Author Topic: Hello from Madagascar - Errr...Ethiopia...Canada...56k, no f'in way  (Read 16933 times)

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
Despite your comments, your journal is really making me think about my boring office job.  It really gives me the urge to sign up for Habitat for humanity in some 3rd world location so i can help build homes for people in need for a few years. 

Or Maybe i just need a vacation some where outside of Canada.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
Booked up an appt for Tuesday there

Are you back home? :)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
Oh yeah, I'm home  :)

Will have to sort through my pics and do a mass upload.  I realized today that I haven't sorted through my pics from last fall either. 

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Uploaded a bunch of pics, hard to tell if I picked the good ones in the small preview screen and I should really sort through all my pictures at some point and cull out the crap, I'm about 2 years behind...  Here's a small sampling, the rest can be found here: http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/maynardx/Ethiopia/

Addis Ababa

Oops, they did manage to rescue the "scaffolding" and no one died

"Hotel" in the nomadic village near camp; Germans like paying a lot of money to stay here

The volcano trip, Antenna's first time in a chopper, he was pretty stoked

Mt Dallol, Sulpher springs and mine from the 50's - 60's

Salt Miners

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Hello from Madagascar - Errr...Ethiopia...Canada...56k, no f'in way
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:31 am »
Interesting thing to note; you'll notice how thin the salt miner's appendages are, you can't accuse these guys of being overfed, but they're not starving.  It's an adaptation to the heat.  Even very well fed, wealthy people in the capital city share the same body structure.  A BBC documentary on the area called "The Hottest Place on Earth" looked into this, the thinner body is more efficient at shedding heat.  The Afari's can also get by on much, much less water than we can, and their bodies run much cooler in the heat.

Daily mean temperature during my visit to camp was 37.X C, a low of 32C and a high of 46C, August should be into the mid 50's.  This is the first proper weather station in the area since the 60's.  At that point the area had the highest daily mean temperature on earth for ~10 years (34.X C).

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2011, 11:41:39 am »
"Progress?"

A new cell tower scarring the landscape.  The cell phone is king in Africa.  Likely the govt's reaction to the influx of mining/exploration companies to the area.  It was inevitable either way, but likely got fast tracked.  Seldom a clear day as you can see, this was one of the clearer days.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »
Processed one of the photos from above, looks much more like it did in person now.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:57 am »
Damnit, volcano erupted Sunday in Eritrea.  The Eritrean border is to the north, and east of where I was.  Same volcanic chain as the one I camped on, but further to the east.

Offline saar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2010 WRB STI
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2011, 02:34:09 pm »
Been lurking on this thread for a while now now, living vicariously through you.

Thank you for posting this, it's amazing.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2011, 02:45:24 pm »
Thanks, it's a hard life at times, but I'm thankful I get to see areas that a lot of people, including myself would never see.  I really should work at taking better photos, or at least deleting the junk, I've become much to apathetic/complacent and don't take the time to compose shots and shoot them well.  I'll likely be back in Ethiopia again, and possibly Burkina Faso this fall.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2011, 11:51:38 am »
Okay, in the past little while:

mudferret, would you like to go to Burkina Faso?  Yes, yes I would. - now on back burner.

mudferret, would you like to go to the Ivory Coast?  Yes, yes I would. - wishful thinking on my boss's part I think.

mudferret, would you like to go to Australia?  Yes, tell Australia to lock its doors. - this will likely be a go, we've got 2 people over there right now and the client requested me.  Will be a 6 week on, 2 off rotation, or something similar. 

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • I'm not negative, I'm realistic!
  • Ride: 2016 CWP STi
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »
Australia would be nice no??

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2011, 07:35:03 am »
Should be, and I'll be working with a few people that I really enjoy working with as well. 

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:20 am »
Haven't traveled in a bloody year and a half, I hate being office bound.  So I was pretty stoked when my boss just asked me if I want to go to Eritrea.  Essentially just over the border from where I was in Ethiopia, 50 to 100 km away if I had to guess.

Offline basrah

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 STi
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »
If you get a chance to go to Burkina Faso or Ivory Coast, or anywhere in West Africa, I highly suggest it! I did a trip to Senegal and Sierra Leone this time last year and it was amazing. The beaches were the best out of anywhere I have ever been, and there is so much to see and do while there. If you somehow end up in Sierra Leone let me know. I have a huge stack of their money left over and it is useless anywhere except there.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:36 pm »
If you somehow end up in Sierra Leone let me know. I have a huge stack of their money left over and it is useless anywhere except there.

lol... this almost sounds like a Nigerian prince scam in reverse! "Help me move my inheritance of leone from Canada safely to Sierra Leone and be handsomely rewarded!" :)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2012, 04:44:47 am »
If you get a chance to go to Burkina Faso or Ivory Coast, or anywhere in West Africa, I highly suggest it! I did a trip to Senegal and Sierra Leone this time last year and it was amazing. The beaches were the best out of anywhere I have ever been, and there is so much to see and do while there. If you somehow end up in Sierra Leone let me know. I have a huge stack of their money left over and it is useless anywhere except there.

Someday hopefully.  APU I haven't been updated on Eritrea lately  >:(

Working in the office is killing adventurous Rob.