Author Topic: Workout thread / Do you even lift bro?  (Read 40584 times)

Offline Baumer

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2000 Suzuki GSXR 600, 2006 Honda VTX 1300
Re: Workout thread / Do you even lift bro?
« Reply #525 on: December 17, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
If you already have a bike you like riding just get an indoor resistance trainer.  The wife uses hers all winter and then in the summer its out of the basement and not taking up space.

Offline Jessica

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #526 on: December 26, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »

200lb deadlift PR. Pew pew!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #527 on: December 26, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
Nice! Looked too easy. Time to go for 2 plates.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Mason

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #528 on: December 26, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »
Strong lift, but there was a clock wise rotation in there going up.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #529 on: December 26, 2018, 05:57:38 PM »
Mixed grip windmill follows the hands.

Offline soulindk

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2018 Crosstrek
« Reply #530 on: December 27, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »
Strong lift, but there was a clock wise rotation in there going up.
Are you talking about the rotation in the plates themselves?

Nice lift Jess. 225lb will move no problem.
It was hard to tell from that angle but it looked like your left arm may not have been straight. It can be hard sometimes, but make sure your arms are straight and you aren't auto-curling the bar.
Also, try retracting your scapula more (almost like your bending the bar around your shins or protecting your armpits from being tickled)
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline Mason

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #531 on: December 27, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
Are you talking about the rotation in the plates themselvses

I am talking about the rotation.of the bar from the mixed grip.

Offline Jukka

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: CORAL!, Toaster
« Reply #532 on: January 07, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
Can I ask about supplements?

I've never been one to use them really. I know there are some guys at my gym to walk in every day carrying 2 gym bags. 1 with all their workout clothes and gear, another with their protein, creatine, and all their other supplements.

Right now the only workout related products I take are C4 Pre-Workout (I usually work out in the evenings so having the caffeine boost helps), and Vega One All-in-One protein shakes (usually with water or almond milk. I didn't get it because I'm Vegan, just me and dairy aren't friends these days) and turmeric pills (550mg twice a day as per the recommendation of my chiropractor to help reduce some chronic inflammation i have from a previous injury).

I'm going to be spending the next 3 and a half months pushing hard to reach my goals and was just wondering if there were any supplements that are actually worth while or should be avoided.

My goals as it stands is dropping about 15-20lbs, build up some more muscle tone, work on my aerobic and anaerobic stamina. I'm going to the gym 2-4 times a week right now, usually doing 20-30 min of cardio (bike, treadmill, interval training with burpees, bench hops, skipping, heavy ropes, etc), then usually 35min -1 hour of weights depending on what I'm working out that day and my energy level. So far I'm down about 15lbs from September from 236 to 222lbs.

Any recommendations? Not looking to get big (I'm already pretty thick from genetics), looking to trim down and get the best results from my training.

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 S2000, 2012 Tundra, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #533 on: January 07, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
No supplements really needed if you are eating a balanced diet.

The only supplement you are not taking that is shown to have positive results is creatine.

Other than that continue with the protein and whatever you may need for inflammation.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #534 on: January 07, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
No supplements here. I tried an EC stack for a while to try to drop body fat %. It was... weird. Made me twitchy.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2000 OBS EJ222 +MFT, KTM Duke 390, 1996 Ford E350 SD ambulance, 1990 4runner
« Reply #535 on: January 07, 2019, 09:23:49 PM »
You might already know this but just make sure your macros are protein heavy for muscle recovery. From pre-training levels, you're probably looking at a 5-7% shift from both carbs and fats into protein. Is important for both anaerobic and aerobic fitness goals to get those bad boys repaired asap. Having an excess of proteins might make you a little stinky but your body will need more to repair the damage your training is doing so imo err on the side of caution and overdo it just a little. Also, just keep in mind the value of "off days" or going easy for a day or two to keep the cycle working.
Its possible that you know more about this than I do and I sound like a dumb idiot, but i just recently learned about training methods and cycling and I feel like I've been kept in the dark all my life.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Mason

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #536 on: January 07, 2019, 09:45:07 PM »
I have read into taking Omega/glucosamine and chondroitin  supplements for quicker recovery as I also want to focus on training.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/barbend.com/omega-3-fatty-acids-athletes/amp/

Any one can chime in on this as I haven't tried any supplements other than protein. (I do however give them to my dog and it does her wonders)

Offline soulindk

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #537 on: January 08, 2019, 06:32:08 AM »
Supplements are precisely that, a supplement. If you are having difficulty eating all the protein, supplement that with some protein powder. Eating 200+ grams of protein a day can become a bit of a daunting task.

