Author Topic: Winter Tires Review  (Read 112863 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Winter Tires Review
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:33:46 am »
Im trying to pick my winter tires for this coming season. I bought cheap ones (Nexen Eurowin 600) last winter and really wasn't impressed. So, my question is: Whats everyone running? What did you run last season? Would you recommend them?

Im thinking of the following:

Dunlop Graspic DS-2
Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

I know the Nokians are out there too, but i think they're a little out of my price range.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
Re: Winter Tires Review
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:07:16 am »
I have the Blizzak LM-25 on the STI.  I didn't buy them specifically, but subydude had these mounted on the Rotas they were selling as their winter package, so I went for it.

They are perfectly fine for the type of weather we get, pretty good in snow and not too bad on ice.  My wife did have an incident last year where she ended up spinning, but that had more to do with too many steering and brake inputs in a low traction situation rather than the fault of the tires.  They are a noisier than the stock RE070's on dry pavement, but I would think all winter tires would be.  The treadwear on these things is actually very good - better than on the stockers.  This is great, since we only get a few days where the roads are covered by snow, and the rest of the time we have dry roads.  A tire with softer compound will get torn apart by our dry roads, but not these.

Dry traction is also not bad for a winter tire, but you can feel the sidewall flex, and it is just a lot less precise, but these aren't meant for that type of driving...

I have driven on a set of fresh Dunlop Wintersport 3D (or M3?) - when we picked up Theostubb's car.  Those were nice too.  If I had to replace my set, I would probably look into getting the Hankook Icebear W300.  A few people have had good experience with these, and they are reasonably priced.  I think Pee_Sack has these.

Offline Pee_Sack

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:14:07 pm »
yeah I have used Hankook Icebear w300 for 2 winters now.  I also used them for about 5 months in the spring last year when I didn't have summer tires and I was having a hard time getting what I wanted.  Without getting into studded winter tires these are by far the best bang for you buck winter tires I have ever driven on.  If I wouldn't have spent 5 months using them on dry pavement I would be able to get another winter out of them but since they are relatively cheap I am going to order another set within the next few months.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:37:08 am »
hmm... doesn't look like they offer the icebears in my size from 1010tires... nor do they offer them at tirerack...

but apparently they have dealers in Calgary... so ill check out those prices.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline mars636

• The Garage Gnome
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: White Ford Bronco
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:00:03 am »

Offline Nanners

• Patchy Faced
  • 2001 2.5RS +fullsizespare
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 11:07:08 am »
I've been running the Khumo KW19s for the last season. I started out with a set (5) of studded 15s and liked them so much I grabbed another set (5) of studdless for my stock rims in 16" since studs in Calgary don't make much sense :). They are not a performance winter tire so they are a mushy in the coners during the chinooks but I prefer not to compromise my winter traction when its needed. The KW19 is excellent if you are looking for a great price/performance dedicated winter tire.

Previously I ran the Nokian RSi's. The cost was insane but after running a couple of winter TSD rallies (including Thunderbird 2006) I discovered that having too much traction made for some really boring and uneventfull rallies :D Highly recommended if you have gobs of $$$ to throw around and are willing to sacrifice dry performance.

Other winters I have run include:

Canadian Tire IceTrax - total shite became my summers due to their lack of traction. got almost 50,000kms out of them on pavement?!?!
Michelin Arctic Aplin - great tire lots of grip lasted 3 years
Bridgestone Blizzack - excellent traction but seemed to be lacking treadware as I only got 2 winters out of them!

If I had more than 165hp and never left the city then I'd probably take a good look at the lm-25 or the dunlop wintersport.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:09:51 pm »
What about Dunlop Wintersport 3d's?
I noticed they arent on your list of options. I'm looking for a review on these too (by someone local), but if you aren't considering those, might I ask why?
I'm narrowed down to Dunlop 3D's, Blazzacks, or hankook's.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:11:27 pm »
I ran the Contiwintersport's last year and loved them.

I think it's safe to say that you won't have any problems with ANY deticated winter tire with Subaru's AWD.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 04:19:43 pm »
I think it's safe to say that you won't have any problems with ANY deticated winter tire with Subaru's AWD.

