivers side cracked into several pieces.

Fast forward to tonight. Got another fog light from the dealership and tried again. Lens was clearly moving a fair bit, but once again I cracked the glass. Seems more like the prying action is popping off an edge chunk of the fog light more than it is cracking the whole lens. Would heating it up more me better or worse?  To get a second replacement lens I will be $200+ into this, but can't exactly go back to stock as the one fog light is sealed without the shield.   :(

I am using a dull knife to do the prying initially and a flat head screwdriver once there is enough space. Should it be more of a pry motion or a twist motion.

Just looking on some advice or if someone has a better idea.

Once again custom modification has bit me in the assay and wallet!

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 09:03:50 am »
I don't have fog lights, are the lenses that are cracking actual glass?
If so, perhaps try to do the prying with a wooden or plastic object rather than a metal screwdriver or knife. It may help prevent chipping or other damage to the edge of the lens where a crack can start.

Offline steven

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 11:48:48 am »
a little more heat would help, and a pry tool without sharp corners.  i got a chip with mine, then found somthing other than a flat screwdriver to pry with.  i used the chipped lense.

Offline thetallone

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Bazinga!
    • Edmonton Subaru Club
  • Ride: SWP 2009 WRX 265 Sedan
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 10:47:23 pm »
Managed to find some cheap fog lights that had the same size of lens. Slightly more convex but hard to tell when they on opposite sides of the car. They are complete drop in and should seal up fine with a little exta sealant.

Might post a DIY so that people don't need to spend the $140 at the dealership when they crack a lens.