The only supplements that I personally use are creatine, BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids), and protein powder.

Creatine is one of, if not the most studied supplement and so it is widely understood. Here's a blurb from examine.com.

What is creatine?

Creatine is a molecule produced in the body. It stores high-energy phosphate groups in the form of phosphocreatine. Phosphocreatine releases energy to aid cellular function during stress. This effect causes strength increases after creatine supplementation, and can also benefit the brain, bones, muscles, and liver. Most of the benefits of creatine are a result of this mechanism.

Creatine can be found in some foods, mostly meat, eggs, and fish. Creatine supplementation confers a variety of health benefits and has neuroprotective and cardioprotective properties. It is often used by athletes to increase both power output and lean mass.

Stomach cramping can occur when creatine is supplemented without sufficient water. Diarrhea and nausea can occur when too much creatine is supplemented at once, in which case doses should be spread out throughout the day and taken with meals.

So what does creatine do?

Creatine can help with exercise performance by rapidly producing energy during activity. Creatine may also provide cognitive benefits.

BCAAs are the building block of protein synthesis and muscle recovery. There's also EAAs (Essential Amino Acids), which contain all amino acids vs the three that BCAAs typically contain.

Don't go wild with the supplements thinking that you need so many that you have to carry an entirely different gym bag for them, because that's douchebag territory and uckfayin' expensive. Plus just uckfayin' leave them at home like any other normal person and mix them into your water or throw them into a baggy to mix at the gym if you need to do that. Do your research and find what is best and what works for you. I listed it above, but www.examine.com is a fantastic resource for quick research as it is already complied there for you and provides you with the links to individual research papers.

Edited for spelling

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #538 on: January 08, 2019, 06:41:48 AM »
Sounds like I should look into creatine. I just assumed the amount in my protein powder was sufficient.

Offline Jukka

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #539 on: January 08, 2019, 09:59:37 AM »
You might already know this but just make sure your macros are protein heavy for muscle recovery. From pre-training levels, you're probably looking at a 5-7% shift from both carbs and fats into protein. Is important for both anaerobic and aerobic fitness goals to get those bad boys repaired asap. Having an excess of proteins might make you a little stinky but your body will need more to repair the damage your training is doing so imo err on the side of caution and overdo it just a little. Also, just keep in mind the value of "off days" or going easy for a day or two to keep the cycle working.
Its possible that you know more about this than I do and I sound like a dumb idiot, but i just recently learned about training methods and cycling and I feel like I've been kept in the dark all my life.

I know a bit about it, but I'm not super knowledgeable either. I had 2 years of health and fitness programs in college where we talked about proper workout techniques, shifting diets, recovery, etc, but that was also 7 years ago, so not everything is clear as it can be. But I've shifted my diet over to being more protein based and less carbs. I went from eating a bagel or a big bowl of cereal for breakfast over to home made egg, turkey bacon and cheese english muffin sandwiches to get more protein first thing in the morning and less carbs. Sarah is also boarder line celiac, so we very rarely have bread in the house as is, so a lot of carbs are cut out from there. We also purged all of out kitchen basically before we went away for the christmas break, so when we came home and went shopping we bought only good stuff to eat. Made energy balls for snacks (peanut butter, rolled oats, flax, honey, all rolled up), have been planning out our menu for the week in advance where we're doing a lean protein, grain and veg every meal (usually brown rice and or quinoa for the grain, and lots of cruciferous veggies like brocolli, kale, brussel sprouts, etc).

Supplements are precisely that, a supplement. If you are having difficulty eating all the protein, supplement that with some protein powder. Eating 200+ grams of protein a day can become a bit of a daunting task.

The only supplements that I personally use are creatine, BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids), and protein powder.

Creatine is one of, if not the most studied supplement and so it is widely understood. Here's a blurb from examine.com.

What is creatine?

Creatine is a molecule produced in the body. It stores high-energy phosphate groups in the form of phosphocreatine. Phosphocreatine releases energy to aid cellular function during stress. This effect causes strength increases after creatine supplementation, and can also benefit the brain, bones, muscles, and liver. Most of the benefits of creatine are a result of this mechanism.

