Author Topic: What did I break?? And tell me what these parts are/do...  (Read 1473 times)

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
What did I break?? And tell me what these parts are/do...
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:13:15 pm »
Just finished installing a silicon turbo inlet, fml is that a ittshay job.  During the swearing, bleeding and fighting I managed to snap off a little fitting as picured  :-[. It runs from the intake manifold into a little box with a plug so must be some sort of sensor I assume but exactly what it does, or it's needed (Can it be deleted rather than fixed?) I have no ideas. I'm tired and frustrated after that install and would rather wake up to some answers than scour the forums looking for them.  There is supposed to be another nipple on that plastic piece in the first picture but is snapped off in the end of the hose in the 2nd picture. 

Also for anybody that has done a turbo inlet install, what is that little fitting with the plug that is between the inlet and PCV and what did you do with it?  The how-to I read said they just left it plugged in but left it out of the system from what I understood but like everything im sure it has a purpose.

Offline silverSTi

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2006 Yamaha R6, 2012 Ram 1500 Sport
What did I break?? And tell me what these parts are/do...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:18:55 pm »
I think the hose from the PCV to the intake is just putting the blow by back into the intake. That's what it was for in my dodge anyways. I don't know.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: What did I break?? And tell me what these parts are/do...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »
That hose is used to pull vacuum on the crank case from the inlet but on the fitting coming out of the inlet there is an electrical plug. Not sure if this is measuring anything important and if I can just get rid of it like they did in the how to with no ill reprocussions. I'll do some reading on the vacuum system tomorrow and I'm sure I'll figure it out. The angle on the hose from the PCV to the new fitting on the inlet is kinda bonkers and I can't make the old fitting with the wiring to it fit??
I looked through a few inlet how-to's but haven't found any solid answers yet and figure one of the wsc gurus had some insight.

Offline gd8

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 04 WRX, 08 XT
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:59:57 pm »
I broke the same thing too. 
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=30706.0
The wires coming out is power actuator.  It doesn't measure anything.  The measuring is done elsewhere.

This is on the same circuit as the cel when your fuel cap isn't on tight enough. All part of the emission check system.

Offline Roadwarrior

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2006 Ford Focus
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:51 am »
The little harness that plugs into the PCV doesnt do anything but close the circuit. I was going through this to fix my cel and after some reading found out that it doesnt really do anything and you can just pull the little connector out from the plug and plug it into the harness and it will do everything you need.
God must love crazy people, he made a lot of them.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:24 am »
that is correct it is for the evap system, it will cause a cel, and is a pain in the assay, I plan on deleting the evap system, so if you want Kenny I can give you my spare parts.

go to page 20 and 23 both have a diagram to look at for the tube you say should be left undone, which is not correct, every line on the manifold either needs to go somewhere or be capped.

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/STi_Manual/02.%20ENGINE%20SECTION%20(STi)/01.%20FUEL%20INJECTION%20(FUEL%20SYSTEMS)/03.%20Intake%20Manifold.pdf

removal
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2094820
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-members-journals/103508-vladimir-my05-obp-sti-fenders-pulled-again-wheels-11.html

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:41:04 am »
In my garage shenanigans earlier this year, mine was also snapped.
After I discovered that sensor is 90 bucks (which means easily $200 from a local stealer) I decided that plasticweld would make its introduction to racekar.

PW the nipple back onto the sensor. It's been running that way for 6000km now with no issue.
If your nipple is borked (heh) just sand down the area on the solenoid, buy a 27 cent nipple from partsource, and PW it on.
The key is to make sure there are no pinhole leaks.

...Assuming this is what you broke.
Part #10
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_5/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/intake_manifold/illustration_7/

16102AA391
http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=15210

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:18:55 am »
Thanks yallz, while it appears I'm fine leaving that fitting out of the PCV line and just leave it plugged in I guess I'll have to fix that little "duty solenoid."  I am going to pull it out of the car and see if princess auto has some sort of threaded nipple I can "adapt" onto where the broken piece used to be. If not try to glue the old nipple back on like Cam said he did with success.  Stupid plastic fantastic fittings which cant't be pried against  >:(

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:10 am »
Yeah that's an idea.
Obviously that little bit is plastic, so you *should* be able to carefully drill out a bigger hole to fit a brass screw-in fitting in there. (Yes, PA should have them. I've looked at them before.)
I also considered that as an option if the PW didn't work.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:15:17 am »
If anybody cares this is how I fixed it.

Found a similar sized nipple from a windshield washer hose connection. Drilled out the hole where the broken one came off, jammed the new one in and gooped the uckfay out of it with some fusor. Not pretty but it works! The punch was to keep it lined up and keep the hole open.
I tried to smooth the fusor out but it had already started to harden and just made a mess  :sarcasm:

Offline Roadwarrior

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2006 Ford Focus
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:03:27 am »
Thats a work of art.
God must love crazy people, he made a lot of them.

Offline Klautt

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 05 STi -> Volvo V70R -> 09 WRX Hatchback.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47:43 am »
Posting for memory. I'm also in the middle of a inlet install,