Author Topic: 2012/ 2013 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 8423 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
2012/ 2013 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:18:04 pm »
I'm going to try to keep this post updated with relevant and reliable info. I've got a pretty good grasp on where to go for snowboarding, so if you have any ski specific links send me a pm and I'll add it to the list below. Your one stop shop for all your skiing and riding needs. Cheers!

Rider Resources

data|stats and knowledge. be aware, ski and ride with care!
Snow Reports and *LIVE* Resort Webcams - snow reports links and in-thread live webcams
www.snow-forecast.com/ - resort and mountain snow forecasts
Avalanche Safety - iPhone app, bulletins, training

media|music and videos. get stoked!
www.snowboardingtunes.com - video soundtrack listings
www.ridertunes.com/ - video soundtrack listings
2012/2013 Video Trailers - new release video trailers
The Art of Flight Music - YouTube music playlist

gear|online gear. review, buy, and shred!
Ski/Snowboard/Gear Reviews - WSC reviews
The Source - online store
Mountain Equipment Co-op - online store

ride|meets and trips. get outside!
Ski/Snowboard Meets and Rides - WSC meets and trips
www.liftopia.com - discounted lift tickets
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
Re: 2012/ 2013 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:27:15 pm »
Too early? Probably.

Anyways, was wandering around the local farmers market (downtown Penticton) and noticed one of the local board shops had a 2 for 1 deal on everything snowboard related. Even snowboards. Ridiculous! MRS EDJ needed a new board, so I figured it was a great opportunity.

MRS EDJ ended up with a Bataleon Feel Better 143 with Burton Lexa Bindings.

P1070711 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1070714 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1070712 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

I already have a pretty solid all mountain shredder so I decided to try something "experimental," the Burton Nug in a 144 with Burton X Base binders. Wait, 144? Yup. It's a tiny board designed to ride 8-10 cm shorter than you normally would. Sounded fun so I decided to try it out.

P1070706 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1070707 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1070708 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1070709 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

And with that... it begins!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline The Goat

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2011 STI Sedan WRB, 1997 JDM Forester S/TB
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:59:32 am »
144  :o :o

I understand that I ride a 162 Burton Supermodel X Board with Burton EST C60s Bindings as a mountain carver. I HAD but was stole from my underground storage 3 months ago a Burton Dominate 156 with Mission bindings was a fun park set up nice and soft and responsive. The 156 vs 162 on a mountain was night and day, I would just slide down the hill sideways on the 156 where the 162 digs in and can actually carve.

My Supermodel is an amazing board not going to replace it, but thinking of a nice short step child for a park board this winter. I am going to miss that Dominate it was great board.
"When there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire"

2011 GR STI
1997 S/TB Forester

Offline DeleriousZ

• Patchy Faced
  • Back in a Suby
  • Ride: 98 2.5rs, 88 300zx x2. 04.5 GLI.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:03:40 pm »
Can't wait to hit the slopes this year, definitely going to have to do some carpooling and get to know the wsc crew better!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:57:38 pm »
144  :o :o

I understand that I ride a 162 Burton Supermodel X Board with Burton EST C60s Bindings as a mountain carver. I HAD but was stole from my underground storage 3 months ago a Burton Dominate 156 with Mission bindings was a fun park set up nice and soft and responsive. The 156 vs 162 on a mountain was night and day, I would just slide down the hill sideways on the 156 where the 162 digs in and can actually carve.

My Supermodel is an amazing board not going to replace it, but thinking of a nice short step child for a park board this winter. I am going to miss that Dominate it was great board.

I've ridden quite a few different kinds of boards over the years from shorter, flexy freestyle boards to longer, ultra aggressive big mountain boards. On one end of the scale, a reverse cambered 155 Burton Hero and on the other end, a cambered 161 Endeavor BOD. I consider myself to be a big mountain rider. I'm not particularly fond of parks, but I do like to hit some jumps once in a while. When it really comes down to it though, all I want to ride is big terrain with deep snow. So why on earth do I ride what some would consider to be a park board? Because I've learned over the years that shorter is better. And by better, I mean more fun. Way more fun.

