Author Topic: Going to Vancover island looking for good driving roads  (Read 1804 times)

Offline BradM

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Outback
Going to Vancover island looking for good driving roads
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:52:42 am »
I'm taking the g/f to Victoria and would like to rent some motorcycle's and go for a cruise(start and end in Vic).  I'm only there for the weekend so a half day trip would be nice.

Oh and if there is something SMALL that someone wants me to take back pm me. I am going on the 3rd(Oct).

Thanks

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: Going to Vancover island looking for good driving roads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 07:48:37 am »
The road from Nanaimo to the intersection to Tofino/Ucluelot is twisty and fun.

I had a FWD rental that sucked.. understeer all over. 
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:18:38 am »
that is a great drive, but from vic it's more like a full day by the time you go to long beach and everything. try zaider he knows the area well.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Sideoiler

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:16:39 am »
Try the scenic ocean drive from Qualicum Beach up to Campbell River.  It follows the waterline on the east side of the island.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:04:02 am »
you MUST drive the Fraser Canyon instead of the toll highway.

It will be the best drive of your life and will make the Island roads feel like freeways.  That said, from Victoria take the GF out to Botanical Bay and stop at Point No Point for lunch on the way back. 
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 11:18:45 am »
Try the scenic ocean drive from Qualicum Beach up to Campbell River.  It follows the waterline on the east side of the island.

Yep, that road is scenic and twisty.

Generally, if you want to break land speed records, stay on the inland autobahn, it's new and smooth. If you want fun, scenic twisty roads, take the old shore highway.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 11:38:51 am »
yeah the new hioghway sure made things a lot faster, but a lot less interesting. it was good when i was in school in nanaimo and my family was still in sayward. an almost 4 hour drive got knocked down to 2.5 with the new highway.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:10:29 pm »
starting from Victoria, go up the west coast of the island for a few hours. Go through Sooke and head up to Port Renfrew.

its a good half-day trip. the roads are nice and twisty and there are places to stop in Jordan River for Lunch. Should take about 4 hours at least round trip. The roads are fairly good and i see a lot of bikes out that way. Dont take it too hard on some of the outside corners though cause you might find a bit of gravel.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Victoria,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Port+Renfrew,+BC&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=48.400488,-124.033928&sspn=0.334614,0.892639&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline icenemesis

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
    • Black Atlas Creative
  • Ride: '04 WRB STi
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 07:26:38 am »
you MUST drive the Fraser Canyon instead of the toll highway.

It will be the best drive of your life and will make the Island roads feel like freeways.  That said, from Victoria take the GF out to Botanical Bay and stop at Point No Point for lunch on the way back. 

Beat me to it.
Brandon Mack
Black Atlas Creative
blackatlascreative.com
www.twitter.com/blackatlas
www.instagram.com/blackatlascreative