Author Topic: Jukka's Bugeye - The end of an era......  (Read 33468 times)

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
Jukka's Bugeye - The end of an era......
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »
Figured it's about time I updated the front page of this to better reflect where my car is and where it came from.

I picked up my 2002 WRX back in Ontario in the spring of 2013, after dreaming of owning a WRB Bugeye since I first saw one when I was 16 at the Toronto International Autoshow.

I found the car through a friend of a friend who was a tech and owned the car for about 4 years before he decided to sell it. The first time I saw the car, I fell in love with it. This was the first picture I took of it when I went for my test drive.

After driving it, I decided to pull the trigger on it and picked it up a week later.

The car was fairly stock when I bought it, just had some basic upgrades (TEIN coilovers, Rota Boost wheels, Borla Catback, Swaybar endlinks, and a aftermarket stereo)

I vowed to my self that with this car, I was going to build it right and with only quality parts along the way. It's been almost 3 years in so far, and I've stuck true to my vow.

The car has gone through some big changes over the last few years, but there's still more on the horizon. 2016 is going to be a big year for the car.

Some teaser shots of what to expect:

Current mods **UPDATED**:
Interior
V8 USDM STI front seats
V7 STI Gauge cluster
V7 STI Steering wheel
04 WRX Black door cards, and rear seat
LED interior bulbs
LED Trunk Light
COBB shiftknob and shifter bushings
Spray-On Boom-Mat trunk
Blacked out interior (pillars, headliner, lamps with tinted lenses)
Top-Gaiter leather with blue stitching shift boot
STI Shifter Trim
OEM Extended Arm Rest
Kenwood DPX500BT Headunit with custom mounted microphone
Diamond Audio 6.5" component speakers in the front doors, diamond 5.25 co-axial speakers in the rear doors
Custom Molded 10" subbox with Diamond Audio Micro-1 Mini Amp
Carbon Clock-Pod with Autometer Boost gauge, water temp and AEM Wideband

Exterior
JDM V7 STI aluminum hood and scoop
"STI" side marker deletes
JDM 1-Piece front grill
OEM 3-Piece front and rear optional lips
Customized OEM JDM HID Projector Headlights with LightWerkz harness, and DIY leveling switch harness
GTSpec STI Foglight grills/OEM Impreza Foglight Covers
Grimmspeed Antenna Delete plate
OEM STI Rear Fender Flares (not installed yet)
JDM V8 STI tail lights
JDM STI Spec-C roof vent
17x8 Rota Boost w/ 225/45R17 Kumho Ecsta PA31 tires

Suspension/Brakes
HSD Monopro Coilovers
Group-N Endlinks
Super Pro Poly Swaybar Mount bushings (rear)
Whiteline Poly swaybar mount bushings (front)
Whiteline Rear trailing arm bushings (front and rear)
Kartboy Differential Outrigger bushings (grey)
STI Titanium Strut Tower Bar (refinished)
E-bay Rear Strut Tower Bar
Russel Stainless Steel brakelines
H6 Rear Brake Conversion
Perrin master cylinder brace
OEM Swaybar mount upgrade
Rebuilt OEM calipers

Performance
OEM Airbox with K&N drop in filter
MotoGP silencer bypass
ARC Super Induction Box (currently un-installed)
Trust Power Extreme II Exhaust
Invidia Catless Bellmouth Downpipe wrapped with DEI Titanium heatwrap
COBB Heatsheild
OEM STI Up-pipe
Perrin Turbo inlet
COBB Post-Maf Hose
Whiteline Positive Shift Kit
Megan "Group-N" Transmission mount
COBB Accesport - Stage 2 OTS tune
Group-N motor mounts
Killer-B EJ20 Only oil-pickup and windage tray

Dress-up Stuff
Killer-B Rad Shroud and Alternator Shroud
Rally Tech Stainless Bolt Kit
DIY Intercooler grill
"Cusco" Battery Tie Down

more parts to come....