I'm betting on this too, however, I still don't want to cheap out on a $100 cheapy. And if I'm gonna spend $200+ on a tire, I wanna make sure its the right one.
I used to look forward to the snow anyways with my truck, but man, I got all giddy when I saw that post of frost in ft mac. That means its coming!

Offline pinkrobe

• Patchy Faced
  • Hung over
  • Ride: Dirty GR, Filthy Bugeye
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:20 pm »
I'm still on Hakka Q from 4 years ago.  They don't hold as well as they used to, but damn, 4 full winters is okay in my book.  I am looking at the Nokian RSI 'cause I've been so pleased with the Hakkas.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 05:33:52 pm »
my list is by no means exhaustive... im looking for something thats not going to be $200/tire... prefer around $150ish...

so far, im leaning toward the icebear.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:30:11 pm »
I'm so happy with my RSi's. :D

Offline STI_Crazy

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2013 Cayenne
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 10:29:13 am »
am looking at the Nokian RSI 'cause I've been so pleased with the Hakkas.

I've also used Nokian RSI's for 2 winters now and i'm more than happy with the performance on ice and snow.
They are a bit pricy but you could get a better price with a GP maybe.

Offline BuzSTid

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:48 am »
RSI's work for me too... I didn't realize how good they are until I looked into the lanes beside me and saw the other vehicles polishing the road.

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 10:44:39 am »
RSI's are awesome.

But I'd look at the Kumho's also, as they are cheap and very good on snow and ice.
Jeff

Offline BIGNERD

• Patchy Faced
  • Nothing!
  • Ride: WW 11 Evo Mr
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 01:21:01 pm »
I have the dunlop 3D's and they are great, i got them because of how little snow we do see here.  I had no trouble when it was -30 and super crappy out.  A friend of mine bought the ice bearers and he likes a lot, he runs them on a 330 BMW.
I just hit V-TEC YO!! That's why my plate says ITLL GO!!

Offline Waller

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 07:16:13 pm »
I also have the dunlop wintersport 3D's and like them a lot.

Offline Chavez

• Stubbly Faced
  • Going were no wrx has gone before
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 11:21:55 pm »
I got my Gislaved nordfrosts from the tire warehouse installed for like 700, they are studded and did really well last year.  All the review I read say they are an excellent tire.

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 11:20:49 am »
hmm... doesn't look like they offer the icebears in my size from 1010tires... nor do they offer them at tirerack...

but apparently they have dealers in Calgary... so ill check out those prices.

We have these at 1010tires, and they are cheaper than the TireTrends listed price.

Here is our link http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Hankook&tiremodel=Icebear+W300
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com
Canada's Largest Online Tire & Wheel Retailer

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 11:23:04 am »
Also keep in mind the Nokian RSi tire is now discontinued and has been replaced with the new Nokian Hakkapeliitta R.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com
Canada's Largest Online Tire & Wheel Retailer

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 02:50:06 pm »
RSI are awesome and the Hak R's are supposed to be even better. I'm in the middle of hook up another winter tire group buy at the Kal Tire on 170th.

MTF
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 02:53:18 pm »
Yep, I'll be getting the Hakk R's now that the Rsi's are done with.

I'll be looking to get another sweet deal through Chad from Kal-tire.  Thanks Claude!

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 03:47:26 pm »
I have the Yokohama iceguard IG20's from Kal-Tire in the NW and found them to be really good last winter. I have nothing to compare to, but with multiple ski trips to sunshine, panorama and lake Louise and driving to Vancouver and back from Calgary over Christmas were tests that they certainly passed.

Offline Tommy_tequila

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 07:49:21 am »
I have the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (3D's not available in my size) and went through an entire winter with them last year. Also took them up to Fort Smith in NWT and they performed wonderfully. They screwed up my back though. I was driving on icy roads and didn't even realize it until I stepped out of the car and slipped and fell on my assay.  ::)
When life hands you lemons, get some tequila and salt , and call me.
- Bob