Author Topic: The end is near.  (Read 10904 times)

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 02' WRX Wagon
New clutch is in. I'd be super happy except that I'm not sure about two things.

1. The pedal pushes down soooooo easily. The only thing I can think of is that the old one was worn and it was harder to push down because of the mechanical leverage from the foot pedal cam/spring in the footwell. Old clutch engaged quite a ways off the floor almost when fully out. New one starts to engage just a bit off the floor. I'd almost need o sit in a newer Subaru or someone elses car with a new clutch to compare.

2. A new noise. I'm thinking NOT clutch related but a bad noise none the less. When I blip the throttle from idling, a split second before the motor has time to react I get a 'electrical/velcro-ish/creaky/sparking/scratching/match striking' kinda noise. Haha. The noise happens only on quick throttle position changes. If I ease into the throttle I can't hear it. Doesn't seem to be any weird driving issues. I've eliminated the actually throttle plates/cables/springs as I can isolate all of them with my fingers and the noise is still present when the position changes. It sound like it's coming from the front passenger side of the block. So I have no TGV's so it can't be stepper motors, it could be plugs/coil packs/injectors?

Let me know if you have any insight into either of these things. Now that I write this down the 2nd issue bothers me much more than the first.

Also pics of the clutch job!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: soft clutch - new clutches are softer IIRC depending on what you go with. My stage 1 was stupid heavy, but Jeff's OEM was stupid soft. As for the engagement point, you can adjust the pedal. It's a pain in the assay, but it can be done (from the cabin).
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
my stage 1 was really heavy when we put it in. as far as trying someone elses youre more than welcome to try mine. same year and my clutch was done in the past 5k
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
I stopped by Vex today to drop off my old flywheel. (Part of the deal with the machined one I got). Talked to Ryan about both issues and even got him to listen to the noise from the second one. He thinks it nothing to worry about and that the clutch pedal is fine. I suppose I should just stop being paranoid and just drive my car now. ;)

After driving it around in traffic today for a bit, I am pretty stoked about the clutches engagement right off the floor. It sure makes timing down-shifts a hell of a lot easier. Also after about 50km of driving the grab is already starting to happen and combined with the lighter clutch feel it's a whole lot easier to drive around in general.

So back to my plan to tune out some minor daily driving quirks.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
So, like a dummy I had a bottle of oil tucked away under my drivers seat for the emergency moments when my WRX gobbles more oil than I expected. I've had this in practice for 2 years and no problems. Lately however I've spent a bunch of time and energy finding and patching any and all leaks that I could find. So I haven't had to put oil in every fill up for awhile now. It burns a bit but now it like the regular amount like other cars I've had. So I go to grab the oil and it's leaked out a substantial amount over the rear drivers rug area. Enough that a steam vac/paper towels/any other topical attempt does nothing. It stinks, it stinks all the time. So on Sunday I got busy. Pulled the interior and did it right.

Let's peel this thing out of here and see if we can undo the damage.

Hot sunny Sunday, thank Jebus.

The last owners of my ride had kids? I found Crayola's and plenty of other nasty things back here and under the passenger seat. I don't wear my nitrile gloves as much as I should but I absolutely wore them to scrub this crap out from underneath everything.

Thanks again for this score Asstuna

Clean and smelling fresh. Took quite a bit of dish soap and degresser to get the oil out but it came out and smells fresh and purty now.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
Re: Mr Crowley's WRX Wagon, Ramps..Now morer higher
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
Made some ramps today. Needed to be able to adjust/lube/tighten sway bars and suspension goodies with weight on the coils. Also makes quick work of oil changes and whatever else I need to do. They go pretty high which I like because now there's lots of room to muck about underneath. Also way safer then jack stands on gravel. On that note lubed up and tightened front sway with weight on the car!

Does anyone know where to buy a heatercore that isn't $360? Seems like Rockauto and the other typical places don't carry them, only subaru??

