Author Topic: KW Variant 1 Coilovers, whiteline 22mm F&R sways - 2007 Subaru STI  (Read 2595 times)

Offline yella

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2007 STI
Well early this spring I was driving, and my right rear strut began to clunk.  That being said I was some what upset as my 07 STI only had 46,000 km on it, and I was planning on finishing up my stage 3(meth, and equal length header).  So now I would have to eat into my budget, and do some suspension upgrading.

Well i began by jumping on the internet, and searching around.  Lots of options out there, and in the passed I have ran a variety of suspension systems on various vehicles.  So I decided that VEX has never led me astray, and sent the email to Ryan, and asked for some suggestions.  I have had fully adjustable suspensions before(1990 large turbo'd RX7 that was set up for drifting), and it was always a pain in the popper to make sure it was set up right.  So I opted for a system that has some adjustments, but is mostly set, and forget.  We came to the conclusion that the KW Variant 1 is what I needed. 

Of course I already had a whiteline sway bar installed, so I figured I might as well match that up with a front one, and put on some whiteline endlinks, and a rear sway bar bracket also to make sure things were nice, and strong! 

The packaging of the KW coilovers was done very well, and everything was perfectly in place when I opened the box like it is supposed to be. 

Now considering I work for a large garage(Kal Tire), and all my techs are suspension guys this would be a breeze to install.  Everything fit perfectly(well the sway bar bracket didn't at first, than I realized it was Left, and Right sided....dummy I am), but once we fixed that it went together perfectly.  Worst part was trying to figure the starting measurement for the coil overs, but with some number crunching, and great guestimating(must come from my many years of creating budgets), I got the front bang on, and rear required a minor adjustment.  I chose to leave the rebound control where it was set from the factory, and adjust as required.

The sway bars, and end links were also a breeze to install, and everything fit perfectly. 

So everything is together, and alignment is all done, test drive time! First thing I notice is how flat the car stays under cornering, and it is super responsive.  Definite improvement from stock! It feels nimble, and begging to be pushed! Next thing I notice is unlike other coilover kits I have had in the past, the ride is actual quite pleasant.  For sure it is firmer than stock, but it doesn't rattle your back molars loose when you hit a crack in the road! This was unexpected, and I couldn't be happier!

To sum it all up the KW Variant 1 coil over kit is a great buy.  You pay a little more than some of the others on the market, but for the quality of the ride I would pay that any day.  The car handles responsively, and with the lower center of gravity, and firmer sway bars you really notice the nimbleness of the car!

2007 Subaru STI Stage 3
Kal Tire Manager
Build Thread http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=40781.0

Offline ruso turisto

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 STi Hatch Stage II
Re: KW Variant 1 Coilovers, whiteline 22mm F&R sways - 2007 Subaru STI
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:16:01 pm »
Thanks for review Steve! Just got my alignment done at your shop and couldn't be happier! Too bad you weren't there to chat about subies :) The younger guy who did my alignment was very excited to see another subie from WSC member and was very enthusiastic to do a lightly modded GR, asking all sort of questions about it and of course I was more than happy to answer :) thumbs up for Steve and his shop, even though I have KalTire next door in SW and I went the extra mile to NE to make sure its done right the first time!

Sergey

Offline yella

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:43:04 pm »
glad to here!! Yea Allen loves working on Subies!!
2007 Subaru STI Stage 3
Kal Tire Manager
Build Thread http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=40781.0

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:11:55 pm »
Bump from the dead.

I've recently installed a set of KW Variant 1 coilovers on my car and thought I would just bump this thread instead of creating a new one.

Vehicle: 2006 STi
Other relevant modifications: Eibach 25mm sway bars (front and rear) with Whiteline adjustable endlinks were installed prior to the coilovers.

The quality of these coilovers is high, this cannot be argued. They are by no means the least expensive option for an entry level coilover but they had the features that I wanted that others could not provide(Stainless steal body). I'm lazy so these are going to be on the car all year with coilover sleeves to keep them clean.

As Yella mentions above, the install of these was quite easy with the proper tools. Impact wrench isn't a *must* but is definitely an asset. I just purchased a Milwaukee cordless torque wrench and this was the first real time using it. This tool made the install go quickly and without incident, no broken stuff's. I can do a review of the tool later. Not much more to add from what Yella posted about the install.

On to the ride. Compared to stock...well it's really not a fair comparison. Stock springs and struts on the GD STi I think were brought over from the leftover panzer tanks that didn't end up getting built in WW2. The V1's are firmer yet the valving makes them so much more compliant. Even with the ride height being 1 - 1 1/2" lower than stock, the ride is greatly improved on the same crap Calgary roads. I do not worry about which road I'm taking with these coils. These are very predictable on public roads(on/off ramps) when getting up/down to the speed limit. I have not been able to really push these on the street because I'd have to be a pretty big D bag to be flying around like that. Perhaps an autocross will be in order...next year. Turn in is improved, braking is improved and so is acceleration. I don't know how I lived with the stock stuff for 40,000km.

I would highly recommend these coilovers to anyone looking for a "set it and forget it" coilover. These KW engineers know a good ride. I will post winter impressions once the season is here.

"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson