Poll

Will you be attending the 2013 WSC Super Meet?

Words can not describe my excitment!
24 (24.2%)
Hells ya!
40 (40.4%)
Unsure yet.
16 (16.2%)
Unfortunately I was unable to make up an excuse to get the day off from work.
11 (11.1%)
No, I rather do normal people stuff...
8 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: WSC SUPER MEET Parkland Mall in Red Deer, Alberta on July 13, 2013  (Read 36444 times)

Offline Way_Gone

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2014 WRB STI Tsurugi
Re: Super Meet 2013?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »
I'd make the trip to Calgary. Not a big issue for me

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
I think Red Deer is better for a site wide meet but finding a suitable venue there may be a bit of a pain.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline GC8REX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • The little boxer that could
  • Ride: 1995 Impreza WRX, 1997 Forester S/TB
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
I'll drive wherever the scoobs are, you should try calling scott subaru though in case they want a part in it. Wouldn't be a bad idea trying red deer if they're willing to host.

Offline StickyTires

• beards comin in nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
  • Ride: 1997 WRX STi (Ver. 3), 1998 Forester s/tb
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
Sure ill give scott subaru a call tomorrow as well then and see if they are interested.  I do agree that red deer is the better,  location all things considered,  if there is someone willing to host.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
Alright so I called Vex to see when their meet was going to be and apparently they weren't actually planning to have one this year because they may be moving into a bigger shop at some point and it takes up a good amount of time. Basically, Ryan at Vex offered to host the event (like last year) if I organized it. I personally have no issue with this but I know everyone (myself included) kindof agreed on it being in Red Deer but the fact that they are willing to host makes things very easy for organization... let me know what you guys think. Honestly I think this is an awesome option.

Make it Red Deer. It's no fun if I don't get to cruise more than 30 minutes, and some Edmonton guys may not want to do 6 hours of driving in a day.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline StickyTires

• beards comin in nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 10:16:58 PM »
Make it Red Deer. It's no fun if I don't get to cruise more than 30 minutes, and some Edmonton guys may not want to do 6 hours of driving in a day.

I completely agree, LDS, I'll do my best to find a suitable location in red deer then. Will update tomorrow if i dont have something take up my lunch hour like yesterday. If scott subaru isnt interested, I'll see if they have any recommendations for other venues in Red Deer. I know very little about Red Deer so if anyone has any other Ideas about a venue, please speak up so I can call ASAP. I know it's not a huge rush but one thing I learned last year was: Stay ahead of schedule.

If all else fails, we do have Vex to fall back on.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
If VEX may be moving, having a meet there could be difficult, especially if they're not organizing it. Seems kind of silly to have a meet at VEX that isn't a VEX meet and where we could end up in the way, or at an empty shop.

Offline StickyTires

• beards comin in nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
If VEX may be moving, having a meet there could be difficult, especially if they're not organizing it. Seems kind of silly to have a meet at VEX that isn't a VEX meet and where we could end up in the way, or at an empty shop.

Obviously I would be coordinating with them to ensure that we dont get left high and dry. And i dont really find it silly at all to have it at vex. If they are willing to lend their parking lot then i dont see any problem. All we need is a place to park really lol. Either way,  thats our back up plan for the time being so lets argue about that when the time comes xD

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »
I just think if we're going to have it at a shop, it should be that shop's meet. If it's just for the parking lot, I think there are more convenient places where it can be held.

Offline StickyTires

• beards comin in nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
Like i said,  ill argue about it if vex or some other shop ends up being the option we go with. Theres just no point this early.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »
In Red Deer, there's that convention center lot that they've used for autocrosses in the past.

Offline REX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
In Red Deer, there's that convention center lot that they've used for autocrosses in the past.

how much planning/money would be required to maybe possibly run a small wsc autocross at said meet? just an idea...

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:27 PM »
A fair amount. It wouldn't be impossible but there would be issues of getting insurance and all that jazz.

Offline Jesse.Korpan

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Subaru STi
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
Agreed that will be hard to do but it would be possible. If you need any help planning let me know.    It would be worth a poll to see how much interest there would be in a autocross before the footwork is done for it.
Also your going to have to get supplies like pylons timing equipment marshells blah blah.
 It might be worth talking to courtney and geoff with the boxer battle crew to see what they could offer as advice as well as any ASA or CSCC memebers
Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty

Offline thetallone

• beards comin in nice
  • Bazinga!
    • Edmonton Subaru Club
  • Ride: SWP 2009 WRX 265 Sedan
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
I think we should keep a meet and an autocross as two different things. An autocross would half to be in a more contained area, where as just a plain old meet might encourage more people/public to come look if we find a well seen area.

Just throwing out some ideas for places in Red Deer.

Parkland mall might be an option if we talk to them. Last time I checked they have a large area of parking lot on the east side that isn't really used due to that part of the mall being unoccupied.
Possibly one of the high school parking lots but that  could be really iffy.

Ideally the best spot is the westerner.

Also if we have a good amount of people going we should try to advertise a little and get the public out to take a look. (this would probably involve coordinating with the police so no stunting or anything happens.)

