Author Topic: Exhaust suggestions?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Bejcar

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Subaru ts
Exhaust suggestions?
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:10:45 pm »
Hey everyone, I did a quick search for the topic and I didn't come across anything so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here. Here is my situation. I just got myself a cat delete and catback exhaust for my 01 ts. It's the sohc ej22 and the muffler on this set up is slightly abused and is gonna be replaced. So what I am looking for is a muffler to weld on that with five me a nice throaty rumble. I know that to get the real rumble you need uel headers which is a work in progress. So who has suggestions on mufflers. I have been trying to find some examples on YouTube.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Any advice.
Thanks
Nick

Offline smrt_ass_engr

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 12' Audi S4, 99' 2.5RS
Re: Exhaust suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
Borla is nice deep sounding, little quieter
Stromung is one of the best choices for NA
Brullen is good if you can find one

Offline Bejcar

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »
Well I was only looking for a muffler to weld on. And something to keep in mind is I have stock equal length headers. So I'm worried about the sound coming out sounding like a itshay rice civic. What's the best I can do with the stock headers? Eventually I plan on fabbing up my own uels but I dont have a backup set for if I do screw the pooch.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:19:48 pm »
I bought a pretty cheap $50 muffler from Part source a few weeks back for an older Toyota truck with the 4 banger that was weld-on. I believe pipes where 2in osd. Not entirely sure how the Subaru is, haven't needed to change my exhaust yet. Makes the truck sound throaty and nothing like a fart can.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline Bejcar

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:06:00 pm »
my piping is aftermarket, 2.5 inches so i have to get a muffler with a 2.5 inlet. im thinking of a can tire magnaflow option.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:47:23 pm »
Loved my magnaflow on my old ej22.

I have a few videos on YouTube with and without uel headers.

Check my build thread for a video link.

Offline Bejcar

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:19:32 pm »

So I found this one like the sound, posted a comment asking which part number. If anyone somehow happens to know the number I'd love to know it. I know the chances are incredibly slim but its worth a shot.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:38:22 am »
I wonder how an old-style glasspack cherry bomb would sound (besides "loud"). They started carrying those again at Canadian Tire recently.

edit: Yup, loud.

Offline Bejcar

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 11:52:56 am »
well i ended up buying a old rally set up from a user on here "impressions" but the install has been quite a chore, i think were starting on day 4. i welded on a new magna flow muffler, 2.5in piping and we will see how it sounds when its all done. fingers are crossed that i can have it done by monday. it sucks not being able to drive your own car haha.

Offline Bejcar

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 07:27:21 pm »
so the project is complete and im very happy with the results. Its just the sound i was hoping for and its very loud haha. Im sure im gonna get a few looks here and there now haha. only issue is that im trying to find an 02 simulator for my car on the secondary sensor. if anyone knows where i can find one local or one on the internet that they have dealt with and worked well please let me know. also im gonna post my old exhaust up for sale, its only the cat back that can get re-used since the project involved a hack saw to the cat. so a stock 2in catback thats in a pretty descent shape wasnt leaking im not looking to get a profit just a little payment and out of my garage. let me know!