Author Topic: Bike shorts  (Read 1995 times)

Offline KDX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 Santa Fe Limited, 2004 Dakota quad cab 4x4
Bike shorts
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:26 am »
I ride a Specialized Crosstrail on approx 95% pavement and my ride is about 1hr 15min a day (weather permitting). Someone told me that I should look into buying a pair of bike shorts because they make a real difference. Are there any particular brands I should be looking at or stay away from? Thanks in advance.

AWDFTW

Re: Bike shorts
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:20:59 am »
Check out MEC, great selection and very knowledgeable staff.

Probably not what you're looking for (I imagine you want padded), but I love my MEC quarter knickers.

Offline KDX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:53:30 pm »
Thanks. I'll give them a shot. I guess I could also try the place where I bought the bike and see what they have to offer.

steeds

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »
well i have a martin down hill bike. and i just do mine the same like 70% paved trails. the rest is just trials and such, like down fish creek area. and i used a heavier pair of shorts for those just incase moments you bail.but i have a pair of Kona shorts that are maybe 2 years old. but i'd go to bow cycle if i were you and get a bit heavier pair of shorts. i wouldn't go light material. but just my opinion.

they have a nice couple pairs there now, i was there the other day looking.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:23:20 am »
i would strongly recommend bike shorts (padded shorts ). With so many brands out there what you end up shopping for and how the price is dictated is how nice the shammy (ie padding is), they can be gel or just thicker foam. Some shorts actually have removable liners so you can wear the shorts just on there own without the pad.

Hit your Local bike shop and try some on

Ps they are the weirdest things to wear for the first bit 

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:31:58 am »
i would strongly recommend bike shorts (padded shorts ). With so many brands out there what you end up shopping for and how the price is dictated is how nice the shammy (ie padding is), they can be gel or just thicker foam. Some shorts actually have removable liners so you can wear the shorts just on there own without the pad.

Hit your Local bike shop and try some on

Ps they are the weirdest things to wear for the first bit

Yes especially to correctly wear them you don't have anything between the shammy and your skin.  When biking now i just wear my cycling shorts under a regular pair of shorts :P.  Comfy yet without the spandex look =D

Offline bikingmike

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 FXT
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »
Yes especially to correctly wear them you don't have anything between the shammy and your skin.  When biking now i just wear my cycling shorts under a regular pair of shorts :P.  Comfy yet without the spandex look =D
yea this is essentially what the fox shorts i bought are like. that being said i would highly recommend getting some dedicated riding shorts, a lot more breathable and they wick moisture away, nothing worse than a sweaty crotch when your riding! the padded ones definitely offer even more comfort, and protection from pinching and whatnot. the best thing you can do really is just hit up and ask them what they recommend to a person with your riding style.
1991 turbo legacy- sold to Jer
2004-forester XT-new baby

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 01:44:55 pm »
chainlove.com regularly has super deals on stuff. 
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline KDX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.