Author Topic: Aluminium Skidplate 2005 Impreza How-To DIY  (Read 4024 times)

Offline tanner07

• Stubbly Faced
    • TJW Photography
  • Ride: 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
Aluminium Skidplate 2005 Impreza How-To DIY
« on: December 30, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »
Hey everyone,

I searched around for a good skidplate how to, and the best bit of info I could find was this diagram (which I put to good use):

This skidplate is a radically different shape than the stock dust cover and it does a great job of protecting crucial parts and has an awesome fitting as well. Kudos to whoever created our diagram.

First, I mocked up a cardboard template with these dimensions to test for fitment. I bolted the cardboard sheet under my car and marked the location of all 5 bolt holes. I had accidentally held the cardboard up slighlty crooked and so my bolt holes were at first crooked as well, but the overall fitment was great so I moved onto the next step.

I marked out the same diagram onto a sheet of 1/8" aluminium and then traced the approximiate locations of bolt holes from my cardboard template. Using these hole marks as a rough guide, I then refined their location by using a tape measure to ensure that everything was straight and in line making sure my skidplate would bolt up straight.

The next step was to cut out my aluminium skidplate. I'm lucky enough to have access to a plasma cutter (which worked awesome), but you can use whatever you have available to you. I then bevelled the edges with an angle grinder and touched up any sharp bits etc. etc. The details are up to you.

Finally, I used a hydraulic press and some bits of angle-iron to bend my front and back edges. All that was left was to drill the bolt holes; I used the largest drill bit I had on hand to allow for maximum wiggle room when bolting the skidplate into its new home. I used a 1/2" bit and rounded the holes out further by rotating my drill on an angle to allow for the largest possible hole size.

I fixed the skidplate under my car and everything looks great. I would recommend this to anybody considering an expensive after-market skidplate if you have access to basic tools and machinery. The entire process took about 2+ hours and because I was able to score my aluminium for free, my total cost was $0.00.

As an aside, I priced out aluminium for this project and it was something like $150 for the square footage I needed. Not much of a bargain compared to $200 for a pre-fabricated skidplate. But, if you can find some cheap scrap aluminium like I did, go for it. It was a breeze.

Pictures:

Lining up the cardboard template

Cutting out the actual plate (bagged lunch pictured)

Skidplate things are coming together

Bent edges, drilled holes

Ready for install

Installed & Fitment

Feel free to cut out whatever oil change or speed holes you think are necessary. Enjoy!

PS: 1 plastic WRX under carriage dust cover for sale. Nearly-good condition. $50.00
Call me Tanner.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Aluminium Skidplate 2005 Impreza How-To DIY
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »
Kick assay man!  Simply awesome.

It's no random road sign, but it's pretty cool.  ;)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:34:38 pm »
Added to the index.
Thanks.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »
When you said "plasma cutter" I immediately thought of a water bed. Is that a hand held unit? I've never seen one before.

Offline tanner07

• Stubbly Faced
    • TJW Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »
I had never used one before this but it was incredibly easy and effective.

It's a box which requires compressed air and electricity to run, and there is a gun shaped handle at the end of a cable which comes from the main box. You flick it on and pull the handle's trigger and it cuts metal with what is basically pressurized & electrified gas. Or light. Or laser beams. I'm not 100% sure but the cut was very clean and it took less than 5 minutes to cut out the entire sheet once I had it going.

You can see the gun laying on the aluminium sheet in the second picture.
Call me Tanner.

Offline Dutchy

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Camaro SS 1le
Aluminium Skidplate 2005 Impreza How-To DIY
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:17 am »
I had never used one before this but it was incredibly easy and effective.

It's a box which requires compressed air and electricity to run, and there is a gun shaped handle at the end of a cable which comes from the main box. You flick it on and pull the handle's trigger and it cuts metal with what is basically pressurized & electrified gas. Or light. Or laser beams. I'm not 100% sure but the cut was very clean and it took less than 5 minutes to cut out the entire sheet once I had it going.

You can see the gun laying on the aluminium sheet in the second picture.

Plasma cutters are an electric version of a oxy cutting torch. The air from the compressor just cleans out the slag that the electric arc creates when super heating the chunk of metal. They are pretty sweet machines that are really compact.

Offline Habby

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Subaru WRX
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:15:44 am »
this should work for a 2007 wrx too correct?

Offline tanner07

• Stubbly Faced
    • TJW Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »
Based on the following link, I would think so:

http://www.fastwrx.com/raarskpl.html

We see here that the skidplate offered for the 2005 is the same as the skidplate offered for 2007.

Additionally, here is a picture of a 2007 Impreza with what appears to be a skidplate identical to the one I made for my '05.

There could be subtle differences however, but overall I would think it's a safe bet.
Call me Tanner.

Offline Habby

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:34:44 pm »
Thanks Tanner!

Offline im2fst4u

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 04 Impreza WRX STI
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:54:45 am »
What size of nut and washer did you use? And would a bolt go right in?

Offline tanner07

• Stubbly Faced
    • TJW Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:59:42 pm »
This design uses the 5 bolts that already hold the OEM plastic cover in place, so you should use your existing bolts or go to a good hardware store and have somebody match an old bolt of yours to a new one and replace all 5 with newer, stronger bolts of the same diameter, length and thread pitch. The washer size you select is generally proportional to your bolt and isn't crucial. I used a wider washer than normal because otherwise the bolt heads would pass through the oversized holes on my skidplate. I am not sure what size my washers are, I just had them lying around.
Call me Tanner.

Offline Habby

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 01:42:15 am »
Im getting this welded up soon. Hopefully she will look good!You sure cant go wrong with a free skidplate. ;)

Offline stuffedx21

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:48:01 am »
Hey just curious as I'm looking to make a Skid Plate for my 99GF8 this weekend, what type of metal thickness and where did purchase the metal? I was thinking something like a Street sign or diamond plate. Also would a hand held grinder be alright for cutting the metal?

Offline syche

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 Impreza 2.5i
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 04:56:17 pm »
This is awesome... Now if only I had access to some decent tools I would do this...

Or I would buy one :) ... Yah might do that
Do you wanna build a RACECAR!!!!!!!