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: Jukka's Bugeye DD build
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:56 pm »
Nice to meet you last night, and welcome.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:27:20 pm »
If you're around Calgary still. I've got the STI corner markers just sitting in my garage. They were on my car for a while so the glue doesn't hold anymore, but you can have em for $20. They're the carbon-looking ones.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:36:32 pm »
Welcome! I moved from Burlington last September, and miss Ontario every single day. What's your field of work?

Why not wait till you move out here to do the downpipe? Stage 1, then Stage 2 or protune when you get here - that way you'll be nicely tuned for the thin atmosphere here too..  I love the sound of my Invidia UP, DP and Q300 catback! :D
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »
I'm trying to get into policing, but have a history of working in automotive, both as a tech and in parts. I'm actually working in parts right now back in ON.

I'm holding off on the DP right now mainly for the reason of if I move out here, I heard that they are way more relaxed out here about emissions than back in ON. Not gonna be worth while to spend the extra $ on getting a catted DP when I won't need it when I move out here.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:22 pm »
Great to meet you today.

Good luck with the interviews.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:47:53 pm »
Thanks! It was nice to meet you too!

Well thanks to Zaider, I have some more fun-stuff for the Scooby when I get home.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:28 pm »
Back in Toronto again *sigh*, but it means I'm back with my car. Been home a little over 48 hours and already did some work on the car. So my drivers side front door speaker hasn't been working since I bought my car, so I decided to figure out why.

Pulled my door panel off and found that 1. I had some aftermarket Sony speakers in there already.

and 2. the reason is wasn't working was there was a ghetto harness made up for the speaker that wasn't making full contact, and the contacts on it where corroded pretty badly.

So i made up my own harness with proper clips, heat shrink and good quality wire

I took out my center section of the dash and painted it black, just because the silver was all scratched up and looked like assay before..

Also, while I was out there, I bought a Moto GP Elbow off JellyNuts, and some STI fender marker covers from Zaider, so I installed them too. No pics of the Moto GP install, but love being able to hear the turbo spool more and hearing the BPV too.
But got a few pics of the STI fender marker covers.

Also gonna be doing some other mods in the next few days,

Perrin Crank Pulley, replace intercooler hoses with silicone ones (mine are getting really hard and looks like they might crack, so I'm picking up some silicone ones for cheap) Acessport (probably within the next 2 weeks), 04/05 taillights, and maybe some foglight covers (depending on what I can find in the scrap yard later this week), and an up-pipe.

ALSO!, I've made the choice 100% that I'll be heading out in August to move there. So I should be out early to mid August. I can't wait to get out to Calgary again and move away from Toronto. I'll keep everyone posted on whats happening and where I am.

Bryan

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 02:16:47 pm »
another quick update. The other day I went out and poked around the car to see if there was any issues I may have to look into soon/deal with.

Found a few minor issues. First I found was my turbo inlet pipe was ripped right at the turbo.

Second thing I found was my diff had a small leak, gonna be changing my diff fluid in the next couple weeks, so I'll deal with that soon. The other thing I found was I have really minimal clearance between my rear wheel and my coilovers.

There isn't enough room between the rim and shock to even fit my pinky finger. So I decided to order in some 5mm Novus Tech hubcentric spacers from my work (mainly because they are easy to get, great quality and cheap). So they will be coming in a few weeks.

Went out scrap yard hunting yesterday, found a couple wrecked imprezzas, and one wrecked WRX at one of the local scrap yards. nothing really salvageable, but managed to buy some small parts that I needed to replace (shiftboot, dash mounted cupholder, passenger side door handle trim). Was hoping for more stuff, but they all had been either picked over pretty good, or they had engine fires or been impacted in an area where I needed parts.

But I did pick up a few other parts on the way to the scrap yard or on the way home. I got a new Perrin crank pulley for $80, a new silicone Y-Pipe for the intercooler, new silicone coupler for the intercooler to the throttlebody, and because of the ripped turbo inlet, I went out and spent the $ and bought a Perrin turbo-inlet.

