Author Topic: BBQ: Lets here some reviews/opinions  (Read 5979 times)

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: BBQ: Lets here some reviews/opinions
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »
Take a look at the primo http://primogrill.com/ . they are a bit cheaper than the BGE but just as good. I did some work for a guy that owns a local woodstove place and he has the oval XL.

size comparison: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/grillcomp.htm
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 06:50:00 pm »
There are two different definitions of the term BBQ.

BBQ the way most of us define it is actually known as "Grilling". High direct heat for steaks, burgers, etc.

Proper BBQ is low and slow indirect heat which can be smoky or not.

You can usually do both with any grill, but they will typically only excel at only one or the other. I personally have two grills, a propane one and a charcoal one. If I am in a rush and want some flame seared steak for supper, or it's wintertime, I use the propane. It's quick, clean and gets the job done. If I do not need to rush, want to enjoy the cooking process (and a couple beers) and enhance the flavours, I use the charcoal as a grill. Then there's the days where I just gotta have juicy, tender, slow cooked BBQ beef and there isn't a restaurant in this country that I have found that does it right. That's when I turn the Weber into the ultimate BBQ tool by adding the "Smokenator 1000".
http://www.smokenator.com/

You can see the extra baffle on the side that keeps the charcoal from applying direct heat to the meat. It also has a water pan that keeps the moisture level up so that it doesn't dry out.

12 lb brisket. Took about 10 hours of cooking and 2 hours of resting to be fall apart tender and juicy. I didn't take any pics once we sliced it up and started eating, it was awesome. I have been on the hunt for a place that I can go to get brisket that is that good, and I haven't yet been able to find one. I am salivating just looking at my pictures again.

In my mind the perfect comprimise is a cheap propane grill and a Weber kettle. There is so much aftermarket support for the Weber kettle grills I wouldn't have even considered any of the other brands out there. It's a great tool that takes some skill to get it to work the way you want it to, but when you figure it out, it's unbelievably good.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 07:21:58 pm »
Great looking brisket. You're right about BBQ in Canada. I'm still on the hunt here, and have yet to find it. Best so far was at a bar in Maui. It was fall apart tender with a great smoke flavour. What wood did you use for the smoke?
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 06:10:37 am »
12 lb brisket. Took about 10 hours of cooking and 2 hours of resting to be fall apart tender and juicy. I didn't take any pics once we sliced it up and started eating, it was awesome. I have been on the hunt for a place that I can go to get brisket that is that good, and I haven't yet been able to find one. I am salivating just looking at my pictures again.

Try this with your brisket one day, cube it and then stick it in the freezer for 10mins or so.  Take it out and put it in a food processor.  Pulse it a couple of times and it just pulls it apart.  Throw it on a bun with some of the juices....

Great looking brisket. You're right about BBQ in Canada. I'm still on the hunt here, and have yet to find it. Best so far was at a bar in Maui. It was fall apart tender with a great smoke flavour. What wood did you use for the smoke?

There isn't a place in Edmonton that does BBQ right IMO.   It's like trying to find a place that does country fried steaks proper, they just don't exist here.  :(

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 06:45:41 am »

I used cherry wood.

Try this with your brisket one day, cube it and then stick it in the freezer for 10mins or so.  Take it out and put it in a food processor.  Pulse it a couple of times and it just pulls it apart.  Throw it on a bun with some of the juices....

That just sounds wrong.....  :-\

There are a few places that are trying hard and come close, but still not as good. Sloppy Hoggs Roed Hus by NAIT and Smokehouse BBQ in Leduc are two that come to mind, but neither of them were as mind blowing as I was hyped up to believe. One day I will do a road trip across the southern USA and take in all there is in the world of barbecue.

To the OP: Not sure if you have one in Red Deer, but BBQ Country has a good selection of different kinds and brands of bbq's. I've seen Webers and Big Green Eggs and many others there. It's worth a look if you are near one. Also they have tons of spices, rubs, sauces, and recipe books too.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14:34 am »
That just sounds wrong.....  :-\

It's a Texas thing I guess.  As much as I love sliced beef brisket, I still love a chopped beef brisket sandwich.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 10:23:48 am »
Not the chopping part, the freezing and food processing part.

If it's not going to be sliced, I'll pull it by hand instead.

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
Not the chopping part, the freezing and food processing part.

Oh, you freeze it so the food processor doesn't chop it into little pieces but shreds. 

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »
To quote that "LDS" guy..  "I'll just leave this here:"

http://gizmodo.com/5987009/the-easy-cheap-way-to-build-a-kick+assay-bbq-pit-in-your-backyard

and this:

http://gizmodo.com/5923283/how-i-got-at-least-2000-worth-of-grill-for-540

I plan on trying out the second link this summer.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 12:26:24 pm »
All I need is the Party Q and I'll basically have what's in that second link. The smokenator 1000 is an amazing accessory.

Offline Unoriginalusername

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2010 Subaru WRX STi
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 10:22:33 pm »
Thanks everyone for the reviews and different ideas. I decided that since I already paid to have a gas line run to the deck on my new house I might as well get a gas BBQ. So I ended up getting a Weber E-320. Really a well build unit, very even heat. Really enjoyed using it for the first time, and cant wait to keep using it.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 04:45:06 am »
What's that I hear? BBQ party at your place?

;D

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 10:28:56 am »
Hell yes! Bring your own meat! Beer I already have lots of!

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »
Good choice.  I have that Weber E-320 too.  I got upgraded grill with mine though

AJ, do run your smoking all day on the weekends to get that?  i assume you don't let it go unattended, might burn the house down or something.

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 07:29:54 pm »
Good choice.  I have that Weber E-320 too.  I got upgraded grill with mine though

AJ, do run your smoking all day on the weekends to get that?  i assume you don't let it go unattended, might burn the house down or something.

Sleep is sacrificed for amazing food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 07:36:17 pm »
Upgraded grill? as in a heavier duty cast iron??

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:48 pm »
Upgraded grill? as in a heavier duty cast iron??

Yeah, been a while but I think we bypassed the porcelain grills and went with cast iron.