That was basically the motivation for the Nug. It is literally the shortest board I have ever owned, even going back to when I was a 13 year old kid I rode a 149. Reading reviews it seemed like people were just laughing silly the whole time they rode it. I hope it is that good!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:47:10 am »
I can't wait for this season either and I'm really hoping that I get this new position in Calgary that I'm vying for. If I am down there this year  Iam definately up for some car pooling.

I've been rocking a Burton T6 and a Forum Seeker for a few years now. I love the burton, its suck a fast and agyle board.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline rwolf

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 09 IS250 Rowing Edition
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:08:32 pm »
Any good mountains in Montana?  I regularly goto sunshine/louise but want to change it up.

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »
EDJ, has your MRS tried the tbt before with Batalean boards?

Offline DeleriousZ

• Patchy Faced
  • Back in a Suby
  • Ride: 98 2.5rs, 88 300zx x2. 04.5 GLI.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:19:30 pm »
Any good mountains in Montana?  I regularly goto sunshine/louise but want to change it up.

If you're willing to make the drive, Mt. Baker in washington is uckfaying amazing. They get insane amounts of snow there every year. I think in november 2008? they got 11 feet in one month...

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:53:22 pm »

Ever been to Castle Mountain, Fernie, or Kicking Horse? All are within 3 hours drive of Calgary. It's not Montana by any means (I've heard Whitefish is decent but I've never ventured down there), but those are my 3 top picks. BC and Alberta have some of the best in-bounds terrain in the world, sometimes it's just not worth going elsewhere!

EDJ, has your MRS tried the tbt before with Batalean boards?

Nope, it's going to be a new experience for her.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 05:56:51 pm »

H

Haha... It is definitely going to be a different experience. Tbt is actually pretty awesome once you get used to it, but I definitely hated my Bataleon board when I had it. Worst waste of money ever.

Would it be possible for the MRS to post up a review of the board after she's ridden it for awhile? I'm curious as to what has changed since I hopped on one.

Offline AWDizzy

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 04 STi
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »
When it really comes down to it though, all I want to ride is big terrain with deep snow. So why on earth do I ride what some would consider to be a park board? Because I've learned over the years that shorter is better. And by better, I mean more fun. Way more fun.

That was basically the motivation for the Nug. It is literally the shortest board I have ever owned, even going back to when I was a 13 year old kid I rode a 149. Reading reviews it seemed like people were just laughing silly the whole time they rode it. I hope it is that good!

As far as fun's concerned, great choice on the Nug..I ride a Capita green machine 58 and have rode all kinds of Burton, Rome, Ride and Lib Tech boards over the years and ride mostly park (and Castle pow of course)...I tried one out last year at Louise during the Burton demo and it was unreal. Unbelievably solid at speed, great off medium/large jumps, perfect for playing around on boxes/rails and best of all it ripped in the pow. Did a few runs in tight trees off ptarmigan and larch and had no issues in the deep stuff and with the short length navigating was easy...Only downside I can see would be big landings as you don't have really any tail behind your back foot to work with, but just shredding the thing was a blast.
She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. -Han Solo

Offline scoobySTi

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 06 STi
Re: Re: 2012/ 2013 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:06:42 pm »
Ever been to Castle Mountain, Fernie, or Kicking Horse? All are within 3 hours drive of Calgary. It's not Montana by any means (I've heard Whitefish is decent but I've never ventured down there), but those are my 3 top picks. BC and Alberta have some of the best in-bounds terrain in the world, sometimes it's just not worth going elsewhere!