Fully blown apart

Back together

Also found that I had a lot of oil residue in both my inlet pipe and my original y-pipe. I've started to look into getting an air/oil separator for the car, and my buddy who actually helped me find the car, sent me a message today letting me know that he has a good link on getting me some other performance parts for cheap. He works at a scrap yard part time, and they have a wrecked 07 STI that just came in with some goodies like a Perrin FMIC, Grimmspeed A/O separator, Perrin strutbar, sway bars, full catback, aftermarket BPV, Perrin gauge holder with AEM Wideband and prosport boost gauge, etc. So hes gonna see if he can pull some stuff off it for me and get it for me for as cheap as possible.

Also getting the car ready to make the cross country trip with a ton of my stuff for when I head back out to Calgary for good in August.

Any suggestions on what I should do for preventative/upgrading to make the trip better/the car be able to handle it?? I was thinking maybe new positive shift bushings, and diff lockdown kit.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:18:49 am »

Replace the pcv valve.  Oil change.  Done :)

Edit: fixed to appease Jory

sent from my RF device using Black Magic

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:21:44 am »
did you really have to quote all those pictures? jackass.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 07:00:12 pm »
Another small update. Bought a boost gauge and autometer gauge cup from work yesterday. I didn't want to use the hard nylon hose that it came with mainly because it would have been a pain in the assay to hook up, so I also found an open package of a stewart warner boost gauge install kit (1/8npt to nipple piece, vacuum hose and t-fitting), that was missing the t-fitting, which I found in another box in the back later. So i got a full install kit for free since it was missing parts.

Anyways, I installed the gauge, replaced my ashtray light with an LED blub, and while I had the intercooler out (3rd time in about a week).
Pics:

Intercooler with new paint prior to install

All buttoned up again

I've got a couple days off later this week, so I'll be installing my crank pulley, belts, and maybe some RA mudflaps. Still debating on if I wanna start working on my skidplate right now, or next paycheque.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 09:10:28 pm »
More quick updates. Been selling a bunch of left over stuff from my Civic, so with extra income comes more parts/fun.

Installed my Perrin crank pulley, new belts, idler pulley, and changed the plugs.

Perrin Pulley vs Stock. The stock one weighs like 7lbs, the Perrin one weighs about 1.5lb. Big difference.

Also found an empty electrical connection in my trunk ziptied up out of the way. Decided to test it and found its the connection for my trunk light. So since I don't have a proper trunk light, I spent the change I had in my pocket at work, bought 2 spade connectors, and a small section of LED strip, and did the install in the parking lot of a bistro I went to with my girlfriend while she ordered. Best 5 minute mod yet.

And since I have to work all weekend, and my entire family and girlfriend and her entire family went up to cottage country for the weekend, I decided to play around a bit. Bought a can of dark gunmetal textured spraypaint from work today, and decided to do the DIY headlights. The STI fender marker covers look awesome, but don't go very well with the all silver headlights.

So I baked em, tore them apart, painted them, and put them back together.....the results

I finished them up at about 10pm tonight, which here means its pitch black out. I'll take better pictures tomorrow in the day light. I also installed my RA mudflaps too today. They make the car look so much more aggressive.

As for other parts I've been collecting, I found I can get H6 brake caliper brackets from my work for about $11 each, so I couldn't say no. I think I'll probably do the H6 conversion when I get my new brakelines and do my fluid flush.

Anyways, I'll keep posting as things come.

Bryan

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 02:38:24 pm »
Yet another quick update.

Did some more cheap/easy mods to the car. First bit I did was replaced my OEM steering wheel with a JDM V7 STI wheel. Found a crazy good deal on one in near mint condition with airbag locally and my OEM one started to peel back/rip. I think my girlfriend ripped it with her rings while she took it for half the day the other day.
Stock

V7

Super easy install. Hardest part I had was removing my factory airbag. The green spring clip snapped on the top my first time pulling it back, so I had to use a screw driver to press it down.

