Author Topic: Winter Tires Review  (Read 112961 times)

Offline Saul

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 Forester 2.0XT Touring
Re: Winter Tires Review
« Reply #675 on: November 14, 2014, 02:46:54 pm »
I had those on the Impreza, decent tire and I was happy with them.  A bit slippery on ice still but to be honest I'm finding a bit of the same with the R2's so...

DaDuke99

« Reply #676 on: November 17, 2014, 05:27:58 pm »
Hakka 8's - What everyone else said. Kinda noisy at first/slow speed but really nothing annoying. Amazing grip. I've only had studless winters (Hankook ipikes I believe) on a cavalier to compare them to though. I'm definitely feeling spoiled going from a crappy fwd with meh tires to this winter/snow slaying beast. It takes everything I have to not get a bit sideways on pretty much every snow filled turn I come across.  >:D

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #677 on: November 20, 2014, 09:57:50 am »
Do the Hakka 8's feel as squirmy as the R2's? Anyone know?

That's one thing that annoyed me even when I aired em way up. Snow/ice grip was great... but dry pavement (90% of my driving) handling/braking was hell.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #678 on: November 21, 2014, 08:14:52 am »
no experience with the R2s but my Hakka 8s are squirmy as hell on dry pavement. far more slip than my old winters during cornering and braking.
will try airing them up when I'm back from vacation, but I doubt that will make a huge difference.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #679 on: November 21, 2014, 08:47:44 am »
no experience with the R2s but my Hakka 8s are squirmy as hell on dry pavement. far more slip than my old winters during cornering and braking.
will try airing them up when I'm back from vacation, but I doubt that will make a huge difference.

i think thats the nature of studded tires.  mine gislaveds are not too great on dry pavement.  so ive only been driving the subaru when its snowing and for a few days after. 

because rallycar

Offline yella

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #680 on: November 21, 2014, 02:01:38 pm »
Hakka 8's do have a break in period.  They improve once the cushions under the studs soften up.  However if you think your going to hammer into a dry corner with most winters, and not feel squirmy you will.  I always run higher pressure to in my winters as it helps this a bit......especially in this unusual warm weather so far they will feel even more squirmy!

2007 Subaru STI Stage 3
Kal Tire Manager
Build Thread http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=40781.0

Offline GTRAuto

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
« Reply #681 on: November 21, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »
this just came out - http://www.apa.ca/tire_wintertireratings.asp

I am loving my nordfrost 100!
info@gtrauto.ca
www.gtrauto.ca

COBB, Motul, RedLine, KW, SONAX, Invidia

Offline Saul

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 Forester 2.0XT Touring
« Reply #682 on: November 21, 2014, 02:27:09 pm »
However if you think your going to hammer into a dry corner with most winters, and not feel squirmy you will.

Pretty much.. Winters have a softer compound and deeper tread for a reason.  Winter conditions.

I'm pretty pleased with the R2 SUV in that respect.  They don't don't feel nearly as bad as the Toyo Garit's did on the Impreza.  I am a little disappointed with their performance on ice though.  They don't seem any better than the Garit's did in that area.  Almost think I should have gone with the Haka 8's after all..

Offline Blue Monday

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 WRX 265 Hatchback
« Reply #683 on: November 22, 2014, 03:02:07 pm »
225/45/R17 Arctic Claw on stock bbs rims is what my car came with i have NEVER had winter tires on a Subaru only All season lol shame on me

I just picked up some arctic claws too (on steel wheels), I can now brake again without locking up and sliding at the slightest touch (Summer Tires).
If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost