Author Topic: Stickytires' 1997 Ver. 3 WRX STi - First Update in a LONG time...  (Read 15411 times)

Offline EZ-e

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1997 Impreza WRX STI version 3
Re: Stickytires' 1997 Ver. 3 WRX STi - Power FC + Winter Mode
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2012, 09:39:52 pm »
oh my bad!! case of mistaken identity. anyways sticky, i stand by my previous comment. car looks sweet :)

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
  • Ride: 1997 WRX STi (Ver. 3), 1998 Forester s/tb
Re: Re: Stickytires' 1997 Ver. 3 WRX STi - Power FC + Winter Mode
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 12:28:09 am »
oh my bad!! case of mistaken identity. anyways sticky, i stand by my previous comment. car looks sweet :)

Haha thanks again!

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 03:16:24 pm »
Love your car buddy. PM me when you are ready to sell. :)

Seriously though!

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 03:22:45 pm »
Love your car buddy. PM me when you are ready to sell. :)

Seriously though!

Haha as tempting as it is to sell this with Kevin's STI for sale, I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon but you're first in line! Thanks for the complement!!

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 03:24:29 pm »
Haha as tempting as it is to sell this with Kevin's STI for sale, I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon but you're first in line! Thanks for the complement!!

Sweet. Please let me know. :)

Offline stuff

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: sf5, NA6, NA8 miatas
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2013, 02:10:13 pm »
Did you ever try OEM rotors instead of the DBA, I have oem ones and for the life of me cant see why there would be clearance issues with the rotor, Opposed forces even gives the exact same part number... do you maybe think this is a issue with the DBA rotors not haveing the clearance? looking at the ones I bought (cheapest partsource ones for 05wrx), and cant see where the issue is going to be, but reading the problems that you had makes me so paranoid of snapping the tone ring and leading to a bunch of extra unnecessary spending....

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
Looking it up on Opposed forces, I find that you may be mistaken on the part numbers for the brake discs.

From what I found

01-07 WRX part numbers for the brake discs are:
26310AC040
26310AC041
26300AE060
26300AE061

and for our cars:
26310AA081
26310AA092
26310AA121

The bit to me that seems weird as I'm looking at it now is that the part numbers for our cars say that they are compatible with years 93-98.... and the cars of previous years with ABS use the same tone  rings which now makes sense. I thought that they changed with the version 3 because no one else had these issues with putting the 4 pots on their gc and using the 05-07 wrx rotors but i suppose that was because their cars didnt have ABS at all. If you got 05 wrx rotors, I would take special care when installing them and check if they touch the tone rings because they will definitely snap right off the second you torque your wheels on.

maybe its not so hard to find rotors for these things after all? but either way, be careful with the install. and if my info is wrong here, please point it out! haha

Offline stuff

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2013, 09:51:28 pm »
ugh, ive been so stressed over this haha honestly the "certified" brand for 05wrx I picked up looks completely like the stock rotors... just so scared of putting them on and breaking the rings...... I really think these should fit, but im getting them properly measured and milled down to stock spec if needed on monday

the ones listed for that car as soon as you put them over to subaru sales system (the one on subaru genuine parts) change to 26300AE071 as a new part number, however those are a smaller diameter :(

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »
you SHOULD be ok if it has that little tapered edge on the inside. my dba 4000's that were supposed to work looked identical other than that tapered edge and thats what cause the clearance issue. but maybe get it all measured up at least just to be safe??

Offline stuff

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:57 pm »
definitely am going to triple check, also found this

"if you look at the "DBA No." column the front rotor that is required for old school RS with WRX brakes has part number of #4000.

Since it is really such a rarity that you would need these rotors, pretty much nobody stocks them. But most DBA dealers can order them for you. However, this is where it gets very very very confusing. The part number is #4000, but most online store reps who don't don't pay attention to details will assume that you are talking about 4000 series. So you will have to be sure that they understand you are ordering DBA part number #4000 rotors." -stolen from a nasioc for sale post

There is a DBA rotor that is a direct fit I guess.... sorry to clutter your thread, just think it might help out other people in the future.

Offline carguyjon

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 04 WRX Wagon; M3
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »
WHERE IS [ IMG SNOW BANK ] ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2013, 01:05:18 pm »
Hahaha I would have taken but my door had a few feet of snow stuck in front of it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:46 pm »
Any lasting damage? Or just a dent in your pride?

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2013, 02:03:29 pm »
Little bit of paint peeled off my already peeling sideskirt but other than that the worst it did was wipe off some dirt and pack my wheels with snow

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2013, 02:07:18 pm »
Excellent.
Good on you for having a go.

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2013, 03:19:51 pm »
It was a blast! Haha probably get out to ice races when they start up

Offline stuff

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2013, 11:15:23 pm »
sorry to clutter your thread with this, but I know its always nice to have answers when searching.

