Author Topic: Winter Tires Review  (Read 113013 times)

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
Re: Winter Tires Review
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 07:51:47 am »
Yep, I'll be getting the Hakk R's now that the Rsi's are done with.

I'll be looking to get another sweet deal through Chad from Kal-tire.  Thanks Claude!

Right on, the deal I will be working out will be with Jeff but either way you should be getting a good deal.
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 08:04:00 am »

I'll be looking to get another sweet deal through Chad from Kal-tire.  Thanks Claude!

Right on, the deal I will be working out will be with Jeff but either way you should be getting a good deal.

I was looking to get the GB going with Chad too.
I guess I won't since we have multiple people looking to start the same thing?

Just post back here. Funny, I asked a few times if anyone was doing a GB at Kal, and no on responded...

Captain Lou

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:25 am »
Kumho KW-19s FTW

they have good ice traction and large channels for clearing snow and crud.  its what all the Rally guys use because its teh best bang for your buck.. and they last.

i have a set studded and they're awesome.

check out my tires (mytires.ca) for pricing, he's been the cheapest for tires i've found.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 09:11:40 am »

My bad guys.  I knew I forgot the contact name for the guy at Kal-Tire.  Doh!  I dealt with Jeff last time, not Chad.  I will be dealing with Jeff once again.  Sorry for the confusion.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:27 am »
My bad guys.  I knew I forgot the contact name for the guy at Kal-Tire.  Doh!  I dealt with Jeff last time, not Chad.  I will be dealing with Jeff once again.  Sorry for the confusion.

So since you are working a deal anyways, can you include a couple more people?
I want a set of nokian Hakka R's, and darkrid3r wants in as well.
No sense 8 people calling looking for deals.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 09:22:36 am »
From what I remember, Jeff will give you a good deal just by telling him that you are a member of the WSC.  I don't think you necessarily have to have a bunch of guys in on it like a GB.  I could be wrong though, and a call to Jeff would clear things up though.

I'd like to get my winters through Jeff, but I now that 1010tires is on board here, I may go through them cuz the price they gave me for Hakk R's is awesome, even if I have to ship them here and get them mounted still.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 09:31:45 am »
I'd like to get my winters through Jeff, but I now that 1010tires is on board here, I may go through them cuz the price they gave me for Hakk R's is awesome, even if I have to ship them here and get them mounted still.

I was thinking the same thing. Though I don't know what it costs to swap and balance tires.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 10:12:24 am »
I'm not 100% sure what it cost's to swap and mount new tires are either.  Probably around $100 maybe cheaper at some places.

Just an FYI guys, 1010tires is selling Nokian R's for way cheaper than the prices shown from Kal-Tire...and 1010tires website for that matter.  PM Ryan from 1010tires and he'll give you a wicked deal.

Also, shipping 4 225/45/17 Nokians from Vancouver to my house is $50 + $9 insurance via UPS ground.  Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 03:39:37 pm »

I was thinking the same thing. Though I don't know what it costs to swap and balance tires.

It will cost a prett penny. If you buy local then they can always waive or give you a deal on the install and balancing. Ex: you walk into Kal tire and say I would like to get these mounted and balanced they will charge you full price for the work and you don't get the perks of roadside (nail repair etc..) from them either (if I'm not mistaken). Even if you end up saving 30$ from 1010 is it worth taking the chance with the roadside or even free balancing when they need it? It's up to you guys where you go, but if you need to pay for shipping+insurance, mounting, balancing, tire tax etc... I would defenitly wait till I get the official prices from Jeff.

This was the price last year and this was out the door, installed, taxes, enviro fees etc.. Like I said it's ur decision either way as long as you get ur tires in time for the winter.

225/45/17- 1140.98 (out the door)
215-45-17 - $1073 (out the door)
205-50-17 - $1,027 (out the door)
MSR wheels (silver or black) 17" $115.00 a wheel.

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 03:42:24 pm »
I'm not 100% sure what it cost's to swap and mount new tires are either.  Probably around $100 maybe cheaper at some places.

Just an FYI guys, 1010tires is selling Nokian R's for way cheaper than the prices shown from Kal-Tire...and 1010tires website for that matter.  PM Ryan from 1010tires and he'll give you a wicked deal.

Also, shipping 4 225/45/17 Nokians from Vancouver to my house is $50 + $9 insurance via UPS ground.  Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Peral Boxer,

You can kiss that shipping charge goodbye too!!

Once again our Free Shipping* Promo is about to start. Just giving you guys the heads up......Should start the week of Sept.15

Free shipping with purchase of 4 winter tires or $50 off shipping on tire/wheel packages, standard ground UPS shipping, and is valid for Canadian customers only, and shipped within Canada.

Check our webpage at www.1010tires.com for the official announcement.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com
Canada's Largest Online Tire & Wheel Retailer

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 03:45:24 pm »

It will cost a prett penny. If you buy local then they can always waive or give you a deal on the install and balancing. Ex: you walk into Kal tire and say I would like to get these mounted and balanced they will charge you full price for the work and you don't get the perks of roadside (nail repair etc..) from them either (if I'm not mistaken). Even if you end up saving 30$ from 1010 is it worth taking the chance with the roadside or even free balancing when they need it? It's up to you guys where you go, but if you need to pay for shipping+insurance, mounting, balancing, tire tax etc... I would defenitly wait till I get the official prices from Jeff.

This was the price last year and this was out the door, installed, taxes, enviro fees etc.. Like I said it's ur decision either way as long as you get ur tires in time for the winter.

225/45/17- 1140.98 (out the door)
215-45-17 - $1073 (out the door)
205-50-17 - $1,027 (out the door)
MSR wheels (silver or black) 17" $115.00 a wheel.

Cough! Cough! $30, guess again....more like $150-200 saving through 1010tires.com. BTW your best tire size choice for winter is the 205/50R17.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »
I see where you are coming from Claude.  I plan on waiting to see what the prices are through Jeff.  I'm not sure if I can post up the price of the Hakk R's through 1010tires, but let's just say were looking at a few hundred less than Kal-Tires last year prices.  So ya, if it was $30 savings, I wouldnt bother, but when were talking a few hundred, then going with 1010tires just makes sense.

Mounting tires should still only cost you around $100, but I havent confirmed this yet.

As far as the roadside and free nail repair goes.  I've never had to use this on my winter tires, and it's unlikely that I will.  So I'm not sure how this really benefits me.  I suppose if I needed it at some point then my opinion might change.

But like I said, I'll wait to see what the prices are through Jeff first, then make my decision.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 03:53:57 pm »
Cool but you could HAVE advised us of the difference without the cockyness. I'm not tryin to be a S**T disturber but just trying to look out for my buddies and bring things to their attention that they might have overlooked.

Great prices by the way. As for the Ideal tire size, I never had an issue once so ever with running 225/45/17, even driving across canada last winter to Montreal when they had record breaking snow.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »
I see where you are coming from Claude.  I plan on waiting to see what the prices are through Jeff.  I'm not sure if I can post up the price of the Hakk R's through 1010tires, but let's just say were looking at a few hundred less than Kal-Tires last year prices.  So ya, if it was $30 savings, I wouldnt bother, but when were talking a few hundred, then going with 1010tires just makes sense.

Mounting tires should still only cost you around $100, but I havent confirmed this yet.

As far as the roadside and free nail repair goes.  I've never had to use this on my winter tires, and it's unlikely that I will.  So I'm not sure how this really benefits me.  I suppose if I needed it at some point then my opinion might change.

But like I said, I'll wait to see what the prices are through Jeff first, then make my decision.

cool man!!

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 03:55:37 pm »
Peral Boxer,

Once again our Free Shipping* Promo is about to start. Just giving you guys the heads up......Should start the week of Sept.15

Free shipping with purchase of 4 winter tires or $50 off shipping on tire/wheel packages, standard ground UPS shipping, and is valid for Canadian customers only, and shipped within Canada.

Wicked!

So do you guys offer any sort of warranty or anything if I get a nail in the tire?

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 03:56:15 pm »
Cool but you could HAVE advised us of the difference without the cockyness. I'm not tryin to be a S**T disturber but just trying to look out for my buddies and bring things to their attention that they might have overlooked.

Great prices by the way. As for the Ideal tire size, I never had an issue once so ever with running 225/45/17, even driving across canada last winter to Montreal when they had record breaking snow.

We appreciate you helping out too!

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 03:58:11 pm »

We appreciate you helping out too!

:'( I miss u guys lol!! 2010 STi hmmm I say maybe lol.

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 04:00:22 pm »

Sorry didn't mean for it to come accross that way. I'm sure the 225/45R17 size works fine, but as for a winter tire, going wider and lower profile is worse for winter driving.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 04:02:13 pm »

Sorry didn't mean for it to come accross that way. I'm sure the 225/45R17 size works fine, but as for a winter tire, going wider and lower profile is worse for winter driving.

No worries bro, and yeah on a normal vehicle defenitly go skinnier and higher, but for ours I don't think it's necessary at least from what I've experience. I will most likely order from you if the price is right also lol ;)

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 04:04:13 pm »
Peral Boxer,

Wicked!

So do you guys offer any sort of warranty or anything if I get a nail in the tire?

No sorry, no Road Hazard warranty anymore, only the manufacturer defect warranty that each product carries. Road Hazard warranties are now typically sold by the individual stores and require you bring your damaged tire back to that store. Doing so online would be way to costly in shipping charges back and forth.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 04:06:43 pm »

So should I try to put on a 205/50R17 on my stock 8" wide wheel, or just stick with the stock size?

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 04:09:35 pm »
So should I try to put on a 205/50R17 on my stock 8" wide wheel, or just stick with the stock size?
[/quote]

Honestly I would just keep the stock size, You wouldn't believe the crap I went through to get to and while I was in Montreal last X-mas on the stock size RSi's.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 04:11:58 pm »
 how much for 4 of these in the hak 5's ?

235/50R18 XL STUDDED

Thanks in advance!

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 04:13:51 pm »

235/50R18 XL STUDDED

Thanks in advance!

You're a brave man going to the Hakk 5's studded!  Actually I'd love to get those too, I'm just not sure if I need them or if the noise will become annoying.

I'll stick with the stock size most likely.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 04:15:56 pm »

235/50R18 XL STUDDED

Thanks in advance!

You're a brave man going to the Hakk 5's studded!  Actually I'd love to get those too, I'm just not sure if I need them or if the noise will become annoying.

I'll stick with the stock size most likely.

LOL I think I need the studded for the G