Author Topic: Android Dash Project - Done!  (Read 7200 times)

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 02' WRX Wagon
Android Dash Project - Done!
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »
In December I purchased a brand spanking new Galaxy Nexus phone. This was Google's new flagship model for their Android phone line and I was impressed. It came with a new and much tidier OS than any phone I'd seen and it seemed capable of anything. I wanted to hook it to my car so I could listen to tunes. We all know the old Subaru headunits lack any kind of AUX input. So I went looking for a headunit to play nice with my new phone. For a company that's trying to get their wares on the same pedestal as Apple's Iphone. I was very disappointed to see almost no options. The Iphone had dedicated headunits. Most just offered some generic USB connectivity. Which was not guaranteed to work with my Nexus. Bummer.

While shopping for headunits I also noticed something. What do these headunits have that my new phone didn't?

-GPS
-Navigation
-Music Playback
-Video Playback
-Internet Radio
-Bluetooth
-Touch Screen
-Hands Free calls

My phone has all of these features. Most of these units costed over $1,000 with all those bells and whistles. They also had lackluster user interfaces straight out of the 90's. Come to think of it. Most smartphones have better UI's all of these features and your whole music collection. Why would I need another redundant piece of hardware?

Smartphones also have..

-Internet Browser
-App Store
-Phone
-Torque App
-Voice Commands

Not to mention that Google's native Nav software is leaps and bounds better than any others. So I thought. Why can't my phone just BE my headunit? The easy answer is the phone has no amplifier. Audio only comes out over a 3.5mm stereo jack designed for headphones. Amplifiying this signal would work, but the resulting quality would suffer. So I did some research on the XDA Developers forums and found the Nexus Car dock! 3.5mm LINE OUT!! And Usb Charging. Not to mention It uses three small pogo pins to connect to the phone which means no wires!!

I bought an amp and the dock and went to work.

Glove compartment seemed like so much wasted space. I also didn't want to run wires to the hatch which I use quite frequently. The best part is that all of the things that used to be in the glove box still fit. The box works perfectly.

Had to create a new headunit. Used a generic black plastic box. The dremel and I became good pals. I love dremel tools! Used the side of the stock headunit and cut and chopped till it all fit together and looked seemless from outside.

One of the trickiest parts was how I was going to control the volume of the amp. I also wanted to be able to just plug in a friends Ipod or whatever with no issue. Had to go to an electronics hardware store and buy some potentiometers (Variable resistor). Then fab up a homemade RCA cable whose throughput was controlled by the knob. The Car Dock puts out a LINE OUT signal with no volume control. If I didn't have a volume knob it would just rage max volume on the amp. The knob is also way easier to operate while driving. The jack I made just runs in series to that.

Disassembling the Samsung Car Dock sketched me out something fierce. The original start to this project way back in march. At that point I jumped in assuming that a car dock for this phone would be out soon. I was wrong. Rumors of a cancelled car dock and 4 months on back-order, I received it. It cost me around $60 and I was timid about trying to crack it open without breaking it. Lucky for me I did not have to cut wires and re-solider them. Once I had it apart the wires simply unplugged from the board. Thank Gob!!

Getting the car dock inside the dash in a secure way was an issue. I thought about epoxy but figured it wouldn't last the cold months. I ended up using a left over piece of plastic to stick the window mount suction cup to. It's surprisingly wedged in there in such a way that it's super stable.

Final product. Sounds excellent. So many features. Looks better in person than in photos and gave me that love of modding buzz.

One of my favorite things about this project. Torque app displaying some gauges and a whole host of great information.

Cheers ;)

Offline Baumer

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2000 Suzuki GSXR 600, 2006 Honda VTX 1300
Re: Android Dash Project - Done!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »
Great work, looks good and I'm sure functions much better than most headunits.

So does one knob control the car dock line out and the other knob control the 3.5 mm jack input level?

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »
Great work, looks good and I'm sure functions much better than most headunits.

So does one knob control the car dock line out and the other knob control the 3.5 mm jack input level?

Damn! I should have thought of that.  ;) That's a great idea. The one on the left is volume for both the dock and 3.5mm Jack. The one on the right is just a dummy. Something for passengers to operate. LOL.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:34:47 pm »
Looks awesome. I like it, except that I would want it to be flush with the "black plastic box", but that would be difficult due to the curvature of the nexus.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Justy | Outback 3.0R | Crosstrek | STI
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:59:35 pm »
Awesome work!
I've been looking at that dock for my phone. Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 05:20:41 pm »
Looks awesome. I like it, except that I would want it to be flush with the "black plastic box", but that would be difficult due to the curvature of the nexus.

I thought about flush. The dock is so tight that you can barely get the phone out as is. You need to put your fingers behind the dock to pop the phone out. I also like the ability to tilt and turn the screen towards myself or the passenger also away from glare.

Awesome work!
I've been looking at that dock for my phone. Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

http://www.expansys.ca/

Offline gd8

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 04 WRX, 08 XT
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »
Might want to add some air circulation in the glove box.  I assume your amp needs it for cooling.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »
Absolutely incredible.  I'm also a WRX and GN junky.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • rides spanning 20 years of boosted goodness
  • Ride: Pretty much everything
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 01:47:44 am »
that's a stellar idea!  best part: you'll always take your phone with you when you leave, so there will be no stereo for jerks to break in and steal

i've played with the idea of permanently mounting a smallish (7") android tablet in place of the stereo, but i'm a little too OCD about audio quality and matching pre-out voltages to amps etc..  one of the coolest things about doing that would be the OBD-II gauges/data display that you can run with the torque app like you have there.

i have a stupid iSheep and it needs a wifi dongle instead of bluetooth to run the OBD-II connection,  $$

good work!