Creatine can be found in some foods, mostly meat, eggs, and fish. Creatine supplementation confers a variety of health benefits and has neuroprotective and cardioprotective properties. It is often used by athletes to increase both power output and lean mass.

Stomach cramping can occur when creatine is supplemented without sufficient water. Diarrhea and nausea can occur when too much creatine is supplemented at once, in which case doses should be spread out throughout the day and taken with meals.

So what does creatine do?

Creatine can help with exercise performance by rapidly producing energy during activity. Creatine may also provide cognitive benefits.

BCAAs are the building block of protein synthesis and muscle recovery. There's also EAAs (Essential Amino Acids), which contain all amino acids vs the three that BCAAs typically contain.

Don't go wild with the supplements thinking that you need so many that you have to carry an entirely different gym bag for them, because that's douchebag territory and uckfayin' expensive. Plus just uckfayin' leave them at home like any other normal person and mix them into your water or throw them into a baggy to mix at the gym if you need to do that. Do your research and find what is best and what works for you. I listed it above, but www.examine.com is a fantastic resource for quick research as it is already complied there for you and provides you with the links to individual research papers.

Edited for spelling

My biggest thing about creatine was when I was in college, our fitness instructor used to say that she doesn't recommend it because she was taught when she was doing her degree that there was a possibility of doing liver and kidney damage by using it. Also there was one guy who was in some of my classes who used to drink 1-3 creatine shakes a day and had the worst water retention I've ever seen. He looked jacked as could be when he was wearing a long sleeve, but if he ever took his shirt off or wore a t-shirt he was as puffy as the Michelin Man. For comparison one day, we measured my bicep against his bicep and his arms were 3" bigger diameter than mine, but it was all puff from water retention. Seeing that and being taught that it can damage your liver and kidneys pushed me off the idea of using it to this day. But I'll do some more research on it.

I've never been the type of person to hop on board with using as many supplements as possible, which is why I only really use pre-workout and protein and I don't really plan on using a whole bunch either, just wanted to see if there was something I'm really missing that'll help out my performance.

Starting next week I'm adding in some actual track running into my workout. So far my cardio has been mostly bikes or treadmill work, but I haven't done much running off a treadmill since October, so I decided that I'm going to buy a drop in 10 pack at MRU and hit their track there once a week to be able to do some more real world aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

Offline soulindk

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #540 on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
I know a bit about it, but I'm not super knowledgeable either. I had 2 years of health and fitness programs in college where we talked about proper workout techniques, shifting diets, recovery, etc, but that was also 7 years ago, so not everything is clear as it can be. But I've shifted my diet over to being more protein based and less carbs. I went from eating a bagel or a big bowl of cereal for breakfast over to home made egg, turkey bacon and cheese english muffin sandwiches to get more protein first thing in the morning and less carbs. Sarah is also boarder line celiac, so we very rarely have bread in the house as is, so a lot of carbs are cut out from there. We also purged all of out kitchen basically before we went away for the christmas break, so when we came home and went shopping we bought only good stuff to eat. Made energy balls for snacks (peanut butter, rolled oats, flax, honey, all rolled up), have been planning out our menu for the week in advance where we're doing a lean protein, grain and veg every meal (usually brown rice and or quinoa for the grain, and lots of cruciferous veggies like brocolli, kale, brussel sprouts, etc).

My biggest thing about creatine was when I was in college, our fitness instructor used to say that she doesn't recommend it because she was taught when she was doing her degree that there was a possibility of doing liver and kidney damage by using it. Also there was one guy who was in some of my classes who used to drink 1-3 creatine shakes a day and had the worst water retention I've ever seen. He looked jacked as could be when he was wearing a long sleeve, but if he ever took his shirt off or wore a t-shirt he was as puffy as the Michelin Man. For comparison one day, we measured my bicep against his bicep and his arms were 3" bigger diameter than mine, but it was all puff from water retention. Seeing that and being taught that it can damage your liver and kidneys pushed me off the idea of using it to this day. But I'll do some more research on it.

I've never been the type of person to hop on board with using as many supplements as possible, which is why I only really use pre-workout and protein and I don't really plan on using a whole bunch either, just wanted to see if there was something I'm really missing that'll help out my performance.

