Author Topic: darthekai's OBS - mission accomplished, we got 'im  (Read 37978 times)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
Re: darthekai's slo-mo OBS build
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 08:09:15 am »
woop woop! got the computer PSU and case, my tacomas new transmission, a WRX 20mm RSB installed, and a TMIC from an 07 STI.  so many things to do, so little garage space and time to use it.

Will be out of the modding scene for a bit here while I rip apart my tacoma and replace all the broken itshay I find.

On a side note: i plan on modifying my turbo's (TD04) wastegate to trip at 8psi or so. Does anyone know a good place to get that spring? ALTERNATIVELY does anyone know of a different way of making my turbo only put out 8psi that maybe I can adjust super easily if I want to?
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 08:32:41 pm »
hoo-ray! taco's back up and running.

Engine bay's all polished up!

Now I just need to get the valve cover gaskets replaced, redo the dash lights, and replace the PCV...
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 12:12:30 am »
god dammit this car is already so fun to drive its hard to immobilize it in my garage to get stuff done. Got spacers installed, head gaskets done, heads polished (although they were SUPER clean to start with considering how many k's are on this thing), manifold cleaned, ported, and painted,  adapter for FPR ordered, injectors cleaned and resealed, bought a fuel pump, blew a coolant line, got a bunch of hoses replaced.

Things that are annoying me right now: still havent sourced/thought out exhaust system... need to just bite the bullet and get a header custom fabbed. The BOV I bought and found adapters for is totally not gonna fit because of the throttle cables. Should I flip it?

Also after learning a little more about tuning, I decided I want a pro to do it. Not sure if there are any tuners in area that will tune with replacement ECUs? do they have a preference between motec and megasquirt?

what a stupid busy summer of work. I think I was home for a total of a week in the past 4 months.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:35 am »
wow.

little update for anyone that cares.. Got stereo installed, that was the biggest PITA ever... accidentally drilled a hole through one of my sub cones, but the front coaxials sound great. Went to install computer that was working great indoors, boom, failed hard drive. stupid OCZ ssds... dont have time to try and fix it, so for now my phone is just plugged directly into the amp.

did the ball joints with some MOOG problem solvers  ;) which feel great. while doing passenger side, the half axle straight up fell apart in my hands. luckily id been hearing some wierd clunks on corners and bought a driver side from rockauto a couple weeks ago. double luckily, both drivers and passenger side are the same length. thank you subaru!

didnt have a 33mm socket, and it was 8pm... so I cobbled it back together and drove to work monday. scariest thing ever, car felt like it was going to fall apart. I will have to check trans mount for damage. Bought socket and decided to book a session with my PT for 630am on tuesday morning. started my first ever halfshaft swap at 730pm monday night. surprisingly, everything went spooky smooth... almost like id done it before..

nervously drove to gym this morning, felt solid as hell, checked axlenut torque in the parking lot, got some wierd looks, everything looked great, hooned every corner on my way to work. great success!

Got an email back from sunny. guy hasnt worked on an aftermarked ecu since DOS days. cant tell if good or bad.

still need to get my itshay together enough to find some coolant/oil lines for turbo and freakin give revhard a phone call finally and take the plunge.
would be nice to figure out ECU in the meantime. Oh and i installed a much noisier fuel pump, got a FPR adapter, and my injector seals started leaking, so I had to reseat again.

Offline TwEeKeDXXII

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • D.F.I. W.F.O
  • Ride: 94 Laggin Waggin
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 11:53:33 am »
hahaha carry on the battle dude, cars are a love,hate battle.. mostly hate for me..

ps, was that you askin about the hood scoop i have? PM me
*** Laggin Wagon ***
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=14015.0
Pig nose 04/05. Hawkeye 06/07. Abortion dumpster baby 08-13.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 09:22:54 am »
hahaha carry on the battle dude, cars are a love,hate battle.. mostly hate for me..

ps, was that you askin about the hood scoop i have? PM me

call me back bro!

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
Did engine/trans mounts and wishbone. feelsgoodman.jpg
bought Link G4+ Atom standalone for $1k. doing self install (or trying) to save $500 fee from autodream. pretty stoked on that price. No launch control/anti lag, but it does have two banks for fuel/ignition maps and lots of aux inputs. A/C button linked rally pig mode? i think so.
Got subachad UP/DP.
pretty much ready to go...  test fitted IC and turbo last night, I might need to rotate the turbo, which sucks, but im going to try not to.
**anyone know a shop that will do it/fab new WG bracket?**
IC also is too big. kind of expected this... anyone know anyone that has "smooshed" their firewall a little to get it to fit? i know 2.5 rs guys do this too. I would like to know just what parts they massaged.