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
Re: Mr Crowley's WRX : Winter is coming.
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 06:23:55 pm »
In anticipation of winter I peeled the worn out old winters that I rocked for at least two winters too long. Actually Yella saved the day at Kal Tire and also Identified a nail in one of my summers then proceeded to fix it immediately as well as getting his guys to peel my old winters off so I could paint the wheels before I put some new Hakka 8's on them. Thanks again Yella, you and your crew were fast. Very, very fast.

One of the perks of starting my new job is that we have a paint shop on the other end of our yard. While I have no access to it myself, I was able to beer bribe my way into having them throw a set of wheels in with some heavy equipment they were painting white. The paint is crazy super high resin content makes it thick and fairly impervious to impact damage. I didn't do any prep so they did a quickie job. Also didn't paint the inside of the rim because it was easier for them, they did come out fine for a set of winter wheels! I paid them in beer and I pretty pleased with my trade.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Wow, that looks sweet @@

What was the equipment that was being painted white?
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
What was the equipment that was being painted white?

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced

I really wish it was. What episode is this?

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
Re: Mr Crowley's WRX Wagon, Winter is coming.
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2014, 06:31:20 pm »
Now....just need some snow. I'm not actually looking forward to it but...kinda am...

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2014, 06:29:15 pm »
With the help of my neighbour (Asstuna), I acquired some stock struts with Koni inserts featuring pretty pink STI coils. The car is slowly going the direction of a gravel road capable machine. Instead of a "whhhhoooooaaaaaa, slow down that might be a pothole" machine. So now it's in 'winter mode' and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the help Tuna.  ;)

These stockers are for winter use and to bridge the gap until I can afford other plans. Those plans may include...

-15" Gravel style rally wheels and some AT tires for summer adventures
-Jeff spec 441 Feal's for extra gravel fun
-Possibly back to stock rear sway for extra bump sensitivity at cost of body roll
-Lot's of new bushings in most parts of the chassis all the rubber needs a refresh.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2014, 07:55:14 pm »
That looks like just the right amount of wheel gap. And those wheels look great. Super fresh!

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
Re: Mr Crowley's WRX Wagon, long time no see...
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2015, 07:59:09 am »
Long time no see. Life's been busy lately and not a lot of time to work on the car/post. Had a chance to do some much needed wheel bearing maintenance. My my, look at the heat discolouration!

Working at an industrial shop does have it's advantages!

That's all for now. Minty new Japanese bearings! Now for the other 3 wheels....

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
Re: Mr Crowley's WRX Wagon, now with 75% less grinding.
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 09:56:02 pm »
Feeling good about the car for the first time in awhile. About 20,000 km's ago I swapped a failed clutch out for and OEM style Exedy clutch with the "HD" in the part number. At that time I wrestled the transmission off the car with great distress and swapped the clutch and wrestled the thing back on with just as much stress. Didn't have a whole lot of confidence that something wasn't going to explode when I started it. It started and I drove away that day with a sense of accomplishment. That feeling was short lived as I now had the infamous clutch chatter. When I installed that clutch I was under the distinct impression that lightweight parts were the reason for the chatter. This is why I didn't install a lightweight flywheel. Yet I failed to avoid the chatter. So I did even more research and found that there are many theories about the nature of the chatter. Bad pilot bearings, wobbly throw-out bearing on a worn snout, bad gearboxes etc.. but no one single confirmed answer. So I lived with the chatter, from what I gathered it was a noise that caused no mechanical issues.

Fast forward 20,000 km's and I'm miserable about the car. I hate the chatter, it's annoying to the point where I don't do any engine braking. Not even lightly as I can't stand the grindy sound that is the chatter.

Then another noise started. This time it doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out, Accel or decel. It's a new grinding noise that's directly tied to the speed the car is travelling. Faster speed, faster grind. That makes the noise tied to something that always rotates while rolling. Wheel bearings, CV axles, drive shaft, rear diff and the transaxle  part of the transmission. So after wiggling a few wheels I found one seemed to have a looser than nominal hub bearing. As my last post stated I did find one worn out pitted race while swapping all 4 bearings. I jumped in my car and the grinding persisted....Damn. Happy I changed and obviously bad bearing but wish the noise went with it.

