Author Topic: 2010 Audi S4  (Read 34327 times)

Offline snakeman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
Re: 2010 Audi S4
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2015, 12:23:38 pm »
Nobody want's to pay for repairs/maintenance on a high performance, out of warranty Audi.

Tell me about it, they want over $800 to fix the seat heater in that thing. My mom was like "yeah, maybe I'll just put a towel on the seat".

Not to mention that their designs are so cutting edge and frequently updated that the older cars can look dated pretty fast.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2015, 01:10:30 pm »
I know I'm bringing this back from the dead, but I figured I'd post here rather than starting a new topic.

I recently drove an S4 again and I think it may have been a big mistake. I can't stop thinking about that car. The powerband felt great and the car handled very well. I want one now :'(

I was leaning towards an S4 for the longest time, but after driving it for a month or so I realized it wasn't for me. There's something special about WRX's and STi's that can't be replaced. I don't think you made a mistake and the rex is a slick ride in every way. Either way, at least the resale value will be better than the S4 so I think you're doing it in the right order lol.

Any updates on your WRX? Who did you buy from?
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2015, 01:12:11 pm »
The depreciation on these things makes me sad. I watched my parent's S4 sit in the garage for years and despite this it's still worth less than an STi of the same year with like double the mileage ::)

I would seriously consider the S4 you listed, but my 2 major concerns:
1) Not a fan of the lines on that one (outdated or otherwise, I just don't like that bodystyle).
2) Timing chain pulley/tensioner issues.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2015, 02:17:18 pm »
I was leaning towards an S4 for the longest time, but after driving it for a month or so I realized it wasn't for me. There's something special about WRX's and STi's that can't be replaced. I don't think you made a mistake and the rex is a slick ride in every way. Either way, at least the resale value will be better than the S4 so I think you're doing it in the right order lol.

Its definitely a "to each their own" sort of thing. I really like the S4 out of the box. I don't feel like it needs much, whereas Subarus always feel like you need to improve on certain areas. The comfort factor was also important to me and the S4 has interior feel, fit and finish that is leaps and bounds ahead of Subaru (you obviously pay more for it). I also appreciate the exterior styling a lot more on the Audi than what Subaru offers. It all comes down to what you're after...

As for resale, there's a couple of nice and cheap S4's on Autotrader right now... 2010's going for $28-29k... if you can do without the bells and whistles (Nav, sport diff, keyless start) etc. The S4's that have those options are more. My estimate is that in the 2 years that i've owned the S4, its dropped about $9k in value from what i bought it at. When warranty is up, that's gonna drop like a rock.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline snakeman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2015, 03:35:09 pm »
I would seriously consider the S4 you listed, but my 2 major concerns:
1) Not a fan of the lines on that one (outdated or otherwise, I just don't like that bodystyle).
2) Timing chain pulley/tensioner issues.

Yeah I was thinking of picking it up cheap this summer and selling my WRX, but:
1) I just think it looks dated. I'm so used to the bigmouth Audi grille now, the smaller grille just looks tiny and inadequate (although I remember when the bigmouth grille debuted, people were all ZOMG what is this behemoth?!)
2) This made me nervous, but it's hard to tell how much is sensationalized e-hype and how many cars are actually affected. Still, that uncertainty would've always been there and I didn't want that. I also knew I didn't have the patience to deal with the little things that pop up on cars like this.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '22 Venza | '03 S2K
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2015, 09:08:12 pm »

Any updates on your WRX? Who did you buy from?

Yeah, that's one of the things that keeps pulling me back to Subaru over a lot of the brands out there. The resale value. Plus, Subaru will always hold a special place with me.

Regarding the S4, interior quality, the ride and the powerband obviously feel better in comparison to a lot of other vehicles out there. However, I usually buy my vehicles with the intent of keeping them for longer, and I'm really not sure how the S4 will hold up once it's out of warranty and at higher mileage. I haven't read about too many people experiencing problems with the motor. Most issues seem to revolve around the electronics on the car, and as others have mentioned in this thread, they can be expensive to fix.

As for the WRX, it should be showing up the first week of March. Bought it through Subaru City.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2015, 10:30:00 am »
holy itshay 9k in two years?  had i just kept my sti stock it would have dropped maybe 5k in 4 years. 

but i dumped a shitload of money into it.........

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2015, 12:34:17 pm »
Ugh. I sent an email to a company called Enlaes. They do the front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser on this (B8.5 pictured)...

Im so weak...
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2015, 12:56:28 pm »
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2015, 01:58:57 pm »
Ugh. I sent an email to a company called Enlaes. They do the front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser on this (B8.5 pictured)...

Im so weak...

So what's it look like on a car that is actually driveable?
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2015, 02:23:29 pm »
So what's it look like on a car that is actually driveable?

Dunno. Can't find one.

:D

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
This one isn't a good thing.

I found out today that the dealership wants to charge me $450 for a new battery. I had it in for the 100,000km service and they said that the battery tripped some codes when they ran the system tests. I thought: "fine. ok. german car... expensive battery... but shouldn't be outrageous right?" Nope. Not only is the battery expensive, but they need to let the power management system know whats going on and tell it that there is a new battery in the car. For that privilege, they want $450 (including battery).

According to my googling, you can do it yourself through VCDS but you need to enter the serial number of the battery and the manufacturer so that the power management system knows what to expect. The fact that Audi wants to charge an extra $200 (quoted battery at over $200) for this is ridiculous.

The service rep tried to tell me that they were the only ones in the city who could do it so thats why they charge so much. First specialty VW shop (Tunedub) I called said they could do it and charge less than half that.

Another interesting piece of information is that, according to the Service Rep, when the power management system starts to realize that the battery is going, it acts funny and starts withdrawing power for various functions. The first of those is usually the lock function of the smart key. I have had this for a while now... the car wont lock when i touch the drivers door. I generally have to use the back door to lock it or, heaven forbid, reach into my pocket for the key. He said that if it gets bad enough, it'll start withdrawing power from things like the radio, dash and nav. It does this in an effort to retain enough charge to start the car.

I had enabled the battery monitor through VCDS a while back with a borrowed cable, but for some reason, when I had the car in for its previous service, they did something that overwrote that and disabled it again (along with my TPMS). Ill have to re-enable it next time I get my hands on the cable.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2015, 10:08:41 am »
German car problems.

I think some newer BMWs do the same thing.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2015, 10:11:07 am »
I broke down and bought the cable if you want to borrow it.  Also, if your car is going off warranty, why not just have Tunedub swap out the battery and reprogram.

(Oh, and APR stage 2+ now) - not worth the money at our altitude.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:46 am »
I broke down and bought the cable if you want to borrow it.  Also, if your car is going off warranty, why not just have Tunedub swap out the battery and reprogram.

(Oh, and APR stage 2+ now) - not worth the money at our altitude.

Tunedub said that I keep the warranty but I'll double-check. My warranty remains for almost another 1.5 years and another 60k, so I've still got time left.

Really? Not worth it? That's disappointing. Have you dyno'd? I've heard varying things about APR recently. I think I'd go with Unitronic who've just released their tunes. Here's one person's opinion coming from APR Stage 2+
OMG... I never thought it would be like this...

As you guys know I was tuned to Unitronic STG2+ @ Foreign Automotive yesterday, and wasn't even able to try out the car in dynamic due to the weather.

I was finally able to go full throttle for a 24KM spirited circuit, aka the 407. Coming from APR STG 2+, I knew what was coming. How different could this be.

Jesus Christ.. The car feels like it just woke up.. It is VERY, NOTICEABLY, DIFFERENT... When your car is in dynamic, and the first gear shifts, you almost feel as if the steering is TAKING off from you, as you are thrown back into your seat.

The car would hit 2300-2400 RPM, and then took off like a BAT OUTTA HELL.... The first time this happened, i was NOT ready for it, and

I've never felt my car pull this hard, this is one sweetheart tune. I'm coming from STAGE 2+ APR, and it feels SO DIFFERENT. I didn't honestly think it was going to... It felt so different that I had to book a dyno for next week, and I think I am going to order a P3 to see what the 0-60 is...

This is even WITHOUT a DSG tune. BTW John, just a visual check, but I think the REV's are slightly going past 6300, I'm going to take the GOPRO to it, and confirm.

I am happy I made the switch. VERY happy. I can't WAIT to see what you guys do with the DSG.

The quote I got from Tunedub to go Stage 2 with Unitronic was $1940 including install of the pulley. I asked about before/after dyno runs, but they didn't respond. I am not sure if they have an AWD Dyno, but I'll ask about it when Im there on tuesday.

Another one of the things that's been annoying me with the car is its lack of bluetooth audio. Only the 2013+ S4's have that. For a luxury car, they dropped the ball big time on that.

I bought a ViseeO Tune2Air which plugs into the ipod cable in the glove compartment and gives me bluetooth audio. If using an apple product, you still get track name etc on the Audi MMI system, but since I have android, I don't. There are slightly cheaper options (this one was $90) but with those, you lose next track/previous track control as well, and I get to keep that and the steering wheel controls.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2015, 11:24:00 am »
I don't think any tune/pulley combo is worth it at our altitude.  You are better off keeping it stock and making sure you always have 94 octane in the tank.  The cars love the high octane.  15 hp/tq difference between 91 and 94.

I was waiting to repeat the dyno after the install, but I am having a boost bleed off issue at 5200 rpm (even after the tune).  I am not sure if its the solenoid  that's leaking or not, but it dumps boost to 7 psi regardless of what the tune is calling for.  Duty cycle of the bypass valve is still at 100% based on my logs.

Offline GTRAuto

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2015, 11:38:05 am »
I think I would go with Revo

You can also get a nice intake and listen to that nice whine!
info@gtrauto.ca
www.gtrauto.ca

COBB, Motul, RedLine, KW, SONAX, Invidia

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2015, 12:06:16 pm »
I don't think any tune/pulley combo is worth it at our altitude.  You are better off keeping it stock and making sure you always have 94 octane in the tank.  The cars love the high octane.  15 hp/tq difference between 91 and 94.

