Author Topic: anyone try stand up paddle boarding?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline RJK

• Stubbly Faced
anyone try stand up paddle boarding?
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:50:11 pm »
idk if this is the right place but just wondering if anyone one here has tried it? i got hooked on it last year in hawaii and bought a couple locally here when i returned. once you try it your hooked.  anyway i bring this up because there is a big race/tour in edmonton on the river on the 11th and then a surf comp in west ed mall on the 12th! the store easy rider here puts the event on and its a blast. the owner has a subie himself (rly nice red wrx with a youtube video of him driving at rabbit hill).  the 18km river race isnt as bad is it sounds and the west ed surf is one of the funnest things ive done! just i thought i mention this in case anyone had a intrest. o and the 10 000 bucks in entry prizes doesnt sound bad either  ;D

5thSUP-Cup1_1 by rjknysh31, on Flickr

ww10 by rjknysh31, on Flickr

Offline twobigdogs

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 legacy wagon GT limited
anyone try stand up paddle boarding?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:09:36 pm »
They have a race in calgary too... I live in chestermere and tried it from a guy who rents them on our lake.... Needless to say I also got hooked and bought a starboard big easy in August... Buying a second board for my boys this year to keep the paddling going in the house.... Looks sweet on top of my LGT wagon too! Happy paddling

Offline Soobnoob

• Stubbly Faced
  • You just can't fix stupid.
  • Ride: 2015 Ford Fiesta ST, 2015 Forester XT Ltd. Tech Pkg., 05 Impreza RS-T
Re: anyone try stand up paddle boarding?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:05 am »
Tried the SUP demo at west Ed and loved it. Going to Sayulita this coming Saturday for a paddle board vacation.

Sent from my iSheep using Tapatlak 2
2015 Ford Fiesta ST Performance Blue.

Offline superman-4

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 05 WRX Wagon
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:49:58 am »
I rented a paddle board when I was on vacation last week, it was pretty fun.  I was only on a lake and to be honest, it wasn't much different then canoeing, but I think taking one down a river would be pretty rad.  How much did you guys pay for your boards?  How much would one have to pay to buy an decent entry-level board?  Any other gear required besides the paddle and possibly wetsuit?

Offline krisr33

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 05 WRB STI Airboy tuned
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:37:13 am »
A friend of mine runs stand up classes at lake summer side on wednesday and Thursday nights. It's a great time with great people. All the instructors are certified lifeguards and have been in or around the water their whole lives. I recently tried it with them and it's probably one of the most relaxing things I have done. Feel free to drop by one evening, it's put on by watermen-5.

Offline Soobnoob

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:50:40 pm »
Tried and conquered Sayulita Mexico on an SUP. being on the open ocean on a board is the best experience. Surfing is even more fun and equally difficult, time and practice. I'm going to be buying a board in the very near future. Paddling in Edmonton does the sport no justice, but will give you a good idea of what it's about.

Offline krisr33

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:29:56 pm »
Tried and conquered Sayulita Mexico on an SUP. being on the open ocean on a board is the best experience. Surfing is even more fun and equally difficult, time and practice. I'm going to be buying a board in the very near future. Paddling in Edmonton does the sport no justice, but will give you a good idea of what it's about.

If you are looking for a board, the afor mentioned Watermen-5 sells boards for much less than the local buisnesses. They also sell their teaching boards at the end of the season for a rather good discount. If you are interested in them, feel free to drop by lake summer side on Tuesday, Wednesday or thursday

Offline Soobnoob

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:04:06 am »
My wife has tried their demos, I am more experienced and know what I want for a board, will check them out for sure. I am leaning more towards a blend type if board. I can do flat water and ocean.

Offline krisr33

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced

Offline krisr33

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:36 am »
Waterman5 are having their end of season sale on all their boards and gear on September 15 at lake summer side. If you are looking to get into the sport or just want a new board, they are great guys to talk to. Visit their Facebook page or their website for info

http://waterman5.com