Author Topic: 2010 Audi S4  (Read 34341 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
2010 Audi S4
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:39 am »
So yesterday, I picked up my 2010 Audi S4 and I figure that I'll use this thread to explain my first impressions and then update as I drive it more.

Wow. That's all I can really say when comparing the S4 to the Subaru. I picked up the car last night from the dealership and put about 60km on it before heading home and then taking my wife out for another short cruise. She loves it by the way.

It is better in all but 2 ways:
1) Steering feedback when you lose traction.
The steering on the S4 is electronic so you dont get that immediate feedback that you've lost grip. Last night, it was snowing a fair bit and I used that opportunity to test how the car went around corners. I've got to say that the electronic nanny really keeps things in check, but there's a nice button on the dash that turns most of the ESP off. If you want it off completely, there's a procedure outlined in the manual. Seeing as how i'd had the car for only a couple of hours, I didn't mess with the ESP settings as it would suck to crash it that fast.
- Power. Its obviously slower... but I could count on one hand the number of times I went WOT in the Subaru in the last couple of months. The S4 is plenty fast enough and more linear. There's no turbo lag, but also no head-snapping back moment when boost kicks in. The B8 S4's are supercharged V6's so the power delivery is totally different.

Here's a dyno chart of a stock S4. Sort of disbelieve the numbers but the shape of the torque curve is quite nice.

Everything else is amazing.

The ride is so much better than the Subaru. I don't have Audi Drive Select, the adjustable suspension, but I do have the Audi Sport Diff which allows me to adjust the rear differential, the steering and the throttle. Adjusting the rear diff is definitely noticeable and has been called the piece de resistance of the B8 S4. Steering feel is definitely tighter on dynamic but on a road trip, I think I'll be glad for the comfort setting. The throttle adjustment is there as well, but especially in winter, I dont see the need for the dynamic setting to be on. If I want 100% of my power, I'll floor it and get 100% of the throttle. While you can choose between comfort, auto and dynamic, there is also an individual setting where you can setup your own personal preference for each.

The seats are nicer and the interior is not even in the same league. Everything just works really well together and the interior is so quiet when you're cruising, its possible to have the music on low volume, still have a conversation in a normal voice and not have to worry about the volume of your exhaust. While I might end up missing a bit of the exhaust rumble of the Subaru, I think that I'll be happier 99% of the time.

The little convenience features like Advanced Key are completely unnecessary but really nice to have. With Advanced Key, you just have a key fob, no key, and it stays in your pocket the entire time. When you come within 1.5m of the car, the car knows the key is there, and with a touch of the door handle, the car is unlocked. Get in, keep the fob in your pocket, and press the start button. When you're done, foot on the brake and press the start button again, the engine shuts off. Get out of the car and touch the door handle again and the car locks itself and sets the alarm. If you forget to do this, the car locks itself after 60 seconds (can be switched off).

The way the multimedia system/nav works is really nice and the upgraded sound system is amazing. Your ipod goes into a little pocket in the glove compartment and you can go through your playlists on the main Nav screen or on the little info screen between the Speedo and Tach using the buttons on your steering wheel. Navigation can be voice activated, but I haven't played with that yet. From my brief use of the Nav system last night, I found it a bit cumbersome to enter in a destination with the scroll wheel when I was used to the touch screen of my aftermarket deck, but hopefully using Voice Command will alleviate that issue. There are two SD card slots on which you can store music, as well as a 10GB internal hard drive that you can use for music storage as well. You use the SD cards to transfer music to the car.

I was surprised when backing out of a spot yesterday when the Nav screen turned into a backup camera. I didn't know mine came with that option. Not only that, but its got guidance lines that curve as you turn to show you where the vehicle is going to go. The Audi is definitely bigger than the Subaru so its not an unwelcome addition. Its got backup sensors as well so that's nice when backing up into my garage.

Its got the blind spot warning system which lights up an LED on the sideview mirror when someone is in your blind spot or approaching it at a much different speed. I was just getting used to that, when I tried to merge onto Deerfoot in heavy/slow traffic and it thought the person behind was too close. The LED's flash brightly as soon as you signal your lane change.

Overall, as to be expected, I am extremely happy with the purchase. There are plenty of other options out there in this price range, but nothing really did it for me like the S4 did. I think that the S4 strikes the balance perfectly between an AWD, capable car in all weather conditions, fast enough to pass on the highway without the panic, and comfortable enough that we can take it on road trips. I love the look of the car and find that the added weight isn't all that noticeable. If I was planning to track it or autocross, then it would be a different story, but that's not what this car is for. If you want that, then the M3 is probably a better bet and you sacrifice the AWD capability.

I will update as I get more comfortable with the car and figure it out a bit more.
IB Western Audi Club
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Way_Gone

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2014 WRB STI Tsurugi
Re: 2010 Audi S4 - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:12 am »
This is a really nice write up of your first impression from a car that while is similar, is so very very different.

I'll definitely keep my eyes on this as I am another face in the long line of people that seem to go from Subaru to Audi...

Looking forward to reading more.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:10:55 am »
Nice initial review Zaider. I look forward to your up coming posts on the car as I've been looking at the Audi A4/S4 as my next car in a couple of years. I just hope that they bring the S4 Avant over.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:13 am »
Very nice write up.

I just hope that they bring the S4 Avant over.
^^^THIS.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »
Yeah, I briefly checked into the S4 Avants in the US, but they're more expensive and I couldn't find anything with all the options i wanted.