05wrx rotors do fit perfectly fine, DBA does make rotors that fit, but are a different part number then the ones everyone else uses and are specific to ver3-6

Generic rotors do fit, I used the cheap certified brand from partsource ($34 a rotor) and said I had a 05wrx with a 294mm rotor and they fit with lots of spare room between the ring and rotor. if you do get a different brand just make sure that it has the same machined groove and does not have a lip and bend like the DBA rotors do.

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2013, 06:53:49 am »
This is good to know, wish I figured that out xD I just went off what they said to me at dales :/

Offline goodveet

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: GC8 WRX STi
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2013, 12:57:32 am »
How do you find shifting with extra S compared to whatever you had before?

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:23 am »
How do you find shifting with extra S compared to whatever you had before?

I noticed the difference instantly, I love it, very smooth. Im thinking that this is the same as other liquids but I do notice that it is quite thick in the cold haha however I never used my oem stuff in the cold so I dont know if thats just cause of the weight of the fluid or not.

Offline goodveet

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: GC8 WRX STi
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »
Excellent, Ill be ordering some too!

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2013, 05:45:36 pm »
Excellent, Ill be ordering some too!

Awesome man, doubt youll regret it!

Offline My Dad

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • 9K all day
  • Ride: 12 STI Hatch/ K20 Hybrid EK Hatch
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2013, 09:49:52 pm »
Figure if I post a pic here you might update this soon  :P

IMG_8829 by Cryptic Photograph, on Flickr
I love long walks on the beach with my girlfriend, until the LSD wears off and I realize I'm just dragging a stolen mannequin around a Wendy's parking lot.

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2013, 10:31:18 pm »
Thanks man looks great! yeah i really gotta update this dusty old thing...

Offline StickyTires

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
Re: Stickytires' 1997 Ver. 3 WRX STi - First Update in a LONG time...
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »
Well... it has been some time now... I should probably do something with this thread.

Since my last update, a fair amount has been done bu I don't have picture for some of it. The pictures I do have will be posted later.

Put in some USDM headlights because one of my original ones cracked and fell apart:
img

Then one day I drove out of the underground parking at my old building and noticed that there was a small oil leak coming from the front of the engine. At first Tom, Kevin, and I thought it was the front crank seal but when we got the timing cover off we could see that that wasn't where the leak was coming from. We did some reading online and fount that it was likely the oil pump. It is apparently quite common for a little O-Ring behind the oil pump to crack and leak. We put the car on the lift. took everything off to the oil pump and removed the screws from the oil pump. The pump was held on pretty well so we lifted the car and pried against the (oil cooler?) plugs and the oil pan to pop it off. Have something ready to catch some oil if you do this yourself. Pulled it off and sure enough, the O-ring was the issue so I replaced it with a new one from napa. Scraped all of the old sealant off of the pump and block then reapplied some bronze paste then reassembled everything. Problem solved! Another common cause of leaking from behind the oil pump is the screws holding the rotary encasement together, they can come loose, just give em a little bit of a tightening with a phillips screwdriver if they are.
Pics:

img

Next I put on the 2004 BBS Rims:

img

Then put in my shiny new ST Suspension Coil overs.... This SUCKED! The new coil overs didn't come with top hats so I had to use the ones on the car. These weren't OEM so they didn't fit nice at all. We spent probably 2 hours with a pipe wrench disassembling them. Once they were disassembled, we found out that the hats didn't fit the new coils so LUCKILY, Tom had a super random piece of aluminum tube that just HAPPENED to be the exact size of the inside diameter of the top hat joint, and the EXACT size of the threads outside diameter.... it made perfect bushings for our Red Green Special. The top nut obviously still fit on the threads, it was just the bushing that came with the cusco hats that didn't fit the new coils thread to hold it tight. Worked out in the end!

img (dont think I have pics of all the fun stuff...)

Then I put her under wraps at the end of the season!

img

And now she is back on the road and I have some things planned.

Brembo Brakes all around:

img

Brakes are in with rotors and pads, I am now waiting for my rebuild kits, conversion brackets, and over-sized e-brake shoes.
I also have Honda INCA gold caliper paint coming from G2 USA but I think I have decided to go the powder coating route instead being that I am going to be tearing these apart anyway. This is apparently the closest color to the brembo gold commercially available based on my research. I am going to be looking into quotes to have these powder coated and if the price is right I will be selling the paint. It is a brush on paint so it can be used for touch ups but there is enough to coat all 4 calipers 3-4 times according to reviews.

Open to suggestions on color for the brakes! Right now I am thinking a nice Candy Red with white brembo decals just because I am going with a black and white w/ red accents theme on my car. I have already looked into Hydro Dipping them. I REALLY wanted to do this but unfortunately, those paints/inks are not rated nearly high enough for a car that sees any sort of hard braking. Talked with Liquid Customs in Red Deer and they brought the discussion to their paint suppliers... very unfortunately, not possible.

img

RB Style Seibon Carbon Fiber Wing:

Have some sanding to do but it should be on the car hopefully before May.

img

Will be adding pictures ASAP. Just can't right now.