Really? Interesting...

Not that i feel the car needs the extra power. Its incredibly rare that I push the pedal to the floor...

I think I would go with Revo

You can also get a nice intake and listen to that nice whine!

Revo's also had some reliability issues that've come out according to the Audizine forums.

Thought about an intake, but I think i'd get an exhaust before intake.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2015, 12:22:59 pm »
I saw Sunny in September and did a few pulls with Shell 91, (almost empty tank).  Then we filled it with Husky 94 while the car was still strapped to the Dyno and repeated, still on the stock tune.  Instantaneous +15 whp/tq all the way across the board.  AFR dropped, and timing advanced with the 94.

Logs and Dyno pulls I have seen on Sunny's dyno with local stage 2 APR/GIAC cars basically make the same power as mine stock.  The boost may be better, but they run rich and timing is less so there is very negligible difference in power even on 94 oct.  Mine with 94 Oct stock makes the same as 91 Oct Stage 2 (more or less), the only difference is at the last 500 rpm or so but everywhere else, my car makes more tq.  To me, that isn't worth $2000+.

Honestly, guys will tell you how good the tune/pulley is to justify that their $2000+ was well spent.  At our altitude and with our gas, it is better to keep it stock.  No tune will fix the altitude, because all of them will run rich and pull timing, which negates the additional boost of having a pulley.  I wouldn't put too much stock on Audizine, because most of the guys there are at lower altitude or have access to better fuel.

Unless the tune can be tweaked to optimize fuel and timing, you aren't going to get anywhere near the gains you read about on Audizine.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »
Good points all around. For me, I just like to dream about it. I dont even have an aftermarket exhaust... I like the car stock and with warranty.

It would be interesting to see the comparison between 91 and 94 on Sunny's dyno. Might convince me to forgo my Shell 91 and start filling up at Petro Canada or Husky again.

In other news, I had the Audi Q3 for a loaner yesterday. Didn't like it. Felt slow and looking at the trunk, there's not nearly enough extra space to justify losing the power if i crossed over to that platform. Transmission didn't shift when I wanted it to (even in manu-matic mode). Seats weren't nearly as nice as mine either.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2015, 12:48:57 pm »

It would be interesting to see the comparison between 91 and 94 on Sunny's dyno. Might convince me to forgo my Shell 91 and start filling up at Petro Canada or Husky again.

I can ask Sunny for the graphs.  The severe boost bleed off at 5200 rpm showed up on all of the pulls, so I never bothered to ask for them/post them, since they weren't "pretty".  Even with the boost issue, peak power was the same as my baseline that I did  4 years ago.

Otherwise, I was planning on bringing the car in to Tunedub once the weather warms up a bit and have them look over the boost solenoid, maybe decarbon the engine too if that's where the power loss is coming from.  Then I would take it back to Sunny for some more pulls.  I can then do stock tune + pulley, 91 tune + pulley and 93 tune + pulley all at once.

Offline Mustard

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '07 STi LTD
« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2015, 02:35:01 pm »
The depreciation on these things makes me sad. I watched my parent's S4 sit in the garage for years and despite this it's still worth less than an STi of the same year with like double the mileage ::)

Are they looking to sell.... :)
- Mustard

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2015, 05:42:45 pm »
Are the looking to sell.... :)

Check the marketplace. It sold about 2 weeks ago.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #248 on: October 16, 2015, 12:30:32 pm »
Well. It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but given the recent expenditures on the car, I thought I'd keep this up to date.

I still really enjoy driving the S4. I don't think it needs any more power than what it has as I rarely end up flooring it so I'll probably keep it on stock ECU.

I had the clutch and flywheel replaced by Concept-1 a couple weeks ago. The clutch was pretty shot and, looking at all the clutch replacement threads that are popping up on Audizine, the theory is that there is a clutch delay valve in the clutch line that is there to make the shifts easier/smoother. In the end, this results in increased clutch wear and a lot of the B8's are requiring clutch replacement at about 100,000km. Pretty annoying. Pretty expensive. Not covered under warranty (maybe it will be in the future, but didn't help me).

After replacing the clutch, i've noticed some increased slack in the driveline that I am now looking to remedy. I will be ordering the 034 Motorsports transmission and differential inserts. Basically really easy installs that fill voids in the stock mounts. Reviews say there's no increased NVH and the shifting is much crisper.

Im still debating a set of swaybars, endlinks and the drivetrain stabilizer. The weight of the car is pretty evident when you're doing quick lane changes or powering around a tight corner.

Offline Stealthbombing

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: BMW 135i M
« Reply #249 on: October 16, 2015, 12:38:27 pm »
Weird to know that Audi is using that stupid CDV valve like BMW, i cant stand it on my car i feel so disconnected from what im doing with my feet. I ordered a delete kit for it that should arrive this week, do they make them for the S4 as well ? the only thing is if you take it out it will void the warranty if something ever went wrong with the transmission.  From reading up on these they are supposedly meant to increase clutch life and make the driving experience more smooth.
*** PM Me for quotes on parts for wholesale price !!***
Stella -
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47765.msg579306#msg579306