So I spent sometime checking under the car on stands checking the drive shaft, CV's and Diff. Turns out the noise was coming pretty confidently from the  transmission. So I thought, maybe I can kill two bird with one stone. New (to me) transmission for the constant grinding and a second chance at the chatter. Not to mention I had some Group - N engine mounts and a timing belt kit to do as I was rolling about 100,000 km's since the last belt.

Time for a big job. I bought a transmission from Hilux out of Winnipeg (Thanks again for the quick shipping and sending me a working tranny) and ordered a snout kit and new pilot bearing. I figured that another install done with care in my industrial shop with every tool under the sun, I might get rid of that saddening chatter.

Like a true fool. I decided that one weekend ought to be enough to pull an engine and swap motor mounts, do a timing kit, swap a pilot bearing, install a different transmission and sleeve the snout. I'm sure there's a better expression but the closest I got is that my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Almost.

So Friday I ripped and tore. Spent my evening wondering if pulling the engine was overkill as I could do the timing belt in the car. There truly is lots of room once the rad is out. However, I wanted to do the mounts and check for oil leaks etc. As well as do the clutch stuff.

Saturday it turns out having the engine out made it a lot easier to drill and tap one of the idler holes when the threads decided to come out with the bolt.  :sarcasm: I ended up doing a panic trip to my buddies workplace to find the M8 x 1.25 heli coil kit for the repair. Not to mention my heart being crushed as we followed the Subaru service manual step by step only to have the drivers side cams spin when we pulled the old belt off. Then reading the "WARNING" in the manual that says your valves are totally F-ed if this happens. Luckily a couple of guys at my shop were working Saturday and used to be auto mechanics. They just laughed at me and said it was "probably" fine. I felt 1% better and moved on. Belt was on, took plugs out to se if each individual cylinder could build air pressure and they passed. Then put plugs in and checked the case breather while rolling it over to confirm that no overlap had been caused by the spiny cams.

So the second time I've slid a transmission on this engine I was a pro. I used our 10 TON crane side loaded to pull the top of the engine back towards the rear of the car. This made sliding the transmission on aligned perfectly not only fast but so smooth I didn't believe my spotter up top when he said it was on tight. Yay, finally a win.

Sunday was spent filling oil, connecting drive shaft, CV axles, installing exhaust, and reconnecting about 100 things I regretted taking off. It was nice to have a chance to get anit-sieze on every single bolt and re organize wiring and lines. The big moment came and I was ready to turn the key. With a little sweat beading down my forehead I turned the key and the starter clicked loudly and it seemed like the battery died. Seems I had an electrical demon. Damnit. I hooked up a wall powered battery booster and it started no issue. WTF, my battery is dead after sitting on the table for three days? Never had any issues with it before. Seemed odd, so i asked one of the old auto mechanics what he thought and he suggested that I may have crushed the top cell of my battery by over tightening the tie down. OK, that seemed weird but I am game to explore that. He offered to give me an extra battery that he was gifted for his boat project. I said "Ok" and he gave me his extra yellow top! Sweet, not just any battery but a substantial upgrade over the Canadian Tire special that was leaking acid all over my engine bay.

While installing this brand new battery I noticed that the AC pump plug was half plugged in.....hmm..Could this be the true cause of my mysterious electrical ghost? One will never know. Jumped back in and viola, car is purring like a beached whale again. Take it for a test drive and the output grind is GONE, the clutch chatter is almost non-existent. I really have to try to cause chatter now. It does happen but it's dramatically reduced and I can totally live with it now as it doesn't sound nearly as violent as the original issue. Pretty freakin stoked to be driving around a normal not crappy sounding car again.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2015, 09:17:31 am »
Awesome. Congrats on all the work.