Starting next week I'm adding in some actual track running into my workout. So far my cardio has been mostly bikes or treadmill work, but I haven't done much running off a treadmill since October, so I decided that I'm going to buy a drop in 10 pack at MRU and hit their track there once a week to be able to do some more real world aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

It's a bit odd that one of your reasons for not using creatine is the possibility of liver and/or kidney damage when there have been studies that have shown the same for protein. But with both of those situations, what you have to remember is that amount of each that needs to be consumed to have that elevated risk to those organs is a crazy amount. In regards to your classmate, he was taking way too much. You only need one little 5 gram scoop a day, or on the days you workout. What he was doing was asinine and definitely not necessary. Some people insist on creatine loading, when that has been debunked. As I mentioned in my previous response, creatine is one of the most studied supplements. From my personal research it is the one supplement that time and time again has been listed as the, "if your were going to take one, and only one supplement it should be creatine."

But that being said, I am by no means saying that you need to take creatine or you aren't going to see any results. That's rubbish because you will always see results if you put the time and effort into it. Some supplements just increase the efficiency of your workouts, if you will.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1998 Evo V
« Reply #541 on: January 08, 2019, 11:10:53 AM »
I am on the side of fewer supplements.

I used to be the guy with pre-workout, intra workout, post workout, pre-sleeping blah blah. Then kind of calculated how much I was spending on that stuff, decided to just use what I had in my cupboard up before I could buy anything else. That slowly weaned off into not taking much of anything, with the exception of fish oils, multivitamin, creatine (purple k) and protein powder to make up for calories or protein (I no longer mix protein powder with just water, I don't think it does anything for you. If I take protein powder it is in a smoothie with fats and fiber alongside). I really haven't noticed much of a difference in muscle mass, leading up until hernia I was getting stronger still (who is to say how strong I could have gotten given every edge popeyes has to offer, I would imagine it is pretty negligible for my level of competitiveness [non].)

Right now, I am back on the EC train as part of my current goals. I found myself very unmotivated to get back into the gym post surgery if I was to take it easy on the powerlifting side of things, so I just set the goal of 12-14 % body fat and am working towards that as I continue to heal and ease back into lifting. Ephedrine and caffeine before a workout are as good as any pre-workout I have taken, and costs like maybe 12$ a month. 

In summation: fish oils, multivitamin, creatine, and rarely protein powder I have felt optimal.

Maybe this is tangential, but sauna / steam room / ice baths have made me feel better (mentally and physically) than any combination of supplements I have tried over the past 5 years have. I sleep better, feel less DOMS, recover better, and mentally enjoy doing something that my mind forces my body to do.
My build thread(s),
Subaru: http://goo.gl/oNdq9A Mitsubishi: http://goo.gl/KObocl

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 S2000, 2012 Tundra, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #542 on: January 08, 2019, 11:45:30 AM »
Supplementation, outside of protein (if you consider it a supplement), really is that last 5% of any diet. Meaning, that it shouldn't be your primary focus unless you are looking for that last little bit.

Number 1 in your diet is the amount of calories (energy in/out), that makes up more than 55% or so, then it's the balance of macronutrients that is another 25%, then the times you eat making up 15 percent. Supplementation is about recovery, which I don't imagine many of us are working hard enough to need that amount of recovery, or for other reasons.

I don't know much about Creatine, but most Phd's I know in nutrition and sports science say it's the only supplement that's worth exploring in detail. Do you really need it? That's up to you.

Offline Jukka

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #543 on: January 08, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
It's a bit odd that one of your reasons for not using creatine is the possibility of liver and/or kidney damage when there have been studies that have shown the same for protein. But with both of those situations, what you have to remember is that amount of each that needs to be consumed to have that elevated risk to those organs is a crazy amount. In regards to your classmate, he was taking way too much. You only need one little 5 gram scoop a day, or on the days you workout. What he was doing was asinine and definitely not necessary. Some people insist on creatine loading, when that has been debunked. As I mentioned in my previous response, creatine is one of the most studied supplements. From my personal research it is the one supplement that time and time again has been listed as the, "if your were going to take one, and only one supplement it should be creatine."

But that being said, I am by no means saying that you need to take creatine or you aren't going to see any results. That's rubbish because you will always see results if you put the time and effort into it. Some supplements just increase the efficiency of your workouts, if you will.
Again, the big reason I never started taking it was because the only source I had for information on stuff like supplements was from my teachers growing up and my teachers in college. They were all schooled on a theory that creatine could cause liver/kidney problems, so they disseminated their information on us without backing it up with current information. And I agree, the guy in college with me was taking way too much of it. He was a skinny Asian guy who was just really concerned about bulking up and getting big. His daily question would be "Hey, how much do you weigh now?" because he wanted to know if his weight gain was on track with where he wanted to be visually.

