Author Topic: Bars, Pedals, or Brake Rotors  (Read 2048 times)

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
Bars, Pedals, or Brake Rotors
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:36 am »
This may seem like an obvious choice for some but not for me. I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my pedals, bar or get a larger front disc and then just move the current front disc to the back(including required mounts). I only have about $100 to spend so I can't afford to do everything and when it comes to bars, am I right in guess thing that it is mainly personal preference with the rise and sweep?

Thoughts, advice?
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
Re: Bars, Pedals, or Brake Rotors
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:59:28 pm »
What do you have right now?

I doubt any of those things would be a "noticeable" upgrade, depending on the terrain you ride.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Spencer-jdm

• Patchy Faced
  • sans kidney stones since 94
  • Ride: gc
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »
What type of riding do you do? xc,dh or freeride all mountain type stuff? bigger rotors you wont notice much unless your'e hard on them all the time and fading the pads out. Pedals always are a good bet, especially for anything steeper/faster. Handle bars if you are getting sore wrists/back. More sweep apparently more backsweep is better for wrist posture, but having broken both of my wrists riding I had to change to an almost straight bar. think it was like 4 degrees haha
Spotted Count-1
"Thinks to myself, I need more obnoxious and loud parts to make spot count go up. BINGO"

Build thread http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=28538.0

Offline Way-do

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Focus ST
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:57:38 am »
I'll vote pedals on this one.  Are you a platform or clipless kinda guy?

Or keep saving for a better wheel set.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 05:29:56 pm »
I'm a platform kind of guy and I ride mainly all mountain since I'm up in Fort Mac. But When I have access to it, the steeper faster stuff. I ride a Giant Reign X2. I'm a big guy so I'm a little hard on the brakes. I definitely noticed brake fade when I was riding Silver Star and Revy last summer so that's why I was thinking larger rotors.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:06:53 pm »
Do you have the Hayes Strokers on it? If so, you probably just need new brake fluid to stop that fade. Some quality DOT4 or DOT 5.1.

I found on my Hayes brakes that they'd tend to fade easily after only 3 or 4 months, and fresh fluid fixed it every time.

Offline Spencer-jdm

• Patchy Faced
  • sans kidney stones since 94
  • Ride: gc
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »
I always had issues with hayes strokers, they're a pain for everything. Not trying to tell you to ditch whatever you have but I am and was a firm believer in avid products. my juicy seven's were the best breaking system and cost next to nothing im sure by now. If you can go with 5.1 dot fluid, higher boiling point and less susceptible to hydroscoping. ie, brakes will feel stronger, longer. As for pedals, I had block 8 thin profile for both my DH and park bikes, Aboslutely loved those pedals with adjustable set screws. They tear for shoes/shins up if you slip them but they're hard to slip off. What do you think you need most? brakes are important as water in a shower, pedals help for speed and safety while riding hard. Bars for if your uncomfortable after riding!
Spotted Count-1
"Thinks to myself, I need more obnoxious and loud parts to make spot count go up. BINGO"

Build thread http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=28538.0

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:55:31 pm »
I have Avid Elixir 3s on it. I think I'll just run DOT 5.1 and just try that for now. I looked at my finances a bit more and I can't really afford anything right now but thanks for all of your input.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:46:29 pm »
The Avid Elixirs are good. Hayes are truly awful.

Try the brake fluid - maybe do your car at the same time. When I did my bike I used ~30mL, and had a butt ton of brake fluid left over.

Offline Way-do

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Focus ST
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 02:13:27 pm »
+1 for elixers. I have elixir 7 carbons on the Stumpy and they are terrific. The older 3s and 5s don't modulate as well, and have a poorer design on master cyl.

What rotors/size do you have?

As for pedals, I run Wellgo MG1 platforms and they are fantastic. Super grippy and one of the lightest steel spindle pedals around. They have them at BOW under a rebrand for around $75.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 10:03:44 pm »
I have 180 up front and 160 in the back. I'll eventually get 200/203 in the front and move the 180 to the rear. Yeah, I've found the modulation to be pretty limited, but then again I wasn't expecting much from the 3s. They work, but I'll eventually upgrade those when I can afford it.

Thanks for the info on the rebranded MG1s Way-do. I'll check them out at Bow on my way to Banff next week.

On that note, anyone want to meet up and ride some trails in the Banff area next week (13-17)?