I had the same Chatter that drove me absolutely uckfaying NUTZ!!!

I too did the snout sleeve kit. Upon pulling the engine, it was clear that my snout had pretty deep groves so the snout sleeve was much needed. I concur, it reduces it to 90%. It persists a little bit but uckfay me am I glad it isn't as bad as it used to be.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2015, 11:34:11 am »
Hilux is great!  Glad everything worked out for you!

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2015, 05:57:52 pm »
The start of my sub frame repair. I cut it out years back like a complete hack because I was installing headers in a back alley and was running out of time. Some things never change. Either way I welded/grinded/sandblasted the sub and it's ready for primer and paint.

The hole...

Crappy but successful weld

Ground to smooth out the look

Sand blasted and ready to paint.

Will post a better pic once it's done being painted.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2016, 03:45:10 pm »
Wow, it has been a long time......"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic." No, I'll just post right here automated message thingy.

Awhile back I had this bright Idea that since I was a fantaboulous Millwright, and that there is nothing I can't make. LOL. So my car has some front end minor clunking that I think is sway bar related and I decided I would buy some polyurethane rod stock and machine bushings out of it myself.

I had these lying around after I pressure Asstuna into selling them to me many moon ago. They are for a sedan and I would need to modify them to work with the wagon. Lower bolt on the wagon is 8mm instead of the sedans 10mm one.

So machining something that is not metal but a giant ball of gooey rubber band turned out much more difficult than I thought. go figure. Had to improvise some tooling for the lathe. Turns out you basically need to make a super stiff exacto blade cutter. High rake and relief angles.

Even after I made a tool that didn't melt/mush/tear up the poly I still had a tough time getting an acceptable (for me) finish.

Basically, If I dwell at all. Even for a split second you get a rough texture. It was supper easy to make fast long passes over the length, but when you try to get an accurate and small pass it balls up before you can start cutting along the axis. I think I have a good Idea of a tool shape that could eliminate that issue for next time, but at this point did not have the time nor patience to make one. No biggie in this case. The rough stuff is cosmetic mainly and I can fix that for the next bushings.

Once I had an idea about how to get some cuts going I made the 4 bushing halves and test fit them. I also test fit them on the car and while torquing down the bolts. I then decided to make the spacers that are typically on the inside of most poly bushings as it is possible to endlessly tighten bolts into poly as it squishes infinitely. Haha. I would need material to make spacers and we don't carry much metal stock at the shop...hmm...Bolts! Lathes are fun. 1/2" Coated grade 8 bolts will make great coated 8mm bushing spacers.

Tighten those onto the car and voila new/used endlinks.

Now for the bar mounts themselves. Been racking my brain for weeks cause i feel it's going to be a hellish challenge. Anyways, that's it for today.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2016, 04:16:38 pm »
Man, you shouldn't get stuck for hours watching this dude's videos:

If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2016, 04:23:03 pm »
Man, you shouldn't get stuck for hours watching this dude's videos:

Haha, already watched it. Some of it is pretty cool.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2016, 04:43:30 pm »
Just hose it down with cold water while you machine it, maybe even stick it in the freezer first? That would stiffen it up.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline jakesubie

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1990 240sx
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2016, 06:46:12 pm »
turned out pretty good. as a machinist i can definitely relate to how fun it is to machine polyurethane.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2016, 01:02:39 pm »
Homemade bushings on a lathe are super cool.

If I had to do that, I would probably end up making some horrible abomination with liquid windo-weld and trying to hold the crush tube in the middle of it with some ghetto-fabulous cardboard jig.

Offline Mr Crowley

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:23 am »
Homemade bushings on a lathe are super cool.

If I had to do that, I would probably end up making some horrible abomination with liquid windo-weld and trying to hold the crush tube in the middle of it with some ghetto-fabulous cardboard jig.

I bet they'd have turned out smoother had I done it that way.