I'll do some more research on creatine and see if it's something that would be worth while for the type of workouts I'm going to be doing and goals I have.
Maybe this is tangential, but sauna / steam room / ice baths have made me feel better (mentally and physically) than any combination of supplements I have tried over the past 5 years have. I sleep better, feel less DOMS, recover better, and mentally enjoy doing something that my mind forces my body to do.

I'll agree to this 100%. I love proper sauna's and steam rooms. They have been proven to help release toxins from the body and help reduce lactic acid build up after workouts. If you ever get a chance to try a traditional Finnish sauna, using vihta, which is essentially birch branches with leaves attached to them still in a bundle to gently beat your self with, helps open up pores more, calms muscles like crazy and makes a sauna that much more enjoyable. Next time you have a sauna or steam, as soon as your done, hop in a cold shower. It helps close up pores and wakes you the hell up.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #544 on: January 08, 2019, 07:12:05 PM »
I'll agree to this 100%. I love proper sauna's and steam rooms. They have been proven to help release toxins from the body and help reduce lactic acid build up after workouts. If you ever get a chance to try a traditional Finnish sauna, using vihta, which is essentially birch branches with leaves attached to them still in a bundle to gently beat your self with, helps open up pores more, calms muscles like crazy and makes a sauna that much more enjoyable. Next time you have a sauna or steam, as soon as your done, hop in a cold shower. It helps close up pores and wakes you the hell up.

I am part of World Health still.. (begrudgingly) and they have steam room. At the end of every workout I go in there now and follow it with a cold shower and I now find myself looking foreword to the sauna more than the workout sometimes.
My build thread(s),

Offline Jukka

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #545 on: January 14, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
I found my new favorite/most hated exercise at the gym. The gym recently got sleds, so I loaded the sled up with 90lbs of weight, sled weighs 80lbs already, TRX grip clipped into the front. I do reverse pull/shuffle the length of my gym, which is about 60ish feet, drop the handel and then sprint push it back as fast as I can.

I did 3 sets of them yesterday at the end of my workout and felt like I was going to die. That was also post 30 min of cardio and 45 min of weight training.

Offline Jessica

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #546 on: January 19, 2019, 03:07:54 PM »
I am part of World Health still.. (begrudgingly) and they have steam room. At the end of every workout I go in there now and follow it with a cold shower and I now find myself looking foreword to the sauna more than the workout sometimes.

I made the colossal mistake of going to World Health Gateway for 10am today. It was a very good reminder of how much I hate most gym goers. If you need/want a gym buddy, I'm usually there most mornings for around 6:15-6:30 am, and Saturday's at around 8am as well.

On a different note, I got asked to spot one of the more advanced weightlifters at the gym this morning, despite being super smole, so that was super cool being trusted to do that.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #547 on: January 21, 2019, 02:06:48 PM »
I made the colossal mistake of going to World Health Gateway for 10am today. It was a very good reminder of how much I hate most gym goers. If you need/want a gym buddy, I'm usually there most mornings for around 6:15-6:30 am, and Saturday's at around 8am as well.

On a different note, I got asked to spot one of the more advanced weightlifters at the gym this morning, despite being super smole, so that was super cool being trusted to do that.

You are there on Saturdays before I am awake on the week days :P Running unemployed hours now, best time for the gym is 1:30 pm!
My build thread(s),

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #548 on: January 21, 2019, 02:23:14 PM »
Linear program (nSuns) is going well, but I'm starting to struggle on high bar squats. Apparently I'm doing what's called a "good morning" squat, where I'm compensating for weaker legs with a stronger lower back. Gonna knock down the weight, focus on form, and do some leg isolation accessories. Finally try out the hack squat machine, and get back to doing lunges.

I am pretty happy though, even if it was a "good morning squat" it was still 365x5 high bar.

Offline Jessica

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #549 on: January 28, 2019, 08:29:41 PM »
TPerkins, I know you go to World Health, but is there anyone who goes to the Gateway location? I need a gym buddy on Monday nights to help me spot my bench. I really, really don't trust any of the folks there to help me. =/ Evidently, "Don't touch the bar unless I tell you to" doesn't seem to mean anything.