Author Topic: how-to: fit an aftermarket header on an 06-07 wrx  (Read 1990 times)

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • rides spanning 20 years of boosted goodness
  • Ride: Pretty much everything
how-to: fit an aftermarket header on an 06-07 wrx
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:38:41 am »
if any of you 06-07 wrx guys have been looking at getting an aftermarket header, you have probably seen the very frustrating "*Requires modification to the oil cooler" with no explanation of the modification required, or what the problem actually is.

well i bought a used APS EL header some time ago and and did a lot of research with regards to what would need to be modified to make them fit.  information was plentiful for header installs on STi's (no mods needed) and 2.0L WRX's (STi/2.5L wrx oil pan is needed), but almost no info on 06-07 wrx installs.  i ended up piecing together enough info to have a go at making mine fit, and here is my story.

the problem that 06-07 wrx's have with aftermarket headers is that the oil cooler/filter stack sits on a little spacer assembly that tilts the oil cooler 10 or 15 degrees.  the end result is that the oil filter now sits lower and angled instead of vertical, coming into contact with most aftermarket header designs.

Perrin (among a few others) suggest getting your hands on an oil cooler assembly from an 02-05 wrx or 04-07 STi, and perrin even has some for sale (i presume brand new, under $300) on their website if you go into the 'applications' tab on any of their header listings.  if you're looking to have the least amount of trouble with the install and can source one of these then go for it, it'll make things simpler.

here is a nice exploded diagram i found on perrin's website (after i did the install unfortunately)

more to come

-sean
AWDsome.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • rides spanning 20 years of boosted goodness
  • Ride: Pretty much everything
Re: how-to: fit an aftermarket header on an 06-07 wrx
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48:34 am »
i didn't have an 02-05wrx or STi oil cooler handy, and ordering one would have meant another few weeks of waiting because i live right at the corner of No and Where.  I did have access to a Ver8 JDM STi engine to experiment with, but the coolant lines come off the cooler in the wrong directions, so unless you want to do a lot of major re-routing and add a lot of extra heater hose then i would stick to usdm models.

just to see if i could make it work, i decided to try removing the pedestal and mounting my oem 06-07 cooler flush to the block like the other oil coolers are.  i knew i would need to do some bending of at least one of the hard coolant lines on the cooler, and maybe add a bit of heater hose to account for the new position.

first off, remove stuff.  filter comes off as normal.

the threaded shaft that your oil filter screws on to is also a 'bolt' that holds the oil cooler on to the spacer.  a deep 24mm socket will take it off.  more oil will come out and the cooler will hang by the coolant hoses.  find something to plug the coolant hoses with if you don't want to do a coolant change, it's a low point in the system and will drain your rad if the coolant lines aren't plugged when the cooler is removed from them.

the spacer thing comes off in 2 pieces, 10mm bolts hold the lower spacer to the upper, and a hollow 21mm bolt holds the upper plate to the block.  it takes a bit of yanking to pull the plates off, there's o-rings in there keeping everything tight.

getting both plates off will show you the mounting surface on the block

at this point i had to bend the longer coolant tube on the stock oil cooler so that it would clear the timing cover at the front of the engine.  i would imagine this is not necessary if you get one of the replacement ones listed previously. 

the 21mm bolt that held the upper plate onto the block is the same thread as the 24mm threaded shaft that held the oil cooler to the plates/holds the filter, so the oil cooler can be attached directly to the mating surface on the block.  check that everything is clean and that the orange seal on the upper end of the oil cooler is good and throw it on there.

the shorter coolant tube mated up fine with it's heater hose, but the longer tube which i had bent was sitting just a little short of the oem heater hose so i cut a longer length of 1/2" heater hose that i had lying around and all was solved.

the header then went on with no issues at all, the filter sits vertically and has lots of clearance around it.  i did this install a week and a bit ago, put around 500km on and i've seen no leaks or other problems.

as always when changing stuff on your car, do it at your own risk.  this seems to have worked perfectly fine for me so far.

hope this helps

-sean

AWDsome.