Author Topic: Motorcycles- Supermoto's  (Read 3923 times)

Offline SLO GTR

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2015 Evo X FE, 1997 Supra RZ, 2015 Street Triple RX
Motorcycles- Supermoto's
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
I was surprised to find out we don't have a motorcycle section, especially on a car forum.

Last year I wanted to get onto a "sport bike", I was looking at the older inline 4 bikes (honda f4i in particular, apparently tame for being a 'supersport') and some twin 650's. But then I realized our roads are poop and a sport bike would get old quick. So now I am looking at dualpurpose/supermotos. We don't have much of a choice for nice dualsports, the main two seem to be the wr250x/wr250r and the drz400. The only difference between the wr250's is the 'x' model has a bigger front disc and street tires, while the 'r' has offroad tires and a smaller front brake. Last year we also got the ktm 350exc here in Canada, however, hardly anyone owns one, due to the price tag of them and only coming out in 2012 (although I could be wrong on the year it came out). These are pretty much the only duel purposes under 400cc we have available (more on this later).

The wr250r/x can be had for $6500 before taxes, but after rebates, the drz can be had for $7400 before taxes and before rebates, and the ktm is had for $10,500 before taxes.

The problem with the drz is it's an ancient bike. It has remained basically unchanged in the last decade, maybe even a bit longer. The wr250/250x, while handling better than the drz, is exactly as the name implies, a 250. The drz has a 5spd box, vs the 6spd of the WR, WR is fuel injected, vs the carb of the DRZ. The WR carries it's weight a lot lower, and although it maybe only weighs 20lbs less, it supposedly 'feels' a lot lighter than the drz. Back to the displacement, stock for stock the bikes are pretty even in a straight line, although the DR has more torque, they are pretty even. The drz benefits greatly from cutting a hole in the top of the airbox to allow more flow, a full exhaust, and some jetting. The wr250 can be played with a little bit, but even with a fuel programmer and a full exhaust I don't believe there is much more to be had out of them.

Then there is the ktm 350exc-f. It weighs over 50lbs+ less than the drz, and probably 40lbs less than the wr. The 350 makes a lot more power than the old 400 in the drz, and a pretty gross amount more than the 250. It really is an mx bike with a headlight and blinkers. It has so much more over both the drz and the wr, stuff the Japanese bike makers never even thought of. I am unsure about modding potential, a person would have to take a look at how their fuel injected 450's respond, yes it has FI, and yes it has the 6th gear.

Regarding the reason why I am only looking at bikes 400cc and under, is here in Saskatchewan, SGI has any bike 400cc and under for about $35/month. Anything over is $135. While ktm does have a 500exc for only $400 more, I don't want to spend the extra money per month plate wise.

Modifications:

Being that the drz has been around for ever now, there are a lot of mods you can do to them, and a pretty big following. Mods tend to be pretty cheap (especially compared to sport bikes), all new plastics can be bought for $180, while a sport bike you're probably looking at $800+. The wr hasn't been here for very long, there isn't as big of a following yet. The KTM 350exc-f aftermarket doesn't really exist (although I haven't looked very hard), and it's hard to find anyone that actually owns the 350. I'm sure that will change as more used bikes hit the market for a cheaper price.

So what does this all mean? I don't know. I'm pretty much debating over a new ktm 350exc-f or a used drz400. The drz is a bit under half the price of the ktm. But you get so much more with the ktm. A person could put 5g's into the drz and it still wouldn't touch the ktm. Although so many people love their drz's, i'm sure it could do me for a long time.

So does anyone here own a dualpurpose/supermoto? What do you own, how do you like it?

Finally some pictures:

Stock drz400sm

Stock WR250x

Stock ktm 350exc-f (the ktm would get some street tires).

The potential the drz has when modded:

Offline killerniceguy

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Motorcycles- Supermoto's
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »

I had a KTM 300EXC two stroke converted to street use.  I also have had a 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 2005 Ducati S2R800 Monster and a 2005 Ducati 999S. 

Here is what I think of supermoto - As a very short distance bike they are great.  A total hooligan bike, capable of insane acceleration up to 80kph, even a 250 four stroke will scare you to death.  The DRZ will be fast too. 

If you travel any distance at any speed over 80kph you will look at every light standard as a way to end the torture you are enduring.  They are brutal on the highway...BRUTAL!  The wind blast is awful, they get blown around like a rag doll, have pathetic fuel range, and will shake your fillings out.  There are guys that will tell you they have toured the globe on a DRZ400, good for them, not practical IMO.  A supermoto is an excellent second bike.

Of the bikes you mention, although the KTM is the best of the bunch by miles, the only one I would consider from your list is the DRZ and a used one at that.  They are bullet proof and you will be able to sell it for what you bought it for, or very close.   

Although there are many opinions on this for a beginner bike I would pick up a FZ600, Bandit 600 or even a SV650.  I have ridden them all and they are very capable.  I have not ridden a CBR250 but would also consider it as well - could be a little under powered for any highway like the supermoto.

Good luck on your search.

KNG

Online Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
I was surprised to find out we don't have a motorcycle section, especially on a car forum.

We do have a motorcycle thread:  http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=29178.0

So does anyone here own a dualpurpose/supermoto? What do you own, how do you like it?

Flex owns one, he posted in that thread above. 

Myself, I've always wanted an Aprilia SXV 5.5 but I'd probably go with the Suzuki for how affordable & mod-able it is.

Offline SLO GTR

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2015 Evo X FE, 1997 Supra RZ, 2015 Street Triple RX
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »
I had a KTM 300EXC two stroke converted to street use.  I also have had a 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 2005 Ducati S2R800 Monster and a 2005 Ducati 999S. 

Here is what I think of supermoto - As a very short distance bike they are great.  A total hooligan bike, capable of insane acceleration up to 80kph, even a 250 four stroke will scare you to death.  The DRZ will be fast too. 

If you travel any distance at any speed over 80kph you will look at every light standard as a way to end the torture you are enduring.  They are brutal on the highway...BRUTAL!  The wind blast is awful, they get blown around like a rag doll, have pathetic fuel range, and will shake your fillings out.  There are guys that will tell you they have toured the globe on a DRZ400, good for them, not practical IMO.  A supermoto is an excellent second bike.

Of the bikes you mention, although the KTM is the best of the bunch by miles, the only one I would consider from your list is the DRZ and a used one at that.  They are bullet proof and you will be able to sell it for what you bought it for, or very close.   

Although there are many opinions on this for a beginner bike I would pick up a FZ600, Bandit 600 or even a SV650.  I have ridden them all and they are very capable.  I have not ridden a CBR250 but would also consider it as well - could be a little under powered for any highway like the supermoto.

Good luck on your search.

KNG

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about it more today, and you're right... I think i'm going to buy a used drz. Spending $11,000 on a street legal dirt bike seems a bit crazy right at this moment. A person can get a low km 08+ drz400sm for 4.5-5k by the looks of it. Probably wont lose more than $500 if I go to sell it in a year either (unless I go crazy with mods).

My daily commute is 2km town, 10km highway, and then 4km city- one way.
We do have a motorcycle thread:  http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=29178.0

Flex owns one, he posted in that thread above. 

Myself, I've always wanted an Aprilia SXV 5.5 but I'd probably go with the Suzuki for how affordable & mod-able it is.

Thanks for the link.