Installed

I might end up painting the fake allen heads with either some black or maybe WRB paint.

Also while starting to pack/clean up, I found 3 cans of Duplicolour Bronze wheel paint, so I figured I'll paint my OEM/winter wheels to make them look better. I hate silver, so this is a nice change.

AND, last thing I did was I bought a set of mesh foglight covers from a guy on the local subaru club for $20. I decided to paint them (from white and rust) to the same textured gunmetal paint I used on my headlights.

So how she sits now...its gonna get raised up a little bit on Monday just so I can make sure I have ground clearance when I head up to my cottage for the long weekend. Also will be installing my skidplate after i get a bit more ground clearance.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 03:43:31 pm »
i dig the colour of your wrx wheels, looks better than the silver imo.

also, you should try to find a replacement clip for your airbag, if it comes apart when you're car  has power it has a chance of setting of your airbag

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 04:30:09 pm »
Already fixed. The V7 wheel came with an airbag and pigtail for the clockspring side. It was only the green springloaded clip on the actual airbag side of things on my stock wheel that broke, everything else is fine. I actually had to re-do the steering wheel about 10 minutes ago because it wasn't 100% centered, and everything came apart with no issue.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »
Awesome project so far. Keep up the good work!

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 08:33:48 pm »
Small update, as per usual.
Finished up my DIY skidplate today, drilled the holes based upon a template I found online and mocked up with a chunk of cardboard. Holes lined up (mostly). I ended up making them oval with the drill bit and a rat tail file. I also sprayed it down with some left over black engine enamel. Not the best paint job, but its a skidplate..doesn't have to look pretty.

All bolted up

First real test will be this weekend when I head up to my cottage and hit some of the dirty logging roads around the area.

Also, I didn't know how rigid the chassis of the car is until today. I jacked it up on the front passenger side jacking location and I pretty much made the entire car stay up on just the rear drivers side wheel. The drivers side front wheel was off the ground just slightly.

Can't wait to get some more chassis bracing in on the car.

Also got one 10mm wheel spacer from my work, gonna try it out tomorrow afternoon at work to see if I'm gonna have enough clearance on the coilover/fender. And found out my A/C compressor is on its way out/clutch is pooched. Gonna price one out through work tomorrow and hopefully can find a re-maned one for a decent price. Always nice when I have to spend $ while trying to save/have a massive expense coming up.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 08:59:56 pm »
I ended up making them oval with the drill bit and a rat tail file.

No shame in that... That's _exactly_ how the Rallyarmor skidplate is.

Offline Fredrico

• Patchy Faced
  • So far behind, I think I'm in 1st
  • Ride: 2004 WRX
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:40 pm »
Car is looking great! keep up the good work.

You're gonna have to post up a DIY for the trunk light mod.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 11:05:51 pm »
Quick update.

Haven't had much time recently because I've been packing for the move, was out in Saskatchewan for 5 days driving around, had to deal with all of the aftermath from the flood in Toronto (my room in my parents basement got wrecked, had to cut up the carpet, rip out dry wall, throw a bunch of itshay out), and just being a generally busy guy.

Anyways, I picked up the rest of the stuff for my H6 brake conversion (Raybestos rotors and ceramic pads and H6 caliper brackets), its just sitting in my locker at work waiting for a day where I can do it/a day its not 40-48 degrees with the humidex.

While I was in Saskatchewan I left my car with my buddy and got him to install a block heaters, coolant flush, tranny fluid flush and fill with Motul, diff flush and fill with Motul, installed my COBB shifter bushings, Whiteline positive shift bushings, Wilwood 570 brake fluid and my russel stainless brake lines. Car feels sooo much better now. Much more firm and solid feeling. I think my next investment is gonna be one of the diff packages that Touge sells with the out rigger bushings, mustache bar bushings and the lockdown bolts.