I was at whitefish over Feb break/reading week last year. Not as big as most hills but plenty if great terrain to ski/snowboard. We had a 60 cm dump of snow over night. Unbelievable!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Offline rwolf

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 09 IS250 Rowing Edition
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 07:11:09 pm »

Castle is alright, although I went where the snow was crusty... I can see it being awesome on a pow day.

as mt. Baker, I could've went while I was working in Van, but didn't have my passport at the time...

jaymzee

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 08:19:37 pm »
I'll start it up for the 2 plankers
Park/ rock skis line Lizzie's 172
Big mountain funk stuff
Armada Jj's 185s... They're effin huge!!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
Sweet deal on a "pow day" kit. Avalung equipped pack, pole, and shovel for cheap! Not sure I would want this deep in the back country as you would likely want a bigger shovel and a longer pole, but this would be a great kit for riding big days inbounds.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/snow-safety/bandit-avalung-pack-package-2011

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 10:56:58 am »
this might sound dumb, but for all you skiers out there.  is there anything specific you do to improve your leg strength and fitness for the ski season?

last season i started to really struggle on multi-day trips or when skiing big terrain.  it's probably because i'm getting old now, haha.  unfortunately i have a respiratory issue that will prevent me from hitting the mountains until the tail end of this season. generally i have an ok level of fitness, but i feel like it's holding me back from skiing to the best of my abilities.

Offline Kazoobaru

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '95 GF8 555 & a big booty mitsu
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 11:37:13 am »
BC and Alberta have some of the best in-bounds terrain in the world, sometimes it's just not worth going elsewhere!

Ditto. I was a member all through highschool at Sun Peaks just outside of Kamloops. I loved that mountain; had some great pow.

Definitely want to get in on a trip this year, went on a trip the year before last to Fernie which was a blast, but nothing last year. Poor board is collecting dust :(

A weekend (or however long possible) trip would be awesome this year! I haven't been to very many mountains so I'm pretty much open to any place. Planning should commence soon though, to avoid too much indecisiveness and chaos
"Help! I lost my steering wheel! Can you help me find it!?"

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Cholo
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »
this might sound dumb, but for all you skiers out there.  is there anything specific you do to improve your leg strength and fitness for the ski season?

Have the same problem first couple times of the year going out to the mountains. I workout frequently, play on a mens soccer team and was still finding myself gassed halfway down the hill. There are simple leg excercises you can do at the gym (or home with basic equipment) that should help you get in shape prior to the start of the season but I found that after a couple goods trips out I was fine and could go an entire day without having to stop to catch my wind. Jogging, swimming, or any other sort of cardio helps but you're still going to use different muscles on the hill than you would doing a basic workout. Good luck!

Can't wait for the hills to open and its only September!   
Yeah your car is like a mythical creature.

*was

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »
Premier season for this years shred flicks is upon us... what are you stoked for? What are you going to see?

These are my three top picks, in no particular order... Burton's "13", Abisinthe Films' "Resonance", Jeremy Jones' "Further"

Dammit. All I want to do is snowboard. Is it winter yet?
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 12:32:59 pm »
Kind of on topic with movies,
Anyone have the name of the video for that snowboard competition out in the back country (i think near Revy BC)?  A bunch of pro's and a lumberjack went out in the summer and made a crazy terrain park?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 01:08:13 pm »
Kind of on topic with movies,
Anyone have the name of the video for that snowboard competition out in the back country (i think near Revy BC)?  A bunch of pro's and a lumberjack went out in the summer and made a crazy terrain park?

Red Bull Supernatural

Here's the entire show... watch it. Watch it now!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 02:44:04 pm »
Man that was a sick competition, I PVR'ed back in Feb and still watch it over again. In fact I have found that most of the redbull signature series have been really fun to watch.
Crushed ice, wake boarding, this weekend was surfing at Huntington beach. Next week is X fitters which I am excited to watch.

For those Edm folk 13 will be played at easyrider, drive-in style like last year. Not sure of dates but check their web site.   

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »
Oh! That's sweet Rex! Will you be going to this?

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 02:16:53 pm »
I went to it last year and it was OK, I was with my wife who was pregnant and was not happy it went so late and we had to stay to the end as we were blocked in in the parking lot.
This year, well she is not pregnant but we have a little one so if I do it it will be with friends.

They (easy rider) normally tag on a 24hr sale were every hr there is a ridiculous sale. eg, avi backpacks for $40 reg some where $199, I think 60% off all nixon watches another hr etc... I mean just crazy blow outs.

They even had a funky pickle set up where they did car to car service. haha.