Author Topic: Subs sliding around  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Patrick.O

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2002 wrx wrb
Subs sliding around
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:57:14 pm »
Just got my wrx a few days ago and im loving it accept for the fact that when i take corners with any speed at all the subs slide around in the trunk. Im worried they might break. They're in a box but the carpet slides around because of the dynamating in the trunk. Any suggestion for holding them down or keeping them in place

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
Re: Subs sliding around
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:29:29 pm »
bolt them down

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:27:38 pm »
Like stated - bolt them

I use two L brackets to keep them in place.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:55:18 pm »
a more non-invasive method is to use industrial-strength velcro (bought at any home depot).
have used this method on a few sub boxes in trunk installs, makes it easy to take out if needed.
if it's a hatch/wagon, or in any situation where the sub box could be a lethal projectile in a crash, bolt it down.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '18 Golf R
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:49:05 pm »
I used door hinges to bolt the sub down. There is a bar behind the back seats I bolted it to so I can still access the spare.
Kyle
NEL's Build
I don't care if people want to sell used dildos on here as long as they provide useful information for sex toy aficionados.

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
  • '09 wrx Hatchback (non-265)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:45:50 pm »
a more non-invasive method is to use industrial-strength velcro (bought at any home depot).
have used this method on a few sub boxes in trunk installs, makes it easy to take out if needed.
if it's a hatch/wagon, or in any situation where the sub box could be a lethal projectile in a crash, bolt it down.

This is what I do, it allows you to easily remove the sub if you really need to use your trunk like a trunk.

Offline evilspoons

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2012 STi, Sport-Tech, 5-door
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 08:12:55 am »
The "heavy duty" velcro you can get at Home Depot will work wonders (don't get the regular stuff). I used a couple strips to attach my amp to the carpet under the seat and not only does it not move, it takes serious effort to remove.

Offline whyte

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2015 wrx
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:38:53 am »
I pulled my back seats off and used a small boomer strap and than cranked er down to the framing solid as a rock
you're going to need a tune

Offline Stokes

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: BMW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »
I used Velcro as well. Makes it super easy to remove them if you ever need to

Offline dean_inc

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: STI
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »
I took a rubber tie down strap and screwed it to the back of my box, then I replaced the "S" hook with a small caribener and hooked it into the car seat anchor. Worked great and is easily removable!

Offline scooter

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 sti sport tech DGM
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 09:24:05 pm »
+1 for the industrial Velcro so easy to work with and it aint moving around unless your liner is moving

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:29:42 am »
I have a very ghetto solution for this.  I can post pics if you want.  Basically i bought some aluminum strips and built a removable bracket.  My sub comes out with the removal of two wing nuts.  I used one of the seat bars and one of the holes normally reserved for a christmas tree grommet

Offline GlennC

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:13:59 am »
Another good option is the plastic clips that come on dog collars or backpacks. I've used them a number of times by cutting them and torching the ends so they dont fray and then using washers to screw them to the vehicle and the box. This way you can get support on both the top and bottom of the box as opposed to velcro which is typically usually just on the bottom and can still allow the box to tip over in hard corners.

Mr. Installer