Audi definitely feels like the next step from a Subaru once you feel you've outgrown what the Subaru offers.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline dnizzle

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 16' M3
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:55 pm »
How's the gas mileage on it?  Please update with maintenance costs as u come across them!

Sent from my android

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:12 pm »
Audi definitely feels like the next step from a Subaru once you feel you've outgrown what the Subaru offers.

I'd agree, as long as your complaints about Subaru are centered around interior & ride quality (and possibly perceived status).  And as long as your requirements still include AWD and "once were a powerhouse in World Rally Championships"...    :'(

Offline Brasco

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 13 STi
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »
I had the same sort of impressions as well from the S4 in comparison to Subaru's.  Although my B7 S4 is totally different from your B8 S4, you still get the wow factor when it comes to interior.  I'd say the best interior of 3 german brands, bmw, benz and audi.  I loved the refinement of the S4 just felt a little detached when driving especially with that steering system they have.  It was suppose to get stiffer as the speed increased but it was barely noticeable. Which is why I went back to Subaru and got an STi, also because of maintenance costs lol.

If I had to get another sedan but with more creature comforts it would definitely be the S4 over any other.  I love that flat bottom steering wheel they have in the 2013's.

What color did you get?  I might've missed that while reading.

Offline yellow sub

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 03 WRX SPEC R1 #32
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:24 pm »
This thread is useless without pictures  :haplo90:

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »

He posted pics in his old Project thread

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:31:49 pm »
How's the gas mileage on it?  Please update with maintenance costs as u come across them!

Sent from my android

I'll keep track of my mileage and report back.

People seem to average between 10 and 12 L/100km on fuelly.

I'd agree, as long as your complaints about Subaru are centered around interior & ride quality (and possibly perceived status).  And as long as your requirements still include AWD and "once were a powerhouse in World Rally Championships"...    :'(

My complaints around Subaru were definitely centered around those two things. The rattles, the bone-jarring bumps, the noise.. the positive parts of the Subaru just stopped outweighing the negatives. I don't think perceived status comes into it that much. I enjoyed the looks I got in the Subaru and the thumbs up, etc, but with the S4, I am hoping to fly a little more under the radar.

I had the same sort of impressions as well from the S4 in comparison to Subaru's.  Although my B7 S4 is totally different from your B8 S4, you still get the wow factor when it comes to interior.  I'd say the best interior of 3 german brands, bmw, benz and audi.  I loved the refinement of the S4 just felt a little detached when driving especially with that steering system they have.  It was suppose to get stiffer as the speed increased but it was barely noticeable. Which is why I went back to Subaru and got an STi, also because of maintenance costs lol.

If I had to get another sedan but with more creature comforts it would definitely be the S4 over any other.  I love that flat bottom steering wheel they have in the 2013's.

What color did you get?  I might've missed that while reading.

The steering definitely feels disconnected on the Comfort mode, but on Dynamic, its definitely tighter, but maybe not as responsive as the Subaru. There's a brace called Alu Kreuz that is supposed to really help with the steering, but in my efforts to not modify the car at all, I am going to resist buying it :)

The car is Meteor Grey Pearl.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:32:46 pm »

He posted pics in his old Project thread

Grant is correct. By the time I left the dealership yesterday, it was dark. I'll try to take some pictures this weekend.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »
After seeing it in person, it looks good, and I want to sell my car so I can buy one.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 01:14:41 pm »
If you or Xrayvsn could be looking to sell in 2-5 years, that would be great.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline yellow sub

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:18:20 pm »
Congrats on the new ride. Any mods Planed yet?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:57 pm »
Congrats on the new ride. Any mods Planed yet?

Lol. I am specifically planning on no mods. Its gonna get a set of summer rims and that's it.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:48 pm »
Ha you say that now but I'm betting you do that steering mod and an exhaust.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »
Ha you say that now but I'm betting you do that steering mod and an exhaust.

Everyone says it.

Im going to try to hold out as long as possible :)

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 01:37:16 pm »
Just to tempt you.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 01:49:01 pm »
Hahaha.

Stop it.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 02:00:10 pm »
Or get a custom titanium exhaust made by Unobtainium.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:59 pm »
Nice write-up! My car isn't as baller, but has the sport diff.

Why not use my dyno graph using local gas, and on Airboy's dyno?  While you may not feel like it is as fast as the Subie, I think a lot of that sensation has to do with the power delivery.

I have the AWE exhaust, and I like it.  The tips seem to get surface rust in the winter, but they are easy enough to buff up/replace.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 06:48:24 pm »
Awesome. Thanks for the dyno graph! Its definitely a power-delivery thing more than anything else.

I think I originally set out to get something with all the bells and whistles but then through conversations (with you and others), I adjusted my expectations and the sport diff, manual transmission, and exterior/interior colours became the must-haves. This one popped up at exactly the right time and in the right place.

I would love to hear your AWE exhaust sometime. How's the in-car noise with it on the highway? To be honest, that's one of the aspects that I am happiest about with the S4, the ability to have the music on, go for a cruise, and not have to shout to have a conversation. Also, what do you have your Individual Drive Select Setting set to? Im trying to figure out what I want from it.

Here's some iPhone pics I snapped tonight as I was messing with the Voice Command stuff and all the setup features in the car.

Audi S4 by zcherniawsky, on Flickr

Offline yellow sub

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »
That exhaust sounds really good.

Offline TQuon

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 07:11:27 pm »
I personally really like the new Audi designs as well. I would like to know how this goes though further down the road regarding cost of maintanence.