Offline REX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 12:32:43 AM »
I think we should keep a meet and an autocross as two different things. An autocross would half to be in a more contained area, where as just a plain old meet might encourage more people/public to come look if we find a well seen area.

i suggested it because they mentioned autocross's at the location they were talking about, as well as it being a good opportunity for a calgary/edmonton/reddeer auto-x as they don't happen often. but again, it's just a suggestion i thought i'd throw out there

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »

That's Westerner. I think it's been mentioned earlier, and shot down because the lots closed off unless there's an event going on.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline StickyTires

• beards comin in nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »
Well heres sortof my vision for this years meet. 

Goal #1 is obvioisly try to get as many people to come as possible.  This will involve contacting newspapers and magazines as well as your typical facebook and forum advertising. Like i said before,  where ever it ends up being,  i will be notifying the police to ensure that we dont get bothered too much as i dont have any idea of how big the meet will be and of course let them know that we have someone volenteering to let us use their lot.

Basically what im hoping to get together after weve got a place locked down this year is:

- someone to run a bbq for burgs/hot dogs,  hoping to find out how much itll cost per burger and charge a buck or 2 more for charity (anything for charity helps with advertising,  turnout,  and peoples willingness to do it) plus its for a great cause

- photographers,  now this im sure will be covered by those who come with their own equipment so not too worried about that for this year.

- a 1 hour or so cruise after the meet (this could be a hay day depending on how many people show but itll probably get broken up anyway)

- ask semi local vendors such as beta cuts and stage 2 if they would be interested in setting up a table or running a little "shop" out of their car for their wsc merch. 

Was hoping to keep it relatively simple this year as its the first time im organzing it and there isnt much of an indicator for what the turn out would be.

Stuff i would love to add to future years are things like:

- prizes for cars in different catagories

- possibly auto cross cause that would be wicked.  Jesse,  thanks for the offer on helping with that. If youd like to try and get something sorted out for this year,  send me a text and we can try coordinate that into the plan,  obviously anyone who would like to take part will need to sign up in a regular autocross fashion including fees and all that good stuff.

- music/sound equipment

-magazines and special guest involvement (if it gets big enough)

And maybe even more depending on how we do for interest.

Like i said though,  I think simplicity is best to feel it out and add from there

Nothing im saying here is a promise but im going to do my best. 

Offline REX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
thanks for stepping up and organizing this. no matter where it is i'll make the trip out  :D

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »
From someone who's organized this sort of thing before, a couple of suggestions:

- If you're going to organize a cruise, make sure it is well organized, with a clear, well-defined route ahead of time. Avoid traffic lights as much as possible as thats how the cruise gets split up or people drive faster to catch up. On that note, make sure that everyone understands that you'll be driving AT the speed limit, not above and in single file, to not disturb traffic.
- BBQ's are great but you have to find a way to supply the actual BBQ and make sure you have people willing to man it, as that sort of thing takes a while.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Unoriginalusername

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2010 Subaru WRX STi
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »
I live here in red deer now and I am more then willin to assist with anything you need. I actually work with a girl who's parents own Scott Subaru, maybe they are willing to come out. I can check on that if you like.

I also know from previous thing I have done if we are doing something for charity it makes it much easier to get things like a large BBQ for doing dogs and burgs. I believe M and M meats will actually supply the meat for cheap and give you a BBQ to use if booked in advance, and I am more then willing to man it, of course with a couple people to help out.

I also think the best place to do something like this is the parking lot on the east side of parkland mall, it's large, no stores are too close by, and it has three entrances to it. It's also not too close to homes or anything where noise complaints may come from. So we wouldn't be bothering the public too much.

I like the idea of doing this for charity tho, actually say 5 bucks per car/WSC member, charge for the food, and have a contest of some sort where everyone votes for their fav car or something like that will little door prizes, or even just a little trophy, (also know a couple people on where to get cheap little trophies, just for fun). Maybe say let the public come for free, but they have to pay for food, drinks and what not but that all goes to charity as well.

Maybe we can pick 4 charities, make a poll here, then everyone gets a vote on which charity they would like to see. I usually find keeping it a loc charity helps a lot with local turnout.

If you want to contact me you can PM me and I can give you my number.

Offline StickyTires

• beards comin in nice
  • Version 3 Guinea Pig
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
Thanks a lot zaider for the input,  i will keep those things in mind for sure.

Unoriginalusername,  its always good to have someone who actually lives in the city its happening help out, thanks a lot,  ill send a pm. 

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »
You need to update your location. Pffft. Fort Mac.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
CSCC has all the stuff needed for an autocross (pylons, timing equipment) but it's a real hassle to setup an event, especially if you also have a car meet going on at the same time. Just a car meet would still be a lot of fun.

Offline Unoriginalusername

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2010 Subaru WRX STi
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
I think if we want to start to make this an annual thing, we should start with the basics, try doing it really well, rather then having all the bells an whistles and only doing it ok.

I really would like to assist with setting this all up, and if anyone is in red deer maybe having a get together to arrange ideas, creat roles, and set goals for ourselves.

I think having a auto cross would be a lot of fun. Red deer does have its own sports can club so maybe joining forces with them one day to acomeadate an auto cross could work, but I really think then we can limit ourselves to a all auto Subaru meet. Just my opinion tho of course.

I think we could do something good here, show what car clubs can be like, and show ourselves in a positive light, while supporting a good charity.