Also, a few weeks ago I took my star badge off the front of the car to paint it custom colours, but it broke. So I spent $10 on a knock off Impreza I badge from Ebay. Looks pretty decent and the colour is almost the same as WRB.

and! best of all. Was driving home from my girlfriend's place and found this thing sitting out in the trash...

Had all of the instructions, hardwear, everything in it except the keys for the 2 locks, but they look easy enough to find a replacement set. What a find! I'm gonna see if I can clean it up and paint it either WRB or maybe plastidip the box black or maybe their matte blue.

Will keep you guys posted on any other mods I can do before I head out to Calgary, if not I'll post some pics from my roadtrip.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 10:34:11 pm »
So today I painted my free roof cargo box, installed my roof racks and put the box on too. Best garbage pick I've found in awhile. Found it out at the curb on trash day. All it needed was a new gasket (about $25 worth of material from crappy tire), had all the hardwear including the keys for the locks. I just painted it because I didn't like the original colour.

Found something to do with my COBB stickers

This week is a super busy week for me, have 2 going away parties, still need to start tackling my clothes for packing, our POD arrives on Tuesday and we have until Thursday to pack it, plus I'm working every day until Thursday, with the exception of tomorrow. Oh, and next weekend I'm gonna try and install my H6 brake conversion at some point. Gonna be a crazy next 9 days before the drive starts, but it'll be pretty epic.

I also picked up an app for my phone that allows me to do time lapse videos. So I'm gonna set up my phone and see if I can capture my entire drive out west in the matter of a few minutes. If there is any updates, doubt there will be, I'll post it up.

Bryan

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 03:31:20 pm »
So I'm heading out on my road trip tomorrow. I spent the day doing my last little bits of running around and work on my car. Took the roof box and racks off, they were causing my fuel economy to go down the drain. I also went out to a shop near me and bought 25L of Jungle Juice.....110 octane gas. I bought it just as a precaution that if I get low on fuel and I'm in a place somewhere in northern Ontario that only has 87 octane, I can mix it and get at least 91 Octane. So with the amount I have if I fill up with mostly 87 octane, I can use 1/3rd of the jungle juice per time..so I'll be good for 3 tanks if need be.

I finished up doing my custom grill. Bought a spare one, cut it up, put in some body filler, and painted it the same colour as my original grill with some mesh in behind it.

gonna use my OEM one with the Impreza badge as my daily grill and the mesh one for roadtrips/off roading, you'll see what I mean below.

I also installed some cheap-o driving lights I got from my work as a "going away present". They were really cheap Pilot/Bully foglights, came with a really crappy harness so they gave me a PIAA foglight harness to go with it and some weather pack connectors.

For the brackets, I had some angle aluminium, drilled a couple mounting holes into it, used some original holes in the upper rad support. The whole thing comes off with 4 nuts and bolts. That way I can remove it as needed/mount it as needed. And since it has weather pack connectors, I can tuck them away when they aren't being used. I'm also gonna mount a original subaru star badge on the front, but can't find my double sided tape, so it'll go on longer.

Well, like I said, I'm off on my road trip starting tomorrow. Going to my cottage (about 3 hours north of Toronto) for 2 days, then hitting the road form there. So I will post pictures and videos from the way there and will hopefully be at the WSC meet next Tuesday with the car.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Jukka's Bugeye - Let the cross country roadtrip being!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
The road trip has begun! We left my parents place in Toronto on Tuesday. We drove to my cottage in Britt Ontario (about 320km north of Toronto). Since we got here we have just been relaxing, gone tubing, and I did my H6 brake upgrade. Car stops fantastic now, only problem is I didn't know about the rotors needing the lip machined down, so now when I turn hard to each side I get a grinding noise. I found the solution on nasioc, but since I'm at my cottage, I have limited tools. So I'm gonna work on it again today and hopefully have it fixed before our next leg of the trip. Since I don't really have good Internet access right now, ill post pictures when I can.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: Jukka's Bugeye - Let the cross country roadtrip being!
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 11:20:41 am »
Good luck and drive safe!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube