Author Topic: clipless pedals.  (Read 2399 times)

Offline megapark

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2010 Hyundai Elantra
clipless pedals.
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:08:52 am »
I finally found a pair of biking shoes that actually fit me, what does everyone here think of the clipless pedals?

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: clipless pedals.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 06:54:25 am »
They have there benefits and drawbacks. FOr the most part it comes down to personal preference. Personally I ride flats as I am on/off my bike a lot in more technical sections and I have a very bad knee (currently torn miniscus and previously repaired ACL) so I don't want to risk being attached in a crash and twisting it.

That being said, most who I talk to say they come unclipped when they fall quite easily, still just not worth the risk for the benefits for me. It is said that you will have more power in pedaling (I cannot speak from experience as I have neven ridden clipped in) and also you foot is always in the correct position. If you decide to go clipped in, practice first riding around parking lots/fields until you are good at getting unclipped quickly and then hit the trails. If you decide to ride flats, get a quality set of flats and a proper pair of shoes (510 and Teva make the most common ones).

Another place to look is on pinkbike, there are tons of threads on there with lots of info. You just have to wade through the fanboy crap to get to the actual useful information. Hope that helps.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:43:23 am »
I ride flats as well. I picked up a pair of 510 shoes this year and next year I'll get some new pedals. I'm too unfimiliar/uncomfortable with them, plus it can be a little pricy for a decent setup.

I founda  great little article on pinkbike regarding which muscles are active in the different sections of the pedal stroke.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Which-Muscles-are-Really-Used-During-the-Pedal-Stroke-2012.html
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:48 am »
I haven't ridden in years, but my foray into clipless consisted of Shimano 636 pedals.  For mountain biking they're as close to a compromise between micro clipless pedals, and platforms and were decent enough for moderate/quicker technical riding.

Or you could just get some Shinburger pedals  >:D

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:07 pm »
I have a pair of Ritchey pedals on my cross bike (which gets swapped over to my xc hardtail).. they're nice.  I've been riding them for about 12 years, at the loosest of loose settings.

Took a bit to get used to them now.  It feels odd with my other bike riding on flats without them.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline megapark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »
They have there benefits and drawbacks. FOr the most part it comes down to personal preference. Personally I ride flats as I am on/off my bike a lot in more technical sections and I have a very bad knee (currently torn miniscus and previously repaired ACL) so I don't want to risk being attached in a crash and twisting it.

That being said, most who I talk to say they come unclipped when they fall quite easily, still just not worth the risk for the benefits for me. It is said that you will have more power in pedaling (I cannot speak from experience as I have neven ridden clipped in) and also you foot is always in the correct position. If you decide to go clipped in, practice first riding around parking lots/fields until you are good at getting unclipped quickly and then hit the trails. If you decide to ride flats, get a quality set of flats and a proper pair of shoes (510 and Teva make the most common ones).

Another place to look is on pinkbike, there are tons of threads on there with lots of info. You just have to wade through the fanboy crap to get to the actual useful information. Hope that helps.

Will do for sure, thank you for the info in your post as well. I was only looking into getting the clipless pedals as I'm sick of my feet jumping off and smashing my shins on the pedals when coming off drops. Next stop, pinkbike!

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
clipless pedals.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:34 pm »
I clip in always, but I'm either commuting or road riding. I use egg beaters. They always work even when they are full of mud or snow. If you decide they are the way to go stay away from candies go with the pure egg beaters.

Offline BuzSTid

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:45:16 pm »
love em, 10 + years of use, no more shin bites. they really helps when hill climbing, just takes a bit of time to get used to them

Offline jk

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: No longer a Subaru :/
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »
Been riding Crankbrothers Candies for years. Cheap, reasonably durable, unlimited warranty and tons of float. I would definitely recommend them.

Offline Tricky [RCAF]

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: WRX swap Impreza coupe For Sale, 06 WRX wagon
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »
I clip in always, but I'm either commuting or road riding. I use egg beaters. They always work even when they are full of mud or snow. If you decide they are the way to go stay away from candies go with the pure egg beaters.

My bike came with Candies but I would go with pure egg beaters if and when they need to be replaced.

Offline Lìam

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1995 wrx RA
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:36:53 am »
I second that, the cage on the candys isn't that relavent. The egg beaters are plenty solid.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:04 am »
Depends on whether it's road or mountain... I like to be very solidly clipped in on the road. I've had my Shimano's come unclipped in the testosterone-fueled sprint-fest that inevitably happens at the end of "easy" rides.

I ride with egg beaters on my mountain bike. I like being clipped in when hauling assay over rock gardens and stuff - my feet used to get vibrated off the pedals. Being clipped in helps you stay smooth on steep slippery climbs. They don't seem to net you more peak power, just more power under the curveO0

Just make sure you're fitted to your bike. I had some pretty bad knee pain due to poor ergonomics. I was cycling 5-6 hours every day of the week, though...
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline megapark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 05:29:51 pm »
I ended up going with the Candys. Tried them out for a longer ride yesterday, and I have to say it's a night and day difference. Managed to only fall once, and it was because of an ice patch on one of the hills I had to climb. managed to un-clip myself the other few times. Going to flip the clips so that they'll be 20* instead of the 15* release.

After the ride, I'm quite pleased with them. still feel very solid under my feet, while allowing enough movement. One of the sales guys there allowed me to try his bike with the Egg beaters, and unfortunately, I was not completely satisfied.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 07:20:30 pm »
I use the pure egg beaters. Great for winter commuting as they always work even when your shoes are packed full of snow/ice.