Author Topic: which camshaft for sohc  (Read 1366 times)

Offline MGM

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 99 fozzie, 5mt
which camshaft for sohc
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:22:32 am »
hi there...first post on here...great site

I drive a 99 foz, 5mt, 2.5NA...so far:

underdriven pulley, cosmo,
tsudo uels and hfc
crawford srs-19
CAI, homemade
grimmspeed intake spacers, 8mm,

next step is camshafts, but which one, i want to keep low end grunt...if i go with the 1000's do i need to change the springs?
anyone have used cams and springs around for sale?

thanks

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
Re: which camshaft for sohc
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »
You should talk to these guys.

http://www.deltacam.com/index.php

I have what they called "stage 2 semi aggressive grind" in my 'breathed on" sohc NA. With these cams it has a slightly 'lumpy' idle, and pulls hard right from the bottom, despite having a light flywheel, and light crankpully.

I would contact them and discuss your plans/wants/needs/desires... and they will whip up some camshaft voodoo.

best o luck...

Offline flyboynextdoor

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Impreza RS coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:12 pm »
I think he was referring to Delta 1000s. If you wanna support a fellow Canuck then look up Techworks engineering. They make some amazing stuff for NA subys, cams included. They are a little pricey though. But delta also re-grind cams for NA subys and the different flavors are the 1000,1500, and 2000 grinds. The 1000 being the street cam and the 2000 being the "race" cam. The 2000s are known to produce a lumpy idle and are best with a re-flash which you already have. Springs are not "required" but if you want to rev the hell out of it and get the most from the big cam top end you will want to upgrade. I have read the 05 up 2.5i (Ej253) springs are a direct bolt on upgrade with just a tad higher stiffness to handle the extra revs. But if you just want to street the Thing and you can resist bringing it to redline every shift I think stock springs will be fine.

Offline flyboynextdoor

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Impreza RS coupe
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:31:03 pm »
I just sent my cams out for the 1500 grind while I'm doing my rebuild. Can't wait to give them a go.