Author Topic: Nicks 2009 WRX Hatchback  (Read 6892 times)

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
  • '09 wrx Hatchback (non-265)
Nicks 2009 WRX Hatchback
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:38:40 am »
Hey, all!

So, After much discussion with helpful members, sometime today or this week I'm going to pull the trigger on ordering some parts. (Open to some last second discussion.) My goal right now is to convert my daily driver into something more fun to wake up to in the morning, with a long-term goal of using the vehicle as a rally vehicle (about 2 years time.)

Last week, after getting the tint done (which I'm REALLY happy about), I set up an appointment for the 27th of May for some car audio installs, as I can't stand not being able to experience songs with limited frequency range. After much debating mentally about whether to get an aftermarket full screen deck to fill the whole void where the stock stereo is, I decided on a conventional size deck that had everything I wanted (Bluetooth, front USB plug-in for streaming from phone+charging at same time). On top of that, I'm installing a small amp, a 10" sub with box, and some clarion coax speakers to replace the stock door speakers.

COBB 3" SS Quad-Tip Catback Exhaust
COBB 3" SS Downpipe
COBB AccessPORT
K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake - Red
Denso IKH20 Sparkplugs
TD04 turbo (for now)

Hawk HPS  Front HB432F.661
Hawk HPS  Rear HB557F.545                                                                                                                                                                                                     
StopTech Cryo-Stop Rotors Rear
StopTech Cryo-Stop Rotors Front
Techna-Fit Braided Brake Lines

Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks Combo 
Whiteline BSR49XXZ 24mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar (soft)
Whiteline BSF30XZ 24mm Adjustable Front Sway Bar (medium)

COBB 5-Speed Rear Shifter Bushing
COBB 5-Speed Shift Knob
COBB Double Adjustable Shifter

Pioneer deck with lots of stuff
Clarion door speaker replacements
Clarion amp
Pioneer 10" sub comes with speaker enclosure

Winter: Enkei RC-G4 15x7 Gold wheels with Kumho KW22 195/65/R15 rubber.
Summer: We will see.

All around tint
Rally Armor mudflaps.

And finally here is a few more pictures to get the thread started:

Sorry about the hazy pictures, for some reason outdoor pictures on my Galaxy always come out like that. I'll figure it out one day. (fixed, there was dust behind the lens where you have to totally dismantle phone to get at with q-tip)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Nicks 2009 WRX Hatchback
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:26 am »
Seems like you have your mods down pat. Personally, I would skip the braided lines (having done them myself). Aside from being a pain in the assay, I've seen them replaced more often than worn out OEM lines.

Also, posts in the "Introduce yourself" section don't count towards the post count.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:42:48 am »
All brake stuffs on it's way, plus a Touge t-shirt! Rest of the stuff on back order like end links, cat-back and shifter. More to come.

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:58:37 pm »
Got the brakes done, and new sparkplugs, just because. Had problems getting the brake system to pressurize because we accidentally switched the calipers left/right when we took them over to the bench to clean up a little. Because of this, the bleed nipples were facing down causing an impossible-to-bleed-out air pocket. We only took the wheels off and put it on blocks and back again...what, 5 times today? Gah! lol.

Had to jack the engine off the mounts to get at one spark plug on the drivers-side. Big thanks to Funk32-David and patient wife for all the great help! Looking forward to installing some suspension and power parts!

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:03:28 pm »
Haha yup my fault for not checking the calipers when I put them back on, but I'm glad we were able to sort it out.

Offline richie_rich

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 Airboy Stage 2 SWP WRX
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:25:00 pm »
Nice work, looks like a solid mod list so far!

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:01:16 am »
After a few days of driving since switching from the oem NGK plugs to the Bosch +4 platinum's, it feels obvious that there's a lack of power from 3500 rpm-->up. Just ordered a new set of 4, will be switching back soon before dyno at an undetermined (hopefully soon) date.

EDIT: I guess I should explain the reason for having Bosch plugs in the first place. I picked up a pack of NGK's from NAPA parts, got the old plugs out, compared the two, and the replacements I got from NAPA were .044 gap instead of .032, and I don't blame them, because when you go to NGK's site, they recommend these:
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9871 , massive gap.

So I returned the large gap NGK's, and they didn't have any .032 gap NGK plugs. So because I was impatient at the time, and I already had the old plugs out, I went to Partsource and they didn't have the .032 NGK's, so I grabbed the Bosch +4 Platinums and put them in. Shorter threads, so already I knew something wasn't going to feel the same. They had mixed reviews online in peoples Subarus, so I thought: whatever, try 'em out.

What's in my car now:
http://www.boschautoparts.com/sparkplugs/pages/platinum4.aspx (switched since to Denso IKH20)

I ordered these: http://www.tougetuning.com/store/ngk-lfr7aix-iridium-spark-plugs-pack-20062013-subaru-wrx-p-780.html?cPath=80_82_86_95_150_414 for right before dyno test. (Sold these, too cold for my application atm)

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33:04 pm »
Just a couple more pictures since I was in the mood today.

