Author Topic: FS Rules  (Read 10415 times)

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
FS Rules
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:09 pm »
I'm going to renew my suggestion for actual FS rules since the original thread is unbumpable. I don't think we need the mods to police the FS section, as I don't want to make their lives even busier or more difficult, but I do think it's perfectly reasonable to require some minimum components to be present in any FS thread. I think all FS threads should have reasonable information on the part being sold, seller information (like location), a price or price estimate, and pictures. There shouldn't be any of this "email me for pictures" or "PM me for price" ullbayitshay.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
Re: FS Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:23:51 pm »
also, some forums like beyond don't let you post an ad until you have a certain number of posts. something to maybe consider, although i'm not against people using the forum to sell parts as long as they're a decent ad like amby said.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:25:06 pm »
also, some forums like beyond don't let you post an ad until you have a certain number of posts. something to maybe consider, although i'm not against people using the forum to sell parts as long as they're a decent ad like amby said.

That's been looked at and show down IIRC. I think we just need something like Beyond's FS template... None of this throwing up a kijiji ad and never coming back.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:41 pm »
Having a minimum post requirement works, but can also backfire. It can prevent people from posting legitimate FS ads even if they've been a member for years just because they're not post orewhays, or it can encourage post orwhaying. On sites that use that format, mods have to watch new members to check what they're posting otherwise the protection offered by the minimum requirement disappears.

I don't mind people signing up just to post a FS or WTB thread, but lately some of the ads have been ridiculous. Key information is lacking and sellers have to be prodded and coaxed to post things that are relevant to any buyer. If you can't take the time to make a real ad at the time you post, you shouldn't be allowed to use WSC to sell your crap. If you expect people to email you or text/PM you for a price, you should stick to kijiji.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »
Having a minimum post requirement works, but can also backfire. It can prevent people from posting legitimate FS ads even if they've been a member for years just because they're not post orewhays, or it can encourage post orwhaying. On sites that use that format, mods have to watch new members to check what they're posting otherwise the protection offered by the minimum requirement disappears.

I don't mind people signing up just to post a FS or WTB thread, but lately some of the ads have been ridiculous. Key information is lacking and sellers have to be prodded and coaxed to post things that are relevant to any buyer.

i totally agree, thats definitely a tough choice. for the most part, it seems like the 0 post people are just dropping a ittshay ad and saying "email me", but there are legit ads too. i guess the post requirement would just make unnecessary work for the mods in the end

there should be a defined set of rules though, I totally agree with that. if your ad sucks and doesn't actually give any info about what is being sold it should be taken down cause it has 0 use.

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '18 Golf R
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:37:39 pm »
While I was enjoying you rip that last FS thread apart because, once again, "Yo, buy my stuff /kijiji link/" was abundant, I was thinking to make a post like this.

A minimum post might be a far stretch, as stated post orewhay galore.

Hasn't there been the idea of a FS Mod only tossed around?
Kyle
NEL's Build
I don't care if people want to sell used dildos on here as long as they provide useful information for sex toy aficionados.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:36 pm »
Yes, more than a year ago. It was stated that it was being worked on and we should watch for a sticky.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:41:07 pm »
While I was enjoying you rip that last FS thread apart because, once again, "Yo, buy my stuff /kijiji link/" was abundant, I was thinking to make a post like this.

A minimum post might be a far stretch, as stated post orewhay galore.

Hasn't there been the idea of a FS Mod only tossed around?

who's post orewhay galore?

i like the idea of a Member Marketplace mod, takes some weight off of the other mods shoulders.

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:49:19 pm »
I was saying that people who want to sell something but have to meet a certain criteria ie min. 5 posts will spam 5 different pages and then post a ittshay FS ad.
I wasn't calling anyone a post orewhay....yet.

Also, for those wondering where this year old post is
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=27062.25
Kyle
NEL's Build
I don't care if people want to sell used dildos on here as long as they provide useful information for sex toy aficionados.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:28 pm »
I'd also like to raise the issue of locking threads. 

For those who are just on the forum, with minimal posts, to sell things (legitimately), they won't return to their thread or the forum once their parts are sold.  They're kind enough to inform us that things are sold, but they won't know to lock it. 

And then there are others who are not aware that they can, and expected to lock their own threads, despite reading through (or not) the Rules. 

I'm all for this power in the poster's hand, but if we do introduce a Marketplace Mod, should another responsibility include locking threads for those that have been missed?
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 01:30:49 pm »
Amby for FS Mod 2013!

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:48:20 pm »
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline bris

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
Does this forum support tracking how many pages/posts a person has viewed?

Person signs up, tries to make a For Sale post  and hasn't viewed ANY threads, "sorry, you don't have permission to post this.  Please try later" Don't say why, most people are going to be reading SOME threads before they post something on a forum.

If they view maybe 30-40 threads, let them post, who gives a itshay if some guy cross posting his ittshay curber can't post it here?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:12 pm »
I've seen some forums make you read the rules, then answer questions on them during sign-up. Or before posting in certain sections.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »
I've seen some forums make you read the rules, then answer questions on them during sign-up. Or before posting in certain sections.
People have a hard enough time posting in the right section, lets not toss a Q&A into it as well. Then no one would join!
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »
People have a hard enough time posting in the right section, lets not toss a Q&A into it as well. Then no one would join!

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »
Not needed at this time.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 05:27:44 pm »
Price(s), pictures, description, location, whether seller will ship it and contact information should be mandatory.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:35 am »
Price(s), pictures, description, location, whether seller will ship it and contact information should be mandatory.

this. 

we need FS rules,

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »
I do not believe pictures are necessary [for most things]. "I have a Keyless entry module, PN: xxxxxAE020" or "5x100 Gold BBS's, new Continental Tires, $1200". For something less usual, a link to the manufacturers website should suffice.

Photos would be very useful when dealing with unusual items or parts subject to wear, but not that's up to the seller.
In the end, I believe photos shall be strongly encouraged but not mandatory.

Caution must be maintained when trying to mandate more specific contact information as to not contravene those FOIP laws. However, I agree that a basic location shall be mandatory.

I think the current FS thread functions quite well 90% of the time. Sure, there will be someone posting "I'm thinking about selling this one shiny dull bit in my car, anyone interested? PM me with an offer".
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 01:08:54 pm »
How do FOIP laws apply here? This is a forum that people choose to join. Nobody is required to sell parts on here. FOIP only applies to public bodies, it is explicitly stated that

The FOIP Act does not apply to private businesses, non-profit organizations or professional regulatory organizations operating in Alberta

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »
I dont think pictures are mandatory, but of course, they'll help with the sale.

The rest of it, yes.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 03:40:36 pm »
Every for sale on here that doesn't have pictures never seems to go anywhere. Same goes for Kijiji ads. Like everyone said, they help. A lot.
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 04:33:16 pm »
Didn't have pictures for a bunch of my stuff... didn't stop it from selling.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 04:35:14 pm »
Every for sale on here that doesn't have pictures never seems to go anywhere. Same goes for Kijiji ads. Like everyone said, they help. A lot.
This is true, however, isn't that the seller's problem?

Maybe we should just make FS threads cost money. Then people would make sure not to waste the post. ;D
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~