Author Topic: DH mountain biking...  (Read 3047 times)

Offline dubkeith

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • Motorrad Performance
DH mountain biking...
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:27:28 pm »
I have found my new sport! (call it what you will) My girlfriend bought me a down hill mountain bike for christmas last year and i finally used it this weekend. I have walked the dog with it and road it to work a couple times, but never "used" it.

Went COP this past sunday and nearly itshay myself with how much fun it is. I've ridden motocross for a while so the jumping and turns were comfortable, but i felt like a pro. These bikes are so well suited for this terrain. Unfortunately, i'm told that COP closed the Down hill uns for the year.

Going to Kicking Horse this sunday though. I'd recommend it to anybody. check it out.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: DH mountain biking...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:40:46 pm »
Have fun, but watch out for the Rock Garden.

You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline OliverD

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:44:45 pm »
Atta boy, another DHer. I used to be hardcore at it, raced the BC circuit, nationals in whistler, etc. unreal sport but you get wrecked sometimes haha. COP closes down around now and they start planning their long snow year ahead, going to Kicking Horse i'd recommend bringing a coat/hoodie for this time of year, i hear they have snow at the top! Their new trails look unreal, finally put some good effort into their trails and it looks unreal. Also if you have the time i'd say MT 7 is worth checking out, little local secret (kinda) they have shuttle services running all day and some fun trails and an amazing view from the top! I used to ride a Santa Cruz V-10 for DH, had a block 8 journeyman for jumping but I got rid of my big bike cause it wasn't being used and needed the money, hopefully i can find a small fully one of these days and ride again

Offline pinkrobe

• Patchy Faced
  • Hung over
  • Ride: Dirty GR, Filthy Bugeye
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:45:09 pm »
dubkeith, there are a whole whack of freeriders in these parts.  Moose Mountain [SW of Bragg Creek] has some pretty cool trails, much better than the stuff at COP.  Check out http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=246 for info on what's happening locally.  Race of Spades is calling you...

Offline dubkeith

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • Motorrad Performance
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 07:44:18 am »
I'll deffenitely keep an eye out for the "rock garden".

The bike i'm on is a kona stinky, Junior Bomber front end, Hope ti6 calipers are the only upgrades. I'm super happy with the bike. I think i'll be happy on it for at least another season.

Ive heard good thinkgs about Moose Mountain. I was told you have to shuttle yourself up though??? I'd be all for that, but i'm the only one with a truck (Nissan frontier Quad cab and the 5' bed doesnt hold too many bikes). I think 5 of us are going this weekend.

That pin bike link is prett handy. I'd like to get as much riding in as possible before snow fall.

Thanks.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:49:14 am »
You don't have to shuttle Moose, but it wouldn't be much fun to ride up it on a DH rig, which is why I'm going with a Santa Cruz Nomad next year :D

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:32:37 am »
I've gone DH bikiing at Sunpeaks probably 4-5 times now.  It's absolutely amazing.  One of my friends who introduced me to the sport can't keep up with me at all.  He's actually a big chicken and won't take jumps or anything really.  Mind you the big assay jumps I stay clear from.  I like the technical stuff like "root dog" and "sugar" or "sweet one".

What an awesome sport!!

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:54:30 am »
DH is great!  I have a RM Slayer that doesn't get much trail time because I'm more of an XC rider.  The Stumpjumper is my main ride. 

I really want to get a road bike next summer.  :)

Offline lola

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 12:17:51 pm »
DH is soo much fun!  I have a stinky too, although *blush* it hasnt seen much action this summer though(or perhaps last either lol).
Another place to try is I have ridden in the crowsnest pass at this time before and its pretty fun.  Apparently they have been building more trails down there too (as when i went there were only a few that we could find).
If your up for a road trip I know that in the Interior (Rossland, Nelson, etc) you can ride practically into November, and they have wicked trails out there!

Offline pinkrobe

• Patchy Faced
  • Hung over
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 01:28:58 pm »
Panorama has apparently done a really amazing job with their trails this year.  Nice blend of DH/FR/AM, or so I'm told.

Offline dubkeith

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • Motorrad Performance
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:04 pm »
Im totally stoked for the ride this sunday. Anybody want to come with? Its too bad its 3 hours awy,but it sems no albertan resorts open the lifts for DH.  ???