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:57:34 pm »
My new life and job in Calgary is a busy one, so I'll be getting all the power parts installed at Vex and tuned next day by Airboy. Car will be in the shop 19th, 20th and 21st. Can't do many fun pictures that way, so I guess my next post will be about the service experience at Vex and Dyno readout. Wish me luck!

Edit: Here are some pre-installation pics:

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 08:33:05 pm »
So, here's the dyno results. I was surprised it was low, but I was also surprised to find out that my 2009 wrx had the small TD04 turbo and not the VF52 Turbo that comes in the 265's. Time to start shopping!

Dyno, loving the exhaust rumble.

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:49 pm »
Wow, what a great tune. The power kicks it way earlier than before, and is more sustained and even throughout gears. I have to say, that at ~209 whp, with Sunnys tune, I'm very happy. Moreover, I noticed on my way into work this morning that at 110 kmh, I'm cruising at lower rpm (~2750 vs. ~3100 from before). A nice bonus! The new rear shifter bushings make a noticeable difference as well, you really feel like the shift is into a well machined slot each time. Happy customer!

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 05:16:00 am »
A few more pictures.

I hate looking at that intercooler.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 06:20:20 pm »
Car's looking healthy.  Can't wait to get mine tuned.

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Nicks 2009 WRX Hatchback - Rally Armors + Winter Rubber (and wheels)
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 02:04:18 pm »
Just an update.

A few might remember when I was asking around if these wheels fit over the OEM calipers. Turns out they do, with just a few minor mods to the brake line and wheel balancing weights.

"Enkei RC-G4 wheels provide impact resistance, high rigidity, low weight, and maximized brake cooling for gravel rally competition. Designed to clear group N brake calipers."

Added Kumho KW22 195/65/R15 winter rubber.

Also changed out transmission fluid and gear oil was I was in there. Added Redline75w90NS tranmission fluid and Motul gear300 differential fluid.

Added black with white writing Rally Armour mudflaps.

Noticed timing belt was getting close to needing a change, but a few more months wouldn't hurt. Not sure if I'll do anything until spring now besides timing belt. Car is at 93000 KMS.

Next on the list is a slight suspension upgrade and summer wheels/rubber, then vf-52 swap. TMIC if I can save enough. It sure rides nice and soft on those tires.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 02:09:37 pm »
I noticed on my way into work this morning that at 110 kmh, I'm cruising at lower rpm (~2750 vs. ~3100 from before). A nice bonus!

Not to get picky, but this is actually impossible.  Cruising rpm is determined by gearing of the transmission, final drive, and tire OD, it has nothing to do with the tune.
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 02:17:49 pm »
Its called, buttdyno effect. :)

Offline rveedub

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: VF52 Fail-Hatch
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »
Nice car man!

I was surprised to read that your '09 has a TD04.  Whats up with that?  Must have been a very early model or something?  I did a lot of research in this area and I didn't run into anything that said a version of the '09 had the TD04.

I can tell you, I did the VF52 swap on my '08 and Airboy tune, I wish I had done that before spending a dime on anything else.  It's night and day.  The TD04 comes on a bit earlier but absolutely dies, though it doesn't look too bad on your dyno chart.  VF52 pulls to the end.  Lastly be wary of rebuilt VF52s.  Someone on the forums bought one from 6star and it looks like they had to swap it out again later (I believe it was Chemtek).  I looked into it and decided to buy a brand new one.  They do come up used every once in a while but they go really, really quickly so you have to be on the ball if you're going that route.

Good luck!

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 06:44:05 pm »
Great wheel choice!

Nice car man!

I was surprised to read that your '09 has a TD04.  Whats up with that?  Must have been a very early model or something?  I did a lot of research in this area and I didn't run into anything that said a version of the '09 had the TD04.
In Canada, the 2009 had two models: the WRX 224 and the WRX 265. The 224 (which came in manual and automatic in Canada, and only automatic in the US, and was called the "Impreza GT") has the TD04.

I believe it may also have some other things that differentiate itself from the WRX265 - possibly it has the same suspension tuning, sucky motor mounts, etc as the '08. The easiest way to tell from afar is that the 224 has silver wheels while the 265 has dark grey ones and that the 265 grille badge says that it is a 265.

Offline rveedub

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: VF52 Fail-Hatch
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 10:02:43 am »
Great wheel choice!
In Canada, the 2009 had two models: the WRX 224 and the WRX 265. The 224 (which came in manual and automatic in Canada, and only automatic in the US, and was called the "Impreza GT") has the TD04.

I believe it may also have some other things that differentiate itself from the WRX265 - possibly it has the same suspension tuning, sucky motor mounts, etc as the '08. The easiest way to tell from afar is that the 224 has silver wheels while the 265 has dark grey ones and that the 265 grille badge says that it is a 265.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that some '09s were 224, I've never seen or heard of one.  I thought they were all 265 and only the '08s were 224.  Anyway's Nick, I highly recommend doing the swap and tune asap! 

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Nicks 2009 WRX Hatchback - First Sticker
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:29 pm »