-sean
AWDsome.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:27:12 am »
Thats awesome! Nice custom work.

For those of you out there who want to try this but have drank the apple Kool-aid, there's this: http://www.mp3car.com/mp3car-blog-talk/145364-ipad-bezel-for-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-available-q1-2011-a.html
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 07:37:53 am »
Thats awesome! Nice custom work.

For those of you out there who want to try this but have drank the apple Kool-aid, there's this: http://www.mp3car.com/mp3car-blog-talk/145364-ipad-bezel-for-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-available-q1-2011-a.html

That thing is ugly as sin. I would only consider something like that if it was landscape.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline evilspoons

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2012 STi, Sport-Tech, 5-door
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:04 am »
FWIW, there are a couple Android tablets out there with really good audio hardware (expensive DACs). I think they're made by Samsung but I can't remember right now for sure.

Also, +1 for Rural Alberta Advantage.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 04:00:33 pm »
Personally I think a Tablet is very doable. Likely the same if not better than what I did. The DAC audio volume control will always be the sticking point. As far as I know there's no way to toggle ON or OFF the 3.5mm Jack from Headphones to DAC Line out. In my case the Samsung dock gets the phones audio straight from the DAC and it goes to the pogo pins not the stereo jack. If you could get a tab to put un-amplified audio out of the 3.5mm jack then that would work very well with an amp.

In my case I didn't want to buy a Tablet and get another data plan for it. You could tether it to your phone for data. also I am not sure if most tabs have GPS like phones do now. I have not done my research in that regard. Also I was sick and tired of managing my music collection on multiple devices. I just want it all on one toy and that for better or worse is my phone.

If you do have an Iphone there is an unlimited number of ways to do this. There's thousands of docks and DAC type devices you could use. While planning this out I actually considered using my last gen 3gs for this. It eventually came down to updates/internet connectivity/features and having one device for all applications.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »
For audio tuning, there's an app for that.
I just downloaded it, it's called power amp. You can adjust all of the things like a regular head unit. I'll look for a link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

Link found.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:38 am »
that THing looks amazing. unfortunately i like to upgrade phone almost yearly but that thing looks Awesome !!!

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 12:46:40 pm »
that THing looks amazing. unfortunately i like to upgrade phone almost yearly but that thing looks Awesome !!!

I do approx every two years. Nothing really stopping me from making a new dock every few years. It will not take me long next time. It could also end up as a permanent "Deck" for the car. That way I am not being wasteful with my old outdated gadgets. Soon I'll be running my coffee maker or toaster with old smartphones!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 08:16:48 am »
I took a look for that dock, as I wanted something to reference when looking for an S3 equivalent, however I couldn't find one for either the nexus or the S3. I took at look at expansys and didn't see anything there either. Can you give me a link for the product page for your dock?

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »
I also can't find the nexus dock anymore? I know there was quite a bit ordeal getting it to market in the first place?

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 07:29:03 pm »
Well mine is no where near as fancy as yours.

I took apart the dock and mounted it to the plate that I had my existing cell phone holder on. The stock suction cup mount is really big! When I stuck it on the windshield as low as I could get it it stuck out over the clock.

I ran the wires from the cradle to the circuit boards in beside the cup holder and then plugged the 3.5mm and charger in back there. I had previously wired a second 12v plug under the dash for an old gps so I utilized that plug. It turned out pretty clean, the only visible wires are the 2 little ones coming out of the cradle and going into the dash right behind the holder.

So far I'm happy with it. The sound quality is great. Hopefully the rubber loosens up a bit over use, it's a pretty tight getting it in and out...

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 08:47:43 pm »
What app are you using there?

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 09:06:27 pm »
What app are you using there?

Looks like Carhome Ultra.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
Yep, just the 30 day free trial but I think I'll buy it when that's up. Seems pretty decent, does everything I need anyways. Better than the old stock Google car home anyways.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:28 pm »
So far I'm happy with it. The sound quality is great. Hopefully the rubber loosens up a bit over use, it's a pretty tight getting it in and out...

It never seems to get loose. I may take some sandpaper or dremel to it in the summer. On a lighter note it never falls out during autocross!

Do you get phone call audio out of your phone or you car speakers?

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 08:59:20 am »
Mine hasn't gotten any looser either, but I've gotten used to it.
And no, the phone call audio doesn't come out of the car speakers. I found a thread on XDA that said this was normal behavior. I don't get many phone calls while driving so it doesn't bother me too much.
I would like to be able to raise the volume of the navigation voice though. It is much quieter than the music.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 11:32:33 am »
Agreed about the Nav volume adjustment. It would be nice if you could balance it. It seems to be decently close on my setup, but sometime Googles Nav chick seems like she's pissed and just blurts out over everyone!

The audio out really bugs me because initially it worked just as I expected. The audio was routed same as Nav and Play Music over the pogo pins to the amp. Then I updated my Android build and blam it was gone and never to come back after that. :( Total bummer considering how good it all worked together. i.e. incoming call would fade Nav and music and then fade those back in after a call. The tiny little speaker on my phone is hard to hear over the heater fans and exhaust.

Either way I am pretty dedicated to getting it working the way I initially planned. I am pleased as punch about how well it has been working otherwise, it would be perfect if I could fix that one little bug.