Offline [j]e[f]f

• **banned**
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Stage 2 WRB 06 STi
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 11:01:33 pm »
Ive never tried downhill im more into dirt jumping and free style riding
but i ride a 07 kona stuff.

Offline dubkeith

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • Motorrad Performance
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 11:05:37 pm »
I saw some amazing talent in the freesyle section this weekend. I swear there were 12-14 year olds doing back flips, 360's etc.

Offline [j]e[f]f

• **banned**
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Stage 2 WRB 06 STi
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 11:11:19 pm »
i know a guy in my high school whos 16 and can back flip
:)
you pretty much just need to have balls to dirt jump and try that kinda stuff.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Limited, RM Slayer 50, Specialized Tarmac Comp
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:46 pm »
DH is great!  I have a RM Slayer that doesn't get much trail time because I'm more of an XC rider.  The Stumpjumper is my main ride. 

I really want to get a road bike next summer.  :)

I ride RM slayer %). Got it in '05 it's an awesome all round mountain bike. I wanna buy a road bike next summer too. I thnk me and some freinds are going to attempt to ride from Jasper to Banff.
Havoc The Cold Lake WRX Undertaking

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 07:24:16 am »
Damn, I feel old reading this thread.  Me and my '98 Rocky Mountain Blizzard hardtail..   I took that down the Whitemud toboggan hill once and went over the handle bars when I hit a rut near the bottom.  Split my helmet open in two places, gave me a sore neck for a week and a sprained wrist from the landing.  ouch!

At least my road bike is making me feel a little better now - '07 Opus Andante. :)
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:00 am »
I have a 2005 Rocky Mountain Vertex Team race (hardtail). Love this bike, and I would consider myself much more of a XC rider than anything else. This bike doesn't weigh much more than 20 lbs and it just an incredible overall bike.

I also own a 2006 Giant AC2. While not a complete downhill bike, it sure as hell isn't a full suspension XC bike. Pain in the assay and way too heavy to pedal up hills for any amount of distance :P
I have been to Rabbit hill a few times this year and really get a kick out of it. But have not had much time due to work to travel too far for weekends just to bike.

I really enjoy both, but if I had to choose between a day of downhill and a day of XC riding in equally beautiful (respectively) conditions and locations I would probably choose the XC ride.

*EDIT* - Last year I put road slicks on my Vertex because I was going to consider riding to work at least once a week during summer.
My ride is basically 50th St/167th Ave just off manning freeway out to the Shell Scotford site. This is a 76Km round trip as driven by car. Physically I had no problems doing it, however riding a bike on the highways out to site are simply INSANE. You are just rolling the dice and gambling your life being in anything other than an enclosed vehicle on these roads. I couldn't count the number of times I was nearly hit, or blown off the road by giant truckers. And this was during broad daylight.
I will never do that again, and will just settle for biking around after work and on weekends.... There are other ways to get exersize that don't involve me having a one in six chance of dying everytime I go out.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 07:56:34 am »
Ah, the climb up beside the stairs on Whitemud hill.

Good times, good times...

Offline OliverD

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 03:57:16 pm »
Haha, I "quit" after i learned backflips and 360's. As much as I tried to keep up and learn everything so I was considered "good" it just kept increasing more and more and more until i couldn't keep up and it almost wasn't about having fun anymore :-[

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 10:34:47 pm »
Was anyone else out on Moosepackers today (Friday)?

Offline pinkrobe

• Patchy Faced
  • Hung over
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 11:29:28 pm »
I wasn't, 'cause I had to uckfaying work all uckfaying day.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 09:29:35 am »
There were 2 other imprezas and an '08 FXT Sport in the parking lot.  More than that I *think* I recognized 2 people going thw wrong way up Moosepackers.

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 11:51:40 am »
I have a on-one gimp with a shiver SC hardtail that has been collecting dust for the past 3 years. It a pretty rare bike. Awsome for street/dirtjumps/park. Lots of funn to ride just have no time. I also have a cannondale hardtail with the lefty fork. More of a XC bike but still super nice

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline Johnny_B500

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2006 Legacy GT 5MT
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 05:17:24 pm »
It's not much but here's my bike: