Author Topic: Winter Tires Review  (Read 112866 times)

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
Re: Winter Tires Review
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 04:17:28 pm »
hahaha, I'd love to see what my car could do on ice/packed snow with Hakk 5's.  I bet it'd be like dry pavement!!

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 04:35:07 pm »
how much for 4 of these in the hak 5's ?

235/50R18 XL STUDDED

Thanks in advance!

What vehicle is that for?

And I have PM'd you the price.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com
Canada's Largest Online Tire & Wheel Retailer

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 04:38:41 pm »
Just for the heck of it Ryan, can you fire me off a wicked price on 225/45-17 Hakk 5's studded.

I'm debating between those and the Hakk R's and can't decide what I want or need?  Any suggestions?

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 04:40:47 pm »
Sorry didn't mean for it to come across that way. I'm sure the 225/45R17 size works fine, but as for a winter tire, going wider and lower profile is worse for winter driving.

So should I try to put on a 205/50R17 on my stock 8" wide wheel, or just stick with the stock size?

Sorry, 205/50R17 would not be for your specific vehicle if you are using the factory wheels. You do not want to mount a 205/50R17 tire on a wheel wider than 7.5". For your vehicle 225/45R17 is still the best choice, unless you change to a skinnier wheel, in which you could use the 205/50R17.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 04:49:48 pm »
Just for the heck of it Ryan, can you fire me off a wicked price on 225/45-17 Hakk 5's studded.

I'm debating between those and the Hakk R's and can't decide what I want or need?  Any suggestions?

Price sent via PM.

The Hakkapeliitta 5 will be the best winter tire for harsh winter conditions, the Hakkapeliitta R will be very good, handle better and have better rolling resistance for improved fuel economy.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 05:03:49 pm »
Sorry, 205/50R17 would not be for your specific vehicle if you are using the factory wheels. You do not want to mount a 205/50R17 tire on a wheel wider than 7.5". For your vehicle 225/45R17 is still the best choice, unless you change to a skinnier wheel, in which you could use the 205/50R17.

Thanks, I'll stick with the stock size then.

Price sent via PM.

The Hakkapeliitta 5 will be the best winter tire for harsh winter conditions, the Hakkapeliitta R will be very good, handle better and have better rolling resistance for improved fuel economy.

Thanks for the price.  I think I'll stick with the Hakk R's.  I like something that handles a bit better!

Offline Jack_Cracker

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 00 4Runner
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 07:17:41 pm »
Can i get a price on Hakk 5's too?
195/55R16

I spend way too much time on residential streets in this city...
I miss my wagon :'(

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 07:26:20 pm »
On my truck, I had the beefy-est set of tires i could find, and still had a puncture from a screw.
$20 solved that problem at any tire repair place. I'm not too worried about that.

All this back and forth is good tho. Competitive marketplace FTW!

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:44 am »
Can i get a price on Hakk 5's too?
195/55R16

I spend way too much time on residential streets in this city...

PM sent.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2008, 01:22:12 pm »
SPECIAL on Yokohama AVS Winter V901 - 205/50R17 !!!

Check for details under Vendor Marketplace, 1010 Tires.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline lola

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 01:34:39 pm »
i'm a little late with my opinion lol but I'll echo every single positive RSI comment!  I had mine for 3 full winters and they have been amazing for EXTENSIVE driving for ski trips, up and over the Kootenay Pass multiple times in all conditions, PLUS basically 2 and a half seasons of winter autocross.  I am looking to replace them this winter but only because i need some new grip for autocross ;)

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 01:36:51 pm »
i'm a little late with my opinion lol but I'll echo every single positive RSI comment!  I had mine for 3 full winters and they have been amazing for EXTENSIVE driving for ski trips, up and over the Kootenay Pass multiple times in all conditions, PLUS basically 2 and a half seasons of winter autocross.  I am looking to replace them this winter but only because i need some new grip for autocross ;)

Although I know nothing about them cuz they're so new, I'd say your best bet would be to step up the Hakk R's.  You'll probably love them more than the RSI's even.