Also planning on removing cruise control.
Worried about the sensor on the stock air box. Is it intake air temperature? I would have thought this would be further in the manifold in order to account for heating through diffusion..
Would like to remove A/C but im worried it will negatively affect my ability to defrost (air not as dry due to no condenser). has anyone done this and can comment?

still havent gotten around to fixing the CarPC... pretty bummed out.
also with the new mounts theres the gear "rumble" one would expect, but also a quite high pitched (almost supercharger like) whine in 1st and second. is this normal maybe? I noticed it before but its more pronounced now. seems louder when trans is cold. I hope its not a countershaft bearing or some such, I would like to keep this trans till I start breaking teeth off it.
pics:

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 02:38:33 pm »
If the mounts are brand new there's usually a week or so of "NEW SOUNDS!!!" before they all break in and it settles into its usual sound. Drivetrain sound is noticeable though, my WRX developed an interesting whine in 5th gear at certain speeds.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 02:58:58 pm »
it actually sounds a lot like my truck did. like a supercharger. difference is that whine pitch is related to wheel speed, but it only happens when in gear (and clutch out).
only in 1st and second.
whatever. I can start from 3rd in a pinch if it ever totally gives up.

Offline AdrenalineXI

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ryan
  • Ride: 98 OBS
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 09:36:47 pm »
/subbed as a fellow green OBS owner who also found a rusty jack area full of washer fluid and had to fish the lines down the pillar to reconnect. :)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 11:04:46 pm »
the WORST time to get sick. Just when things are getting exciting...
if someone reading this has a spare old windows laptop I can borrow, please PM, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:44 pm »
Maybe I should start a new thread in Engine Management or something, but in case anyone is wondering, subaru seems to have built different spring rate FPRs for different cars. Just bought one off gc8guy that was brand new and threw it in to see if it would fix a bit of my wildly fluctuating AFR readings, and it did, but car ran about 1 point lean (15.3+ under load).
I ASSUME you have to match FPRs with injectors and even then maybe do a bit of a tune.
OR you could tune by getting bigger injectors and a FPR from a smaller injector engine.

Side note, my ECU did not learn around it its currently getting no lambda reading. I havent bothered to send it simulated narrowband signal from my new innovate wideband.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 08:07:20 pm »
FPRs don't last forever, so if it's a particularly high mile example the spring can sag from being worn out. I would also imagine that different injectors need to have different supply-side pressures; FPR hackery is probably one of the ways that the EJ25 DOHC can work with the EJ22 ECU and vice versa, depending on what car you pulled gc8guy's FPR from.

I would have to always suggest that you do a retune if you're doing anything outside of the stock 'envelope' since nbo2 has such a tight compensation range.

If you want a real headache check out how Bosch CIS-E in Euromobiles uses fuel pressure as control logic.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:11 pm »
Except EJ22 ECU is not tunable at all hence the standalone.

I think I will order a real replacement FPR just to be on the safe side...
The thing I wonder is if the stock FPR for the N/A EJ22 will handle boost in an acceptable manner (knowledge of what's inside tells me it should).
One part of me thinks maybe I should find out what engine that FPR came from and get matching injectors because science.
But the the other part of me is like shut up.

Bosch CIS-E based on only the one page i read scanned is not used as control logic, but as an output actuator.
In my mind "control logic" would mean its used as an input to decide something else such as load. Which is doesnt make sense unless its equated to boost/vac (ie the fuel pressure is controlled in turn by manifold pressure. It also could be used if (like with that K-jetronic crap) the only other inputs were the TPS and AFR. then if you had like one or more REALLY sensitive pressure transducers for fuel, you could "check" your load calculation via how much pressure drops at each injector (ie equate P to flow rate, which is what happens with MAPs)

sorry I just had a pretty mentally stimulating day at work and my science is showing... gonna have fun trying to get to sleep tonight!

cool assay new miata my man. I would very much like a ride I hear all kinds of great things.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 08:43:44 pm »
Yeah, I'm just saying from a stock Subaru perspective that they probably figured it was cheaper to change out the FPR than to dicker with the ECU programming too excessively. Are there any part numbers on the FPR?

CIS-E is K-Jet with an O2 sensor introduced and an ECU that messes with the regulated pressure, though luckily the O2 only seems to be used for leaning out the mix (for cruise economy, probably). Internally the difference between system pressure and regulated pressure controls the fuel distributor in some way I was never brave enough to pull apart, but I should really re-read the Bentley. Either way, the car that I was working on had a burned up wiring harness so I never got far enough to actually tune the damn thing.

edit: Ah hell, now I see what you meant by output actuator. That makes a lot of sense although I dunno what I can compare it to in order to explain it better. Germans!

You'll get your ride once I get proper summer tires on this thing. The Chinese ditchfinders from the PO aren't as fun as you'd think. :)

Offline DiagTech

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Currently In The Works
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:34 pm »
IC also is too big. kind of expected this... anyone know anyone that has "smooshed" their firewall a little to get it to fit? i know 2.5 rs guys do this too. I would like to know just what parts they massaged.

Also planning on removing cruise control.
Worried about the sensor on the stock air box. Is it intake air temperature?

I didn't realize that you are well on your way to a boosted EJ222.

The IC is too big. The port needs to be cut short on both the intercooler and throttle body. Even then the firewall may need to be punched back a bit. Best option is the 06-07 WRX intercooler.

The cruise control actuator will definitely need to be removed or relocated.

Yes it is the intake air temperature sensor. You want to try and install it into the cool side of the IC.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »
uckfaying hell. Even with the wastegate propped open the td04 makes enough boost to pop the wastegate upon throttle closing.
no idea how much boost, as I still havent hooked up boost gauge.
Also not sure what it means. I sure hope it doesnt mean massive boost creep in that range (5-6k)
Side note: what kind of tubing you guys use for boost/vac??? (and where do you get it)
I got this small clear stuff and it sucks closed under vac.

Offline DiagTech

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 08:25:44 pm »
What wastegate actuator is on the TD04?

Standard vacuum hose will work fine, just look for the proper size at a local parts supplier. I just ordered some thick walled silicone hose to replace some of the old vacuum lines. Small zip ties work great holding hose on.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2014, 10:25:09 am »
i dont know a whole bunch about it except its integrated and has a 10psi spring. Ive just removed the C-clip from the end of the arm and left the gate open because theres no fuel management going on.
Right thanks I forgot that normal parts stores sell things like that. zip ties are the itshay.

Offline DiagTech

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:35 pm »
You should have a lower pressure spring or a different actuator. If you know what pressures you are hitting, could be bad news at some point. No boost gauge?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:28 pm »
Not yet I have one but I haven't gotten around to putting it in, as there's not supposed to be any pressure. My theory is that because the subachad dp is not bellmouth, the gate cannot open right up. As for lighter actuator, I'm going to wait and see what actual peak manifold pressure I end up with. Wideband reads 15.9 absolute max and the bov I have is a sequential hks which basically bleeds air at atmospheric, so im not super worried about damage as is. More so my thought is that if the wg fully open isn't enough to stop boost, will it be enough to stop creep if I'm at high load and actuating pressure?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 09:13:27 am »
SYKE! it makes <2psi at 6000 and I just have an awesome BOV that I bought for $50 because the guy thought it leaked.. i dont think ittl be a problem down the road. booked the weekend off to FINALLY get this stupid ECU wired. should be fun. If anyone cares, heres some pictures. I think I'm funny.

Ghetto temp gauge job:

Yeah zap straps! how you supposed to get vac tubing around all that HVAC crap anyways? actual work? ridiculous.

Ghetto assay intake. No 15's at mopac so I decided a 45 would work. Edit: after posting this picture and looking at it for 14 seconds, I realized I should probably try to point it down so any moisture will run out the filter vs into my turbo....  ???   Sometimes, life is hard for me.

Ghetto assay problem solving. Nowhere to put it yet... considering drilling into side of the IC below the core but still not sure how ill do it. added bonus: makes my car run richer if im going fast enough!

No catch can? who needs one?

I took this thing apart and the conflicting forces confused me. Guy who sold it to me for $50 said it leaked but as far as I can tell, a gentle breeze comes out when vacs down at -15"Hg and the turbo's still rotating gently. Once it spins up it slams shut. Only thing that concerns me is that it rotates relatively easily on its "pedestal" (ie underneath the clamp ring), but I cant feel anything come out of there yet.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »
Is that intake spider rattlecanned?

That's some nice build, I tell you what. I can't wait to see this thing in all its glory. What are you doing to richen the fuel right now? Where'd you get the subachad pipes from?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 05:03:05 pm »
Yup I hit it with some metallic red when I had it off for phenolic spacer install.
Im going to take a break for the summer once I've got it running real good. Need time to fix truck and make a hilarious mustang.

I was googling subachad pipes and I uncovered a FS thread from 2010 and they had no strikethrough and the seller was located in calgary. Honz via another username on NASIOC. Googled the nasoic posting's text, uncovered a identical (almost) post on WSC. PMd him and it turns out he heard literally NOTHING for the last 3.5 years and now all of a sudden hes gotten 4 or 5 people asking about it out of the blue. wierd itshay.

Interesting note that I will write later in some sort of formal run-down of all the times I uckfayed up so other people can follow along: the fit is not fantastic on an OBS. The exit tri-flange on the DP wound up pressing on my crossmember. When I got the exhaust built, I just got the guy to chop it and extend the DP with a pipe with a dimple where it was hitting.

Also I took your advice (I legitimately couldn't figure out if you were joking) and purchased that dirt cheap glasspack muffler. System is 2.5" from the turbo back, with ONLY that thing in-line.
If you do NOT want your neighbours sneaking into your house at night and shoving a lit firework finale firework pack up your butthole while you sleep, do not do this thing.

I'm hoping it quiets down with the wastegate closed. Oh another thing i noticed is that the DP flange (being most definately not a bellmouth) only allows the WG to open maybe 65 degrees? as opposed to its (I assume) usual 90? Thought that was wierd until I though about how much of a PITA it would be to incorporate a bellmouth or an offset.

uckyfay zero fuel management solutions yet beyond jamming my IAT sensor out the top of the hood. Instead I removed the actuating arm from the WG.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »
Haha, so those are honz's up/downpipes. He offered them to me when I got my '97 OBS for about the same project. honz is the best and everyone should get to know him.

I legitimately don't remember if I was kidding about the cherry bomb or not.