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 02:07:45 pm »

Yeah check out the new Hakka. R, as the RSi's have been discontinued for this year. Nokian lists them as an improvement over the RSi.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2008, 11:41:12 am »
Anyone receive there Hakk R's yet?  I want to take a look at them before I buy a set.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 11:44:28 am »
Anyone receive there Hakk R's yet?  I want to take a look at them before I buy a set.

Ordered monday. I'll post when they show up.
But in the OTHER winter tire thread (I think there are 4 now), someone received them already.
Not sure if it was in edm or cowtown.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:52 pm »

I know Jeff had some in stock if you wanted to go by and check them out
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 02:45:08 pm »

I know Jeff had some in stock if you wanted to go by and check them out

I actually got off the phone with him a bit earlier.  He said they were trying to sell off all the RSI's first then they could release the R's.  They just got released yesterday or today.

I also talked to him about everyone phoning in to talk to Chad for prices and how that kind of screwed over everyone going through Jeff as the man to talk to for sweet tire prices.  I mean, they can't have two guys giving out WSC discount pricing, especially if it's two different prices.  Doesnt really matter now though.

Nonetheless, I got a good deal from him to mount my winter tires even if I buy them elsewhere, so I am happy.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 02:47:53 pm »
Nonetheless, I got a good deal from him to mount my winter tires even if I buy them elsewhere, so I am happy.

Good deal? Do tell!
or PM if it was secret.
I'll need to mount mine eventually.

Offline Dirtysohc

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2008, 02:54:26 pm »
I am wondering what everyones opinons are on the Yokohama AVS Winter V901 tires and Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3. I bought a set of Kuhmo KW19's last year and they were very good, but I wouldnt mide getting something different to try out. I am torn between all 3 choices...lol

Thanks!

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2008, 05:41:43 pm »
I am wondering what everyones opinons are on the Yokohama AVS Winter V901 tires and Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3. I bought a set of Kuhmo KW19's last year and they were very good, but I wouldnt mide getting something different to try out. I am torn between all 3 choices...lol

Thanks!

The Yoko. V901 and Dunflop M3 are both high performance winters. Your Kumho KW19 is a touring class, and will have much better winter traction than those 2 choices, but will handle worse.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline Scout255

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2008, 08:51:52 am »
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608129

Thought someone may be interested in it.

Looks like the Yokohama IG20's, bidgestone Blizzak WS60's, Toyo Observa G-02 Plus get the highest rating for touring tires and the Toyo Observa Garit KX is best for performance.

They have quite a lot of tires they tested and you can use babelfish or something to translate the review on tires that you are interested in.

Perihelion

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 05:53:46 pm »
Hey, I have a friend that just bought a 2005 STI and can't seem to find winter steelies.  What's everyone running?  Does he have to get alloys?

Thanks!

Offline 1010tires.com

• Stubbly Faced
    • 1010tires.com
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 06:06:20 pm »
Just to let you guys know, word on the street says the Free Winter Tire Shipping Promo is going to end in a couple days.
Ryan
ryan@1010tires.com

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2008, 11:14:58 pm »
Hey, I have a friend that just bought a 2005 STI and can't seem to find winter steelies.  What's everyone running?  Does he have to get alloys?

Thanks!

I am not aware of any steelies that will clear the Brembos, so he is stuck with getting alloys.  I run Rotas as my disposable winter rims, since they are not much more than steelies.  You can often find decent deals on cheap cast rims that will clear the Brembos and are +48 offset at Tirerack.

Otherwise, ask around the vendors like 1010tires to see what they might have for cheap winter rims.  frcefed also has a WSC discount at one of the Kal Tire places in Edmonton if that is where your friend lives.

Perihelion

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2008, 05:57:59 am »

Thanks!

I am not aware of any steelies that will clear the Brembos, so he is stuck with getting alloys.  I run Rotas as my disposable winter rims, since they are not much more than steelies.  You can often find decent deals on cheap cast rims that will clear the Brembos and are +48 offset at Tirerack.

Otherwise, ask around the vendors like 1010tires to see what they might have for cheap winter rims.  frcefed also has a WSC discount at one of the Kal Tire places in Edmonton if that is where your friend